Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Power cord from the ceiling for your longarm? >

Power cord from the ceiling for your longarm?

Power cord from the ceiling for your longarm?

Old 12-21-2016, 05:40 AM

I have mine in the ceiling with a rod that keeps the travel with a spring. Never gets in the way on either side of the machine.[ATTACH=CONFIG]564151[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0382.jpg  
Old 12-28-2016, 07:31 AM

When I bought this house and knew my sewing room would be in the basement I had my electrician do just that, add the outlet in the ceiling so I wouldn't trip over the cords. As I have robotics installed on my system that was another cord plus the auto advance cord so 3 cords. Then I added my laptop for the webcam attached to the under side of the machine so yet another cord. I have them all plugged into a outlet on the ceiling. Its not pretty but I don't trip over them and they don't get caught on anything going back and forth on the frame. I have all my embroidery and quilting threads behind the frame so I'm back there from time to time so another reason to get them off the floor.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:15 AM

When I bought this present house I knew my sewing/quilting room would occupy the basement so I had my electrician add more plugs around the 2 rooms and one up onto the rafter about where the middle of my frame would be. Had him add a shelf to hold the surge protector so all I need to do to turn it on or off is one switch. I have auto-advance on the frame so there's one plug and robotics so another plug plus the machine itself. Then I added a webcam for the underside connected to my laptop at one end of the frame which is plugged into another ceiling plug. So I'm glad for these ceiling plugs as I don't seem to trip over the cords now when I go to the back side to find a thread located on the pegboard behind the frame.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:05 PM

I used to have one in my laundry room for my iron. I loved it. Never had to worry about my cord being in the way. We ha to redo the laundry room ceiling and had to do away with my plug. Really miss it.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:51 AM

I have plugs in my ceiling that are connected to a light switch downstairs. Very easy to turn off. All other plugs in wall are normal. My iron is on a serge protector with a lamp on it also, can see from other end of attic ( by bedroom)
Old 08-18-2017, 12:23 PM

Is it an option to install an outlet in the floor underneath the longarm instead?

If not, I think I'd go for the ceiling outlet.

I hate tripping hazards, so stretching a cord across the floor would be my very last option.

My sewing room is my living room and I have a machine isolated out in the middle of the room right now - I'm considering getting one of those outlet adapters that I can screw into the light fixture that hangs directly above it if I can't figure out a better arrangement in the room. Unfortunately a floor outlet is not an option for me.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

I do not have a long arm machine, but I have the cord for my iron coming down so that the cats do not knock the iron on the floor.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:06 AM

My DH was as practical as yours. This keeps all the cords off the floor. He installed a twist plug in the ceiling with a short extension cord to plug in my machine when I wanted to use it. You will love not walking over the cord.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:58 AM

My machine is plugged into a heavy duty extension cord in the center under the table, then the extension cord is ran to the end of the table around a leg support to a low wall outlet. The cord has never been in the way, nor has it ever caught on anything, but I do not store anything under my longarm table except for rolls of batting, which are out of the cord's way.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:08 AM

You could mount a retractable extension cord to the ceiling. Then when you aren't using it, reel it back up.

http://www.rockler.com/12-gauge-retr...sion-cord-reel