Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What would you charge >

What would you charge

What would you charge

Old 12-26-2012, 04:23 PM

i have a relative that makes her living going to craft shows with her finished products. she purchased a lap quilt similiar to yellow brick road. for $120 to show me how much money i could make if i would take my quilts 'on the road'.
she says, that people who have money are spending it, like there is no tomorrow. she just couldn't wrap her mind around the fact, that i was retired, and did not want to 'go into business' making quilts.
i'm sure it depends on the market. hope you get a good price for it, because it is worth every bit of $300. that is an intricate pattern. ........and in the right market it would be worth $400-$500. if it was a queen size.

Last edited by sewNso; 12-26-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by nabobw View Post
Sorry but your husband did not do all the work.
LOL no your right,but it is his MOTHER.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 AM

I think $150 is to little
Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 AM

I had the same problem when starting making quilts for other. DO NOT sell yourself cheap. YOU have a talent that the buyer does not have. If they want it, they will buy it. You shoulD charge 3 times the amount it cost in materials unless it's a quilt that has tons small pieces. $150.oo is way too low!
Here is how I learned my mistake....I donated a baby quilt to a cancer auction. It had my business name on the label. Because it was for a wonderful cause, I did a lot of special hand quilting on it besides machine quilting.
The new owner called me to tell me how she loved it. She just gushed over my little quilt. Then she wanted me to make 2 quilts for her girls twin beds with the same material, pattern and so on.
I explained that the particular fabric had been in my stash for a few years and I didn't know if I could find it.....she replies..."but I love those butterflies!".
I told her that the cost would be $150. ...she thought that was fair....( for both quilts) I told her just for one and she let out a deep breath. I had forgot to tell her she had to buy all the fabric, batting and thread. She said she would talk to her hubby and call me back.

She called back 2'days later informing me that she had went to Walmart and she could buy them ALOT cheaper there and thought I should come down on my price. Oh....and she wanted them done in 3 weeks! I tried to say as SWEETLY as I could......" u know, I think you should go buy your blankets at Walmart."

DO NOT UNDERSELL YOURSELF!!!! You will not make,yourself happy. So make one quilt for the shop and put a great pricing on it that pays you for your time and talent and make some place mats and table,runners and see what the people want. Good luck my friend.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 AM

agreed $150 is way to low-good luck
Old 03-16-2013, 12:37 AM

Followed this with interest and am aching to know - Did it sell at $225????
It is such a pretty quilt- would never have thought that colour combo would work, but it TOTALLY does :-)
Please update us????!!!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by melodyg View Post
My mother in law just retired and opened a country craft shop. She asked me to make a couple of lap quilts for her shop since she is getting requests from customers. This quilt is 59 x 59. What would you charge. I was thinking 150 before I finished it. Now that I am done, 150 barely covers the cost of making it. What would you charge. ( My dear husband thinks 150 is way too much ) Really???
Hi melodyg
It has been a few months since you wrote this post, and I too am curious to know if it sold for the price you wanted.
I just read the whole post today and I liked the comments you had from the members.
One quilter said something like... it's the people who have the money who buy and you never know when someone will come in with the $$$
your post was just around Chrismas time after most if not all Xmas gifts had been bought. Soon, it will be tourist season. Keep us posted please. The discussion here has been very informative for those who are thinking of selling their quilt. Not me as I only have one quilt completed, and I am handquilting my second one.
Great post
Old 03-16-2013, 03:19 AM

We seldom can get what our work is truly worth.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:23 AM

A friend of mine looked on eBay to see if anyone was selling there and the prices. She tried to sell in an area loosing jobs her quilts with no success.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:16 AM

I have sent 5 quilts to my Mother In Law for her shop and as of yet none have sold. But, it's a small town in PA and she is only open 3 days a week. So we will see......