Boom 17 - TOPAZ

Old 08-08-2016, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
OK I'm sharing now. I made this for my youngest daughter and I just put the last border on today. This quilt top has been a monkey on my back for over a year. it has driven me nuts. I started with a pattern for a couch quilt we loved the different boots and the funky setting then added the horse panels and wanted it queen size. Seriously it should not have been that difficult bit for some reason my math was off (shocker) my cutting was shall we say unique at times and my 1/4 inch seam allowance was at times non existent. I have sewn ripped sewn and redone some of this quilt more than once. Probably equal to 2 queen quilts. But the top is done She recently moved and will be living in Norway for 2 years so she wants it extra warm it has a dark brown minkee back and I am having it double batted with wool and quilters dream puff (a hi-loft poly). That should keep her warm but I am not looking forward to putting the binding on. [ATTACH=CONFIG]555628[/ATTACH]

I'm calling it "Boot Scoot Boogie Double Time."
A lifetime treasure for sure. Love the name! Awesome, unique quilt!

Wow, seasaw2mch. Love the red, white & blue!

Last edited by GramE; 08-08-2016 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Cause I wanted to!
Old 08-08-2016, 06:38 PM

Sea saw that is really jumping into the thick of things. Beautiful and can't believe how fast you put it together and you say you are rusty
Old 08-08-2016, 06:43 PM

Thank you all I'm pleased with it and she will Love it.

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
B Norway is a long way from California.
Don't I know it, to be fair she has not lived here for 5 years she graduated from NAU in Arizona, then at the end of that summer moved to Colorado, This past May went to Norway. She just got her residency card. But is saying she will return to the states in about 2 years. Probably Colorado again since that is where her horse is still and she loved it there.

Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
I've been busy myself this week. It seems that one quilt just wasn't enough. So I let DH pick out the pattern for this one and needless to say, he's not allowed to do that any more. Being rusty doesn't help with bias seems and the out side border was a real pain in my butt but I got it done. Now am waiting for my DD to show up this weekend to help me pin these tops together so I can finish them before Sept 24th.
I had a hard time taking these pictures so I got 3, one is most of the quilt, the 2nd one shows the pain in the but border and the 3rd one shows the colors because the white showed up plain and it has little black dots in it.
Sea it's beautiful I can see why that border gave you fits but it's truly awesome. I would probably still be curled up in the fetal position crying like a 2 year old if I tried to make that in a week.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:46 PM

Billi and Seasaw beautiful quilts!!!!
Old 08-09-2016, 05:39 AM

Boots - each one tells its own story - and all the various southwest/horsey prints around the edge. Work of love.

Seasaw - I love the quilt - I get bored doing the same block more than twice and am awed that others can. I can't even imagine me trying that border. I am usually so happy to have the top done I ignore the border! Face it - I am getting lazy
Old 08-09-2016, 06:58 AM

Sea I LOVE those colors together! Be sure and post when finished. Billi..WOW doesn't cover that quilt..I LOVE the boots. Where did you find the panels with that many different boots on them? I was at work and had the picture open and 2-3 people that were in here said WOW..I want one!! fat chance! LOL
Old 08-09-2016, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
Sea I LOVE those colors together! Be sure and post when finished. Billi..WOW doesn't cover that quilt..I LOVE the boots. Where did you find the panels with that many different boots on them? I was at work and had the picture open and 2-3 people that were in here said WOW..I want one!! fat chance! LOL
Joan the only panel is the horses in the middle and the 4 corner pieces all of the boots are appliqué and no 2 are exactly alike. The piano key border is all leftover fabrics from the boots.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:04 AM

I have finally chosen my fabric. I went to my LQS for something pastel'ish and came home with yards of this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555656[/ATTACH]

Not quite pastel, huh? It's also a larger print than I normally select but so be it. It makes me happy just looking at it. This is a fabric I used in a block swap last year. (Jaba, I think you might have a block made with this.) I loved it then but I didn't have much. Lo and behold, tucked in a corner, there it was. So I think I'll sash it in greens or possibly greens and the background cream to tone it down a bit. Don't know yet. But, decision finally made on the main fabric. Woo hoo! Time to prep it.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 08-09-2016, 08:15 AM

Seasaw, this is amazing. Rusty, huh? My fanny. On my best day I hope I'm as good as you are on your rusty days... Congrats on such a lovely piece.
Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
I've been busy myself this week. It seems that one quilt just wasn't enough. So I let DH pick out the pattern for this one and needless to say, he's not allowed to do that any more. Being rusty doesn't help with bias seems and the out side border was a real pain in my butt but I got it done. Now am waiting for my DD to show up this weekend to help me pin these tops together so I can finish them before Sept 24th.
I had a hard time taking these pictures so I got 3, one is most of the quilt, the 2nd one shows the pain in the but border and the 3rd one shows the colors because the white showed up plain and it has little black dots in it.

Last edited by Janice McC; 08-09-2016 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Spelling, again
Old 08-09-2016, 08:16 AM

Beautiful print and colors, love it.