Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: how do you keep your block layout straight

I have a design wall (reverse plastic tablecloth) and once Ive figured out the dupinal setting, i pin a label on each piece. For example

1-1, 1-2, 1-3
    2-1, 2-2, 2-3
    3-1, 3-2, 3-3 etc...

Then i take them off as I go, but I leave the first one on until I start sewing rows.
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

Keeping blocks organized

Quote Originally Posted by showmehow View Post
    I have a small sewing room, no place to layout my blocks. I placed them on my bed to see how I wanted the pattern to go, as I picked them up i realized how easily I could mess the pattern up. Is there some method I could use to keep that from happening? Im a super new quilter.
    The best way is to take a photo of it. I do this every time because I have gotten the layout mixed up so many times.emily

I too use a flannel backed tablecloth ... I put command hooks in my hallway wall and binder clips on the tablecloth to hang it while I'm working on the quilt. When I'm done or company coming I can take down the tablecloth. Picture of layout is always a good idea. I tend to sew a little slower ... I take a couple blocks from different area of the quilt sew, press and put back ... repeat. I know it's slower but I don't have to waste time trying to put it back like it was.

I lay blocks out on my bed and number the rows. I tear a bit of paper, put the row number on and attach w/a small safety pin. Then I sew the rows together. The numbers and pins stay until the top is done. As I age I must do things differently so I don't have to do so much ripping.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I cover all bases (confusion is my middle name somedays). Lay out on bed, take photo, pin on numbers, make a "mud map" on a bit of paper. If your computer is near your machine, you can also load up the photo and bring it up on screen to use as a reference when you are working.

Great ideas. Right now I don't have a good place to layout my design. Going to get a table cloth. I've got one wall in my sewing room that if I removed some things, I could put up my "design wall". I can get things all mixed up while I'm sewing so there are some really neat ideas about numbering, etc. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness. - Dave Barry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
    I cut up old calendars and use the #'s with a stick pin on the top of each row when I have it laid out. I then stack top to bottom. I put them in order and put in a baggie with the graph design of the top.
    I KNEW there would come a day when all those old calendars would come in handy!!! woo hooooo!!

I've loved reading ALL these posts... you guys are the best!!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

I pretty much do all of the above -- and I have a nice design wall, but normally I start something without finishing what I have going so I lay a sheet (preferabley flannel) or extra piece of batting on the bed, transfer the blocks and then fold it up (normally I mark the first block in a row -- lately I have been using those little "clothes pins" that have a red side and a white side and write a row number on the end). Since I have several UFOs going, I pin a label on the "package" telling me the pattern and where to find the pattern. I tie it with long selvage strips that I tear off of the strips I use for binding.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
    I cut up old calendars and use the #'s with a stick pin on the top of each row when I have it laid out. I then stack top to bottom. I put them in order and put in a baggie with the graph design of the top.
    What a great idea. Who doesn't have old calendars laying around. I do because my mom thinks I might want the pictures. haha Now I know what to do with them.

I usually use scraps of paper and pin to the individual blocks...example...Row 1 Block 1...etc.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast