2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-10-2014, 07:10 PM

The mother to be is actually having a boy. She requested the bright colors. At first I was not sure, but I was very happy with the finished quilt.

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Martina: What a diabolical method to stop buying fabric, just spend all available money on a knocked out machine. Good luck with the negotiations! Anoka: I too was on the train ride. Love what you did with the colors. The quilt will transition beautifully as the little girl becomes a toddler.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:01 AM

Ah, me! A new machine sounds wonderful. I bought mine when I was working and had no sewing time. Now I have sewing time and am just learning the machine which they tell me is 'old." So what, I am too! But a laser light coming out of the needle? That's beyond awesome!!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:43 AM

Laser Light...Wow. Wow.

...hanging head in shame, digging toe into dirt...

I...
I...
I...um...bought...fabric
yesterday.

Went with a friend to Great Bend. Super Walmart. Even tho she TOLD me she was *shock* FABRIC shopping, I went.

Woe is me.

There were several bolts I would have purchased some of if the quality had been better, I just wasn't seeing it. $5.97 a yard... I can get NICE fabric at that price from fabric.com or CT. Even Wichita, Hancocks/ Hobby Lobby/ Joann's.

So, no.

But at the very last minute, my friend was at the cutting table, I spotted a white double fold, so probably around 108". With a pretty decent threads per inch (by visual) Could barely see my hand through it, which you pretty much can on plain white, even in LQS's.

I did not have ANY white. I know this. I have a baby shower coming up. Have planned a baby quilt with some Moda Max & Whiskers charms I've had maybe 4 years. I had shopped stash for complementary fabrics, and came up with a handful. I want to put a 9p or 4p with the charms, so wanted white to offset the dark colors I'd dug out to go with the charms. The charms are very hard to match to. The blue is chevy blue (late 60's/early 70's), not dusty blue, not medium blue, off toward both green and grey. The brown is mouse (real mouse-field mouse) brown, you know, slightly grey. The yellow is between school bus and dijon mustard. The rust is a true rust (if there is such a thing). Strange colors for children's fabric, but the animals are very cute.

I don't think I would use white as a back. Not sure why they made 108" white. I bought 2 yards, 6.97 yd. I'm set for white for a long while.

I also have charms/strips/FQ in CT's canning day line. (again, about 4 years) Think 30's style. So this white will be lovely with those, too.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like a plan, quiltmouse. No need to hang your head in shame. Although -walking through life with head hanging might keep me from seeing that fabric and reduce the pull. lol

I finished the baby quilt from the panel fabric I bought the other day and gave it to the Mom-to-be at her baby shower today. She loves it. Told me she was hoping to get a Martina-quilt. Looks like I have developed a reputation for good things for a change.
Attached Thumbnails melissa.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:17 PM

Q/M: You are clearly blameless, under our "rigid" rules anyone buying for a specific project has not sinned. Therefore Ms. Mouse you squeaked by, by a whisker. Martina: What a lovely, colorful quilt. I can see many hours spent with I Spy and the Alphabet. I know about your reputation for always being on the bottom of the pile of people having the most fun. Wait....is that the reputation you were talking about?
Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
I know about your reputation for always being on the bottom of the pile of people having the most fun. Wait....is that the reputation you were talking about?
Oh my - I see I've spent just a bit too much time here. You are getting to know me too well. lol

No, I was talking about the reputation for doing nice and fun quilts. wink,wink
Old 07-18-2014, 06:26 AM

Well, I was on a sabbatical from my moratorium in June. But, our LQS had a 25% 1-day sale last Saturday.....Sure found some nice fabrics I couldn't resist. I didn't even try to resist! So, if I just stay home in August, Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec, I might finish out the year without spending more. I'm beginning to realize how long a year is, though they go by so quickly! Having 'some' discipline is better than none. Making it 9 out of 12 months in non-spending is certainly not bad to aim for.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:36 AM

Mad Quilter: What a precious baby quilt. So vibrant! It will be treasured.

LOL, thanks, Emma!

laynak, crossing my fingers for you!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:03 AM

Yesterday DH took me to a couple quilt shops so I could get some backing fabric for a Turning 20 I made from FQ's purchased while on a trip to Alaska. I excused myself on getting fabric while on vacation, because I figured it would be a once in a lifetime trip. On the shopping trip yesterday I thought I was doing well with just the backing fabric, but then I purchased two Row by Row kits and DH put a kit on the counter for me and said "Happy Birthday". Guess all in all, I really didn't do very good yesterday.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:42 AM

Well, birthday gifts can't count. Surely, they can't!! And those trips to Alaska don't come by all that often. The Row by Row is doing me in...but I have until Labor Day in the 'back of beyond' to stay out of trouble! A year is a very long time...to not buy fabric. But I am thinking more about the purchases now, so that's a good thing.