Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Clean up your stash! >

Clean up your stash!

Clean up your stash!

Old 09-12-2016, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
You ladies should count your blessings for having a stash big enough to complain about. Mine is small, but I am growing it by joining the scrap swaps on this QB so I can cut up & ship yardage and get back 1 each of multiple scraps, then I have to buy fabric to fill in, but you cant buy scraps, just yardage. So I pick up a charm pack here and a jelly roll there and that helps. But I love scrap quilts the best, it will just take time to accrue. Wish I had an exploding suitcase (lol).
Since I'm just a beginner, I'm kind of here too (although I did stock up a little on fabric when I had some good sale/coupon combos). I love scrap quilts! But, I don't have the scraps to make them yet. I'm hoping to join some swaps soon. I wanted to do an eye spy swap, but didn't have the right fabric.

I've bought some 1/4 yard cuts of fabric, along with fat quarters (when 70% off), and I always look through the remnant bin at Joanne's.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:17 AM

I followed your great idea of following shop closings....I just ordered 40 yds of fabric in assorted fat qtrs to help build my stash.....may be soon I can make a real random scrapquilt. thanks for the tip.
Oh no! I'm an enabler. : )

Fat Quarters are a great way to build a scrap stash quickly. I pick them up because they are like pieces of candy (and hence frequently by the register for impulse buys).

I'm trying to work through some of them by cutting one or two 10 inch squares from each fat quarter and pairing them with a 10 inch square of a solid color or a neutral to make half square triangles (two 10 inch squares makes 8 - 4.5 inch unfinished hst). They are a handy size and shape for many projects (I like to pair them for scrappy flying geese).

edited to add - Jane Quilter, take a picture of your haul when you get it! We'd love to see forty yards of fat quarters!

Last edited by Notwendy; 09-13-2016 at 07:28 AM. Reason: additional point
Old 09-13-2016, 09:28 AM

I recently had the unexpected opportunity to clean out and donate my scraps to another seamstress! She does a lot of applique and I knew the scraps would be more likely used at her hands than at mine.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

You know we need new quilters to keep our craft alive....go forth and create stash....

My quilt guild is right behind me...last night's first meeting of the year is challenging us to a mystery quilt using stash fabrics...if needs be one can buy background fabric...think I'll be okay there too. We're making 2 blocks a month in 12 and/or 6" sizes...debut blocks last night...looking forward to it
Old 09-22-2016, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Granny9 View Post
a few months ago our guild had a speaker (can not remember her name for the life of me) on organizing your work area and UFO's. One question she asked us was why is it a UFO? Lost interest, need fabric to finish, She said to finish what we can and want to, the rest pass it on. Just because it started out to be a queen size, and you only have a few blocks done, change direction is fine, make a throw, baby quilt, table runner. I looked at my UFO's with different eyes, In one evening I lost 1/3 of my UFO's decided to pass them on to my guild to finish as comfort quilts. Another 1/3 were reworked into smaller quilts, the rest needed quilting which I have set aside 2 hr. per week to finish. only have 3 left to quilt. I also make myself do binding and label before I load the next one on the LA She also told us her stash s very small, mainly neutrals, She said her taste in colors changed with every project.
Granny9 thanks for sharing what the speaker had to say-thats a great way of looking it. we down sized and now it seems my projects are stashed every where and I keep forgetting about them. I am going to try practicing this.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:33 PM

When we moved to India from Milwaukee in 2008 I simply packed up everything and shipped it here. Instead of a large house with a full basement I now live in a flat (apartment). Since then I have hastily (yarn tied or large hand stitches) finished off many unfinished quilts and given them away. So many people here are grateful for anything soft to sleep on or under. I also discarded all my scraps because I'm not a fan of scrappy quilts. Sadly I miss my scraps because I have just started making an Applique quilt using a back basting method. Those scrap could have been used up.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Radhika View Post
When we moved to India from Milwaukee in 2008 I simply packed up everything and shipped it here. Instead of a large house with a full basement I now live in a flat (apartment). Since then I have hastily (yarn tied or large hand stitches) finished off many unfinished quilts and given them away. So many people here are grateful for anything soft to sleep on or under. I also discarded all my scraps because I'm not a fan of scrappy quilts. Sadly I miss my scraps because I have just started making an Applique quilt using a back basting method. Those scrap could have been used up.
...good to thin out occasionally, but inevitably, down the road, that's the one you wished you had kept! Just can't win!

interesting...moving to India...quite an experience I get...tell us more!
Old 10-17-2016, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Notwendy View Post
Oh no! I'm an enabler. : )

Fat Quarters are a great way to build a scrap stash quickly. I pick them up because they are like pieces of candy (and hence frequently by the register for impulse buys).

I'm trying to work through some of them by cutting one or two 10 inch squares from each fat quarter and pairing them with a 10 inch square of a solid color or a neutral to make half square triangles (two 10 inch squares makes 8 - 4.5 inch unfinished hst). They are a handy size and shape for many projects (I like to pair them for scrappy flying geese).

edited to add - Jane Quilter, take a picture of your haul when you get it! We'd love to see forty yards of fat quarters!
shop going out of business, bought 40 yards of fat qtr for $1.00 / pc. Lovely assortment of modern fabrics:
Old 10-17-2016, 01:55 PM

shop going out of business, bought 40 yards of fat qtr for $1.00 / pc. Lovely assortment of modern fabrics:
Now those will make a great scrappy quilt! Thanks for sharing the picture. I see more than a few that I have in my own stash.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:35 PM

3 months ago I got motivated and went through my stash! YES! I thought, finally got things sorted. Got my panels and kits together, donated some scraps to a friend, donated some quilt tops to the local op shop for the ladies to finish off (they enjoy this and love the different tops they receive). Hubby pipes up - house could do with a freshen up paint. ... Son pipes up - wouldn't mind shifting into the larger bedroom. .... One thing leads to another and my nice tidy room is a messy storage room! ! The bright side though.... when all is complete I get to shift in to son's old room which is twice the size of current sewing room! ! YAY!