Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > QB Help Center
Malicious web threat >

Malicious web threat

Malicious web threat

Old 11-22-2013, 04:57 AM

Angry Malicious web threat

Category: Intrusion Prevention
Date & Time,Risk,Activity,Status,Recommended Action,IPS Alert Name,Default Action,Action Taken,Attacking Computer,Attacker URL,Destination Address,Source Address,Traffic Description
11/22/2013 7:40:30 AM,High,An intrusion attempt by blomzysod.in.ua was blocked.,Blocked,No Action Required,Web Attack: Malicious Exploit Kit Website,No Action Required,No Action Required,"blomzysod.in.ua (94.242.216.6, 80)",blomzysod.in.ua/zt3nujb/?2,"JMSEWINGROOM13 (192.168.0.2, 50098)",94.242.216.6 (94.242.216.6),"TCP, www-http"
Network traffic from blomzysod.in.ua/zt3nujb/?2 matches the signature of a known attack. The attack was resulted from \DEVICE\HARDDISKVOLUME2\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE. To stop being notified for this type of traffic, in the Actions panel, click Stop Notifying Me.
================================================== ====================

I just copied this from Norton. It appears EVERY time I sign into the Quilting Board. Does anyone else get this? How can I prevent this from happening other than letting Norton find it every day.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Have you tried this: To stop being notified for this type of traffic, in the Actions panel, clickStop Notifying Me.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

And the "Actions panel" would be found where?
Old 11-22-2013, 03:54 PM

What Norton product do you have?
Old 11-22-2013, 04:30 PM

I have not received this web virus, however, everyday when I login to the QB, my "Kapersky" virus protection comes on. It always tells me that it is blocking a malicious URL. It does not stay on long enough for me to read it in its entirety. When it shows again, I attempt to finish reading it where I left off. I was told a few months ago by "Kapersky" that someone is trying to hack into my computer and for another fee, besides the one I pay them annually, they will be able to take care of it. I cannot afford to do this and why should I pay for this when I have the protection from them already. Needless to say, my computer has been acting up a lot lately. Several days ago, I tried to login and when I did, it bought me to a page that said that I did not have the tools to view private messages. I was hesitant to follow the directions on this page because I did not know if this was legit or not. Also, every time I go into the QB and the first page comes up. There is always a large white mailing envelope on the screen that says "Urgent Messages". When I click on the envelope I am directed to the same screen about not having the tools to view private messages. I have reported this to Patrice and also to Contact and Information Procedures in detail. I am waiting to hear something. Incidentally, I just got my laptop out of the shop about a month ago. It had viruses and they cleaned it up. I was told by the guy at Best Buy that when the computer leaves their shop it is cleaned up. However, when you get it home and connect to your network, it just gets infected with viruses again. Its a vicious cycle. Sometimes I just feel like giving up the computer, its such a nuciance. I know this is misspelled but I don't have time to check the spelling. Good luck with your problem. Lucy
Old 11-22-2013, 04:31 PM

By the way, if anyone is familiar with the problem I am having above, please let me know. Thanks , Lucy
Old 11-22-2013, 04:40 PM

Luce, before you click on anything, hover the mouse over the place where it says 'click here' and then look below in the lower left hand corner of your web browser, just above where your start button is (on firefox or chrome, it is on the other side over the date/time on IE) it will display the URL address of where that link is going.

So when you see something like that big envelope and you hover over it, before clicking, you should see in that url address that pops up something like http://www.quiltingboard.com/.... if it does not say that, it is a spam or something taking you to a virus loader.

Hackers and thieves will try to mask their links so that it looks like the website you are on, always the easiest way is to see the url address it is trying to take you to.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:54 PM

Default Malicious web threat

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
Luce, before you click on anything, hover the mouse over the place where it says 'click here' and then look below in the lower left hand corner of your web browser, just above where your start button is (on firefox or chrome, it is on the other side over the date/time on IE) it will display the URL address of where that link is going.

So when you see something like that big envelope and you hover over it, before clicking, you should see in that url address that pops up something like http://www.quiltingboard.com/.... if it does not say that, it is a spam or something taking you to a virus loader.

Hackers and thieves will try to mask their links so that it looks like the website you are on, always the easiest way is to see the url address it is trying to take you to.
Carolyn, thanks for the tip. I did what you suggested and sure enough it was not the QB address. From now on I will not click on anything unless I do what you advised. Thanks again, Lucy
Old 11-22-2013, 09:17 PM

Carolyn - So if it does not say QB... it is a spam or something taking you to a virus loader then how do I delete that? Thanks, I'm getting tired of that message. I appreciate your help,
Old 11-23-2013, 05:33 AM

The computer guy who works on my computer tells me the best virus protection out there is the free protection offered by Microsoft. We've used Norton's (got a huge virus that locked up the entire computer), Kaspersky (got viruses that affected how it was used by changing my programs constantly), and AVG (lots and lots of problems). I'm about ready to listen to him and try what he says. It's for sure the ones we've paid big bucks for have not done the job. I'm very careful about what I open and download as well, but nothing is foolproof.