Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Old 08-01-2016, 04:27 PM

Hi Kids

Wow it's getting deep in here fast hahahaha
Lisa Everything on the internet is true it has to be cause I read it on the internets.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
can someone explain to this dummy how this swap works please.
We swap sarcasm until the fabric shows up!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:21 PM

Lynnie, please ignore the crazy people here. They've gotten slap happy waiting for this to begin. And because I think this might just be a real question, I'll answer with the easy version first: You send out fat eighths and they come back to you made into blocks by the other members, just as you will have done for their fat eighths. That's the gist of it.

You can read the long version in the first post of the signup thread. If you are willing to read all that, you might just want a cuppa joe to keep you awake through it. http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...280335-29.html

Follow along with with us this round and if it looks good to you, join us in January for Round 18!
Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
can someone explain to this dummy how this swap works please.

Last edited by Janice McC; 08-01-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
We swap sarcasm until the fabric shows up!
Who? Us? Be sarcastic? Say it ain't so! ����
Old 08-02-2016, 05:56 AM

I have had an interesting and fun few days. Received my DNA results back from ancestory. Com. And was very disappointed and skeptical of the results. Our family is Heinz 57, knew my great great grandmother was Native American and we had very little Scandinavian, which is very unusual in Minnesota The skepticism Is because Native American wasn't listed but only a trace amount of Scandinavianwas was listed and knew that was correct. Went online an started researching the census reports etc and have gone back as far as finding the parents of my great grand parents. Surprised to find out the DNA report is pretty accurate so far. Sure has turned out to be a fun and eye opening expierence I am Heinz 57 but according to the DNA results 47% is Western European and 29% is Irish Guess I will be wearing green from now on when it's St. Paddy's day
Old 08-02-2016, 06:06 AM

Reminder, everyone should reply to the email I sent out if you haven't yet done so. If anyone didn't receive it, please let me know asap. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2016, 06:15 AM

Very interesting! One of my minor hobbies is genealogy. I've been tempted to try the DNA as well. As far as I can tell, I'm exclusively Northern European but who knows what lurks a few more generations back. I figure we're all pretty much a mix of everything and everyone in the world, as you say Heinz 57, and everyone's blood flows red so we should all get along! Oops...off my soapbox.

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
I have had an interesting and fun few days. Received my DNA results back from ancestory. Com. And was very disappointed and skeptical of the results. Our family is Heinz 57, knew my great great grandmother was Native American and we had very little Scandinavian, which is very unusual in Minnesota The skepticism Is because Native American wasn't listed but only a trace amount of Scandinavianwas was listed and knew that was correct. Went online an started researching the census reports etc and have gone back as far as finding the parents of my great grand parents. Surprised to find out the DNA report is pretty accurate so far. Sure has turned out to be a fun and eye opening expierence I am Heinz 57 but according to the DNA results 47% is Western European and 29% is Irish Guess I will be wearing green from now on when it's St. Paddy's day
Old 08-02-2016, 06:29 AM

I'm very wary of stuff like the DNA samples and stuff written in genealogy books from years past. My moms side were Gallemores and dads side was Hawkins from New York....found a Gallemore book written by a long ago cousin and found mistakes immediately.. I did mine in the early 70's before internet, having to use micro film and books and letters (gasp)...I'm sure there are mistakes in mine but at least Ive found back as far as I can without having to go to Europe to continue...I'm lucky enough to have pictures of great grandparents on both sides and hand written letters on the Gallemore side...Don't know what will happen once I'm gone but at least all the kids, grandkids etc will have the basics! My advice to them will be DONT believe everything you read till you see it on an official document!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:14 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555174[/ATTACH]
How can this be a quilting thread & the only pics are Dolphins? I made this for Terri for her Boom 16 quilt. I didn't feel good about the one I had originally made her. This one has 80 pieces, hand sewn, then I sewed the strips together on the machine. But it measures exactly 12 1/2 inches. Just what I was hoping for! So many florals this time but I know I can't make them all Cleopatra's Fans, but I might try! Hey, this is the 3 month group, I might get more than I thought!

the haha about this is that I went to the ophthalmologist yesterday to get scanned & measured for removing my cataract & she said you are legally blind in your right eye! You all might wanna check & make sure I sent you a full fat eighth! The technician said I'm compensating with my left. I was 20/40 in June now I'm 20/100. Medications are good things with difficult side effects. But with the artificial lens in place there should be no more changes. So it is good I won't be building any quilt blocks until after next Thursday!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by GramE; 08-02-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:13 AM

GramE, that block is gorgeous!
My F8s went into the mail today. Tracking number sent to Janice.