Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
how do you keep your block layout straight >

how do you keep your block layout straight

how do you keep your block layout straight

Old 03-05-2013, 08:24 AM

I use flannel-backed tablecloth, the flannel side. I lay it on my bed while thinking and juggling. Then I roll it up for the night and unroll the next morning. I learned this while taking a class, just roll and go!!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 PM

I use little sticky tags. Cheap a the dollar store and I don't have to worry if I drop one and loose a needle in the floor.(diabetic) When I am cutting pieces for blocks, I often use a piece of scrap paper and a pin.
Country1
Old 03-05-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
I use flannel-backed tablecloth, the flannel side. I lay it on my bed while thinking and juggling. Then I roll it up for the night and unroll the next morning. I learned this while taking a class, just roll and go!!
I like this idea. That way you can just roll and unroll later for another look before making a final decision! Thanks for sharing!
Country1
Old 03-05-2013, 02:59 PM

Here is a method that I have used with success in the past. After laying the blocks out in the order I like, I take a manila folder for each row and place the blocks in the folder with the first block on the left on the top. I place each block in order under the first. Each folder is labeled is as to the row, first, second, third, etc. It works well for me.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:57 PM

I covered a large piece of cardboad (about 24X24) with a flannel backed table cloth, and wraped it to the back and taped it with masking tape. My fabric sticks to it just fine. I also have a full size table cloth pinned to my wall for the project as I put it together. I have a small one I use at the swing machine so I don't get the pieces out of order.

Last edited by misspriss; 03-05-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:02 PM

If you use old sewing machine needles as "thumb"tacks to put the flannel backed table cloth on the wall it not leave holes. Old military picture hanging trick..
Old 03-05-2013, 04:04 PM

Put a tablecloth backwards on the wall so the flannel is facing out towards you. Then put your blocks up on the flannel. You can easily re-arrange them any time you want-as many times as you want. We do this in our quilting group. We have about 4 table cloths hanging around the room so we can all use them at different times. Then if you are really careful you can even take the table cloth down with your blocks inside. Just carefully roll the table cloth up or carefully fold it. Or you can take a digital picture of your blocks before you take your table cloth down and then just put it up again some other time.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Banned

I always take a photo of the layout. My layouts are either on a bed, or the clean floor. A photo also helps me find any mistakes if there are any. Somehow they show up on the photo when you don't notice them with just your eyes. I keep my phone handy and refer to the photo as I make changes and take updated photos, or use it as I sew the blocks together.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:28 PM

I use a wall quilt so I can place them where I want them on a wall then grab, pin and run to machine to sew on edge I pinned to NOT get wrong sides stitched. I love my wall quilt!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 PM

I always use post it notes but don't depend on the stickiness...also use a straight pin to hold them in place. I lable the row and the position: 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, etc...and I always put them in the same position on each block...in my case I always use upper right hand corner...this tells me row and position in row, as well as how to orient it. I always position well away from the seam. It works well...saw this on some of the quilt shows but don't remember which.