Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2015 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

2015 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 05-18-2015, 05:00 PM

Love all the latest finishes. Log cabin quilts are so wonderful..still on my bucket list. I too am curious about the lit up red batik tree wall hanging. Are the snow flake things at the top real costume jewelry pins or do they just give that appearance and are fabric design? And I also would like to know how to get the lights in without causing too much of a hole in fabric where they are inserted. Love everyone's latest finishes. Oh..just as an aside. I said I was working on a selvedge jacket. It has now been put in the 'cut up for stuffing' pile. Evidently, there was too much stretch on one side when I was sewing the strips on and I could not get the second sleeve inserted in correctly. There was way too much fabric left over so after 3 attempts to 'fix it', I gave up. If and when there is a next time and there will be, I am going to take my time and measure everything and mark which side each sleeve goes on etc. I still really want to have one.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sherryquilts View Post
Oksewglad - I am not working with dairy records or feeding hungry farmers, which I am sure you are doing these spring days! But I am trying to get a bunch of finishes or at least ready to be finished before it is too nice to be inside sewing and where I need to be out tending to the garden/yard etc. We will also be down in C-town this week painting Mom and Dad's garage if the weather holds later this week. We already postponed for today and tomorrow - oh my, the wind! Oh and yes, the tree fits perfectly on a door, it is festively hanging on a closet door right now!!
Best of luck with the painting...M&D will appreciate it..looks like Friday and Saturday would be good days to work on it...The last cornfield to plant...a small one left when the last rains came..then I look out the dining room window and see the alfalfa blowing in the wind...haying season almost here..Grands get out of school Thursday...and poof the summers in full swing...GD#1 has a sewing project for Fair she wants guidance with...I could go on, but I won't bore with anymore details....
Old 05-19-2015, 10:37 AM

Love details...I'm sorry to hear the jacket project did not go well. I'm all of a sudden creating crows nests with my invisible thread. I decided to wait until tomorrow to try and fix it because I was getting upset with it after 4 tries.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
Love all the latest finishes. Log cabin quilts are so wonderful..still on my bucket list. I too am curious about the lit up red batik tree wall hanging. Are the snow flake things at the top real costume jewelry pins or do they just give that appearance and are fabric design? And I also would like to know how to get the lights in without causing too much of a hole in fabric where they are inserted. Love everyone's latest finishes. Oh..just as an aside. I said I was working on a selvedge jacket. It has now been put in the 'cut up for stuffing' pile. Evidently, there was too much stretch on one side when I was sewing the strips on and I could not get the second sleeve inserted in correctly. There was way too much fabric left over so after 3 attempts to 'fix it', I gave up. If and when there is a next time and there will be, I am going to take my time and measure everything and mark which side each sleeve goes on etc. I still really want to have one.
Time to answer questions - The snow flakes are printed on the fabric in metallic, the fabric is a Stonehenge I believe. To get the light in - I saw one on a display that had button holes for the openings, I did consider that, but the lights that I got from IKEA (a couple of years ago I had purchased 2 - 10 light battery operated strings for another project, that was never created) were SO tiny that I didn't know how I would keep them in the button holes. What I did was figure out where I wanted the lights and while quilting I made some small circles and then made a tiny slit within the circle, just big enough to fit the lights tips in. I also sewed around them on the back to help fasten them to the quilt and sewed a pocket at the bottom to hold the battery packs. Hopefully that will be enough!

So sorry that your jacket didn't work out! Was it a sweatshirt based jacket? I haven't done one of those yet - it's on the list...
Old 05-20-2015, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
Rainy day here in Phoenix, AZ. Snowing in Flagstaff...Great sewing day...I work on my UFO from a class in 2004. Finished sashing on 4 blocks. I noticed that in 2004 I was not as careful with my scant 1/4" seams. They seem to "average" a coup,e of eyelash's width give or take. Yikkies hope I can make adjustment so blocks will fit... all the blocks were finished and three rows joined. Three rows to finish and the borders. Glad I still like the pattern.

Judy in Phx, AZ

Love it, they look like waffle blocks!
Old 05-21-2015, 06:03 AM

I was making binding for the community quilt today. Who knew how easy it was to get the seams on opposite sides of a solid dark color.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by tkhooper View Post
I was making binding for the community quilt today. Who knew how easy it was to get the seams on opposite sides of a solid dark color.
Piece of cake! lol I usually do at least one seam opposing when I use solid colors....
Old 05-21-2015, 01:48 PM

I finished up 2 UFOs this week. Actually, I finished 7 others, but they were just 24" quilties for the local neonatal unit, so hardly count. These 2 are crib sized, and will be donated to Victoria's Quilts.

The first one with the owl was a set of fabric I picked up at guild last year. Finally got it quilted and bound. And the other is really old - from 2009 I think. This was based on a quilt design from a blog I follow (patchworktimes.com), made smaller and I think I tweaked the layout a bit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]520297[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]520299[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p5180316.jpg   p5210325.jpg  
Old 05-22-2015, 05:10 AM

Krista: Your work is always amazing but these two truly speak to me. Have some juvenile owl fabric that would lend itself to a border for something like your owl quilt. That geometric especially speaks to me, what a divine wall hanging that would make on a huge wall. Great work.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Krista what a unique sash design...takes the on point setting up a notch.