Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how do you keep your block layout straight

If you use old sewing machine needles as "thumb"tacks to put the flannel backed table cloth on the wall it not leave holes. Old military picture hanging trick..

Put a tablecloth backwards on the wall so the flannel is facing out towards you. Then put your blocks up on the flannel. You can easily re-arrange them any time you want-as many times as you want. We do this in our quilting group. We have about 4 table cloths hanging around the room so we can all use them at different times. Then if you are really careful you can even take the table cloth down with your blocks inside. Just carefully roll the table cloth up or carefully fold it. Or you can take a digital picture of your blocks before you take your table cloth down and then just put it up again some other time.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I always take a photo of the layout. My layouts are either on a bed, or the clean floor. A photo also helps me find any mistakes if there are any. Somehow they show up on the photo when you don't notice them with just your eyes. I keep my phone handy and refer to the photo as I make changes and take updated photos, or use it as I sew the blocks together.

Blog Entries
    I use a wall quilt so I can place them where I want them on a wall then grab, pin and run to machine to sew on edge I pinned to NOT get wrong sides stitched. I love my wall quilt!

I always use post it notes but don't depend on the stickiness...also use a straight pin to hold them in place. I lable the row and the position: 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, etc...and I always put them in the same position on each block...in my case I always use upper right hand corner...this tells me row and position in row, as well as how to orient it. I always position well away from the seam. It works well...saw this on some of the quilt shows but don't remember which.

Buy flannel backed tablecloths. I use them constantly. I have no place to put my blocks up either and started using the tablecloths. I move them around and then fold them up into the tablecloth when I am finished. They fold up really nice, or roll them. When you are ready to quilt again, get out the tablecloth.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I laid it out again and will take a picture and start labeling. Hopefully I can keep it in order.
    Live well, Love often, Pray daily

Put a pin in the first block of each row and sew each row individually. I also put them on a bed as I don't have a design wall. First block of the first row gets one pin, first block of the second row gets two pins, etc.
    Last edited by lclang; 03-06-2013 at 06:03 AM. Reason: make it more clear

Quote Originally Posted by collady View Post
    Here is a method that I have used with success in the past. After laying the blocks out in the order I like, I take a manila folder for each row and place the blocks in the folder with the first block on the left on the top. I place each block in order under the first. Each folder is labeled is as to the row, first, second, third, etc. It works well for me.
    Great idea. Thanks
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Blog Entries
    I don't have a lot of wall space myself but behind the door I put a design wall up there. just a small one, the width of the door, but it works well enough. if doing a bit one the best is the floor or your bed. As I still use both. good luck to you.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

I LOVE the flannel-back tablecloth idea!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    No need for fancy pins - if you have flower head pins you can write on the "flower" part with a sharpie
    soooo smart!
    Beth

I go through tiny post-it notes like crazy!!! I have used dot stickers as well. Be glad you don't have a cat that loves to run through them and scatter them the minute you get them laid out. My cat pretends I don't exist until I am in the middle of something like that!!!!

Definitely, the phone or camera helps, especially if you print out the photo. The row markers can also help. Another one is do the row markers and then place each row in a baggie.

Blog Entries
    I cut up old calendars and use the #'s with a stick pin on the top of each row when I have it laid out. I then stack top to bottom. I put them in order and put in a baggie with the graph design of the top.

I have a design wall (reverse plastic tablecloth) and once Ive figured out the dupinal setting, i pin a label on each piece. For example

1-1, 1-2, 1-3
    2-1, 2-2, 2-3
    3-1, 3-2, 3-3 etc...

Then i take them off as I go, but I leave the first one on until I start sewing rows.
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

Keeping blocks organized

Quote Originally Posted by showmehow View Post
    I have a small sewing room, no place to layout my blocks. I placed them on my bed to see how I wanted the pattern to go, as I picked them up i realized how easily I could mess the pattern up. Is there some method I could use to keep that from happening? Im a super new quilter.
    The best way is to take a photo of it. I do this every time because I have gotten the layout mixed up so many times.emily

I too use a flannel backed tablecloth ... I put command hooks in my hallway wall and binder clips on the tablecloth to hang it while I'm working on the quilt. When I'm done or company coming I can take down the tablecloth. Picture of layout is always a good idea. I tend to sew a little slower ... I take a couple blocks from different area of the quilt sew, press and put back ... repeat. I know it's slower but I don't have to waste time trying to put it back like it was.

I lay blocks out on my bed and number the rows. I tear a bit of paper, put the row number on and attach w/a small safety pin. Then I sew the rows together. The numbers and pins stay until the top is done. As I age I must do things differently so I don't have to do so much ripping.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I cover all bases (confusion is my middle name somedays). Lay out on bed, take photo, pin on numbers, make a "mud map" on a bit of paper. If your computer is near your machine, you can also load up the photo and bring it up on screen to use as a reference when you are working.

Great ideas. Right now I don't have a good place to layout my design. Going to get a table cloth. I've got one wall in my sewing room that if I removed some things, I could put up my "design wall". I can get things all mixed up while I'm sewing so there are some really neat ideas about numbering, etc. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    There is a very fine line between hobby and mental illness. - Dave Barry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
    I cut up old calendars and use the #'s with a stick pin on the top of each row when I have it laid out. I then stack top to bottom. I put them in order and put in a baggie with the graph design of the top.
    I KNEW there would come a day when all those old calendars would come in handy!!! woo hooooo!!

I've loved reading ALL these posts... you guys are the best!!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

I pretty much do all of the above -- and I have a nice design wall, but normally I start something without finishing what I have going so I lay a sheet (preferabley flannel) or extra piece of batting on the bed, transfer the blocks and then fold it up (normally I mark the first block in a row -- lately I have been using those little "clothes pins" that have a red side and a white side and write a row number on the end). Since I have several UFOs going, I pin a label on the "package" telling me the pattern and where to find the pattern. I tie it with long selvage strips that I tear off of the strips I use for binding.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
    What a great idea. Who doesn't have old calendars laying around. I do because my mom thinks I might want the pictures. haha Now I know what to do with them.

I usually use scraps of paper and pin to the individual blocks...example...Row 1 Block 1...etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast