Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
The future home of my long arm. >

The future home of my long arm.

The future home of my long arm.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:40 AM

Looking good but I too wondered about your winter weather.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:46 AM

dc989 - the building will be fully insulated, with baseboard heat and portable AC (the kind that looks like a dehumidifier) which is the same as we have in our 130 year old farmhouse.

We'll keep the heat on all winter, to keep it above freezing, so when I want to quilt I'll need to turn the heat up a bit, however I like it around 65 in the winter, so it won't take that long to warm it up. Since we also have chickens, my husband normally cleans a path to the coop, so he'll clean a path here too. Otherwise I'll be wading through the snow.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:53 AM

Oh, that's wonderful. You won't have a girl cave, but a girl mansion with all those lovely machines surrounding you.
And a husband to shovel snow for you as well. What else could you ask for?
Old 09-08-2015, 08:10 AM

I love the idea of your building. For several years I have been thinking about building a shed or an addition to my house for a bigger quilting room. I think the shed idea might be less expensive but having a addition might be better for resale if I ever sell which I doubt I will. I just don't know what to do yet. Hopefully I'll figure it out by next year. Yours will be so nice when you get it all done. Have fun in your new building.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:08 AM

Your new space.....terrific! Your view....fantastic!! This is an area I could enjoy every day of the year,,,,,rain, sun,snow, etc etc. I am so very happy for you. You should be able to do some grand quilting!!!
Old 09-08-2015, 04:05 PM

I love all that land, all of those big beautiful trees. You are so lucky.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:35 AM

Belfrybat - this is my husband using his "shovel" to haul away parts of the first half of this building. So he does not work real hard clearing paths in the snow.

He hopes to finish up the blockwork today - since he's using the existing footings - and they are not level, it takes a bit more work to get the blocks set correctly. But once that is done he can start framing and then it starts looking like he's making progress.

DH told me his goal is to have it ready to turn over to me by the end of November, which means it will be ready to paint. So if things go well, I could be moved in for Christmas! That would be so awesome! Even if that does mean I'll be moving stuff out there after there is snow on the ground.

I think I'll use the same color in the other side - I still need to do some touchup paint there too - so I can do both at the same time.

This is a picture of the west end - the brown door will open into the new side that will have the longarm. The east side will not have a vaulted ceiling, which makes it simpler to sheetrock and paint, and easier to hang lights over the longarm.

We'll also be installing the old cabinets I took out of the family farmhouse last summer. I sure have missed my summer kitchen the last few weeks!

Last edited by Macybaby; 09-10-2015 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:21 AM

WOW!!! That's a collection alright. Love how you did the shelves for them also. Beautiful!!!
You'll enjoy your wonderful space once it's finished.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:46 PM

That is going to be awesome Cathy!! It will be a great place for your LA!! Please post pics of your progress!
Old 09-21-2015, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Great space for you to play....