Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Experimental Bargello!  by Danmar >

My Experimental Bargello! by Danmar

My Experimental Bargello! by Danmar

Old 03-28-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Phyl
Beautiful BUT.....Be sure to sew up one way... and down the other... so your material won't stretch and get wavy. I know. I did that in my excitement. Sigh....just a word to the wise. Your colors are beautiful. Have fun.

WOW......I didn't look further down......Your quilt is gorgeous! Apparently you do sew the correct way!!!! I just love it. You are the talented one!
Thank you very much Phyl for the compliment and the tip! I hope that it's not too late. The previous pictures are with the strips just laid out. I've never done this and don't have a pattern, so I'm laying everything out to see how I want to make it. But.........

My little helpers, my 3 kitty cats, can be such a nuisance when they want to be. They like getting a running start and then slide on the material or quilt on the floor. I had a lot of strips laid out and I've had to put them back where they belong about 6-8 times. So I decided to sew little sections of some of it together. (The parts that I know will be where they are.)

I sewed them all from the same end, so that my seams were going the way I was sewing. I still looks alright but now I'll sew them like you said. Thank YOU! I'd hate to get it all sewed and have to rip it out!

Here's a current picture. It is now sewn from the stove to about the middle of the picture at the joint. I'm not going to sew anymore right now though. I'm going to cut some more strips and figure out where I'm going next. That piece on the right won't be that long.....probably. We'll see.

Thanks again for the tip. You saved my bargello!
Marilyn

My Current Picture.....So Far 3-28-10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34792[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-34792.jpe  
Old 03-28-2010, 04:20 PM

Love our colors. Thanks for letting us watch your wip.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:45 PM

It really is gorgeous!
I had sewn my bargello but couldn't understand what had happened. (Newbie quilter at the time. I STILL am, just about five years and learning everyday.)
I took my embarrassment along with me to my class so I could learn and it taught me some great lessons! I was too aggravated to rip it out though and put it away for several months. Then I took it out, cut out the flat parts with a six and one half inch square ruler and used the parts to make a quilt that looked like a kimono! It was quite nice but a terrible waste of time....except for the invaluable learning part. I haven't been brave enough to try it again yet. I will live through YOUR gorgeous work!!! Thanks pal. Keep up the great work.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:55 PM

Do you leave it on your kitchen floor?! Just wondering if you have to walk around it . . . .??!! It is going to be beautiful! It is awesome watching you "construct" it!
Old 03-28-2010, 05:17 PM

It really is gorgeous!
I had sewn my bargello but couldn't understand what had happened. (Newbie quilter at the time. I STILL am, just about five years and learning everyday.)
I took my embarrassment along with me to my class so I could learn and it taught me some great lessons! I was too aggravated to rip it out though and put it away for several months. Then I took it out, cut out the flat parts with a six and one half inch square ruler and used the parts to make a quilt that looked like a kimono! It was quite nice but a terrible waste of time....except for the invaluable learning part. I haven't been brave enough to try it again yet. I will live through YOUR gorgeous work!!! Thanks pal. Keep up the great work.
Thank you Phyl! I am sure that I would have real problems if mine turned out all wavy and stretched. I probably wouldn't have the patience to rip it all apart. I'd probably just give it to somebody!

I'm still kind of a newbie to quilting too. I've just been quilting for the past year and a half! I'm sorry about your "Learning Experience". I thank you for saving me from making the same mistake. It would be a real waste of time and fabric.

Well, it looks like mine is Probably,...probably going to work out alright. Especially now, thanks to you!
Marilyn
Old 03-28-2010, 06:17 PM

My cousin, a fabulous professional quilter, said to make any quilt better, just slow down. If I had done that, I probably wouldn't have had the problem. Your layout is so stunning, go slowly and I can't wait to see it "happening". Marilyn, it's so nice to meet you. Phyllis
Old 03-28-2010, 06:36 PM

My cousin, a fabulous professional quilter, said to make any quilt better, just slow down. If I had done that, I probably wouldn't have had the problem. Your layout is so stunning, go slowly and I can't wait to see it "happening". Marilyn, it's so nice to meet you. Phyllis
It's nice to meet you too Phyllis! I just finished getting another tubes worth of strips ready to put somewhere in the quilt. I'm not sure what or where I'm going next. I'll post pictures!

BTW, when I finished ironing them just now and took them to the kitchen, my cat Chub-Chub has attacked the quilt again.
We thought that if we covered it up with a sheet, they wouldn't mess with it, but that just gives them something else to slide on! As soon as I get it all laid back out, I'm back to designing.

Thanks Phyllis and I'll go slow.
Marilyn

This is what my Chub-Chub likes to do :o)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34946[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-34946.jpe  
Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 PM

OMG!!!! Chub Chub wants your attention! LOL!!!!!!!!!!
"Tis better to laugh than to swing the cat!!!"
On that note, I'm going to sleep and will connect in the morning to see what's on "Quilting with Cats!" (A new soap opera!) "Night....Phyllis
Old 03-28-2010, 09:21 PM

OMG!!!! Chub Chub wants your attention! LOL!!!!!!!!!!
"Tis better to laugh than to swing the cat!!!"
On that note, I'm going to sleep and will connect in the morning to see what's on "Quilting with Cats!" (A new soap opera!) "Night....Phyllis
I never really get mad at the cats for doing this. Aggravated sometimes though. But normally I just start laughing. It is soooo funny watching them go sliding. I can't believe they even like to. They are just too funny! LOL Good Night Phyllis. Sleep well.
Marilyn
Old 03-28-2010, 09:45 PM

I'm back. I have been trying out different layouts so I could see what I like. I have alot of pictures but I don't know how many I should put on here. Does anyone know if there is a limit to picture posting?

I haven't cut the last tube yet. I needed to decide where I would put it first, so I would cut the right sizes. I've got a good idea of how I am going to finish it now. I will tell you about the pictures. So that everyone know what I'm talking about, let's call the first wave that I did, the First side. The second wave that I did, we'll refer to as the other one. So, First or other.

Picture #1
Sorry for the glare on the floor in the first picture. I am thinking about reversing the colors there and going for a ways to make the wedge a little smaller.
Picture #2
I also thought about just bringing the yellow and white on down, instead of reversing colors. I don't like this option because they are too light.
Picture #3
This shows how big the wedge is. I have a great idea for the wedges so that is already taken care of. You can see more detail and layout in this.

The Other Side and See How Big the Wedge Is?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34882[/ATTACH]

Option with Reversed Dark Colors
[ATTACH=CONFIG]35028[/ATTACH]

Option of bringing the yellow and white on down
[ATTACH=CONFIG]35029[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-34882.jpe   attachment-35028.jpe   attachment-35029.jpe