Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabbage Soup - No, WAIT! - Come back!

Cabbage Soup - No, WAIT! - Come back!

I've been dieting a bit lately, not really dieting, per se, but eating healthy for a change, and losing a little weight is just a fringe benefit. Today I surprised myself by really liking this soup, and my DH liked it, too. That's really saying something because I think he has about 10 times as many taste buds as I do. He will eat almost anything, but tends to be stingy with compliments. He not only praised this but he wanted a second helping.

All measurements are approximate. I just throw my soups together.

Quick Cabbage Tomato Soup

1 T. of olive oil. Can add a little butter if you want.

3 cups of shredded cabbage (I used a coleslaw blend from Sam's Club that has some red cabbage and carrots as well as green cabbage, and I just grabbed several handfuls and threw it in.)

2 cups of chicken broth (or beef would work if that's what you have on hand. I prefer vacuum packed broth with no MSG. You could also use bouillon cubes with water as directed, but they have a lot of sodium, I think. I poured in enough broth to cover the cabbage.)

1 can of diced tomatoes, not drained

2 T. powdered ranch dressing mix (optional - It adds a few calories and some sodium.)

In a 3 qt. pot, saute the cabbage in the oil over medium high heat for about 5 minutes.

Add the broth and tomatoes and heat to boiling. Stir in the ranch dressing mix if using. Ready.

I didn't expect to like it, but I wish I'd made twice as much. For a heartier soup, you could add some meatballs, but I didn't, and this was quite filling as is. I hope you enjoy it!
    We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.
    ~ Charles Kingsley

Power Poster
    I like soup, so it sounds good. I saw how people are using it to lose weight but having it everyday would be too much.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Italian sausage is excellent in it, too. It probably voids all the good for you stuff, though.

Blog Entries
    Sounds yummy to me! So many recipes are calling for dry ranch dressing mix--I wonder if anyone has a recipe to make your own and save a little money and some sodium???
    Sue

sounds good to me I love cabbage, for tomorrows diner making ham and string beans with cabbage and potatoes throw everything in my large crock pot and let cook..mmmm! now I can't wait thinking about it

Blog Entries
    ww has a good cabbage soup also, Chicken broth, carrots, green beans, cabbage, 2 T tomato puree, onions.. it is zero points. web site LaLoosh has a lot of ww recipes also

I like the WW one and will try this recipe. I think I saw a home made recipe for dry ranch dressing on Pinterest.

I just added chicken broth and cabbage to my grocery list! I'll give it a try.....than you!

This also sounds like the "Peel a Pound" soup that was all the rage in the 80s.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Blog Entries
    2 T. powdered ranch dressing mix (optional - It adds a few calories and some sodium.)

I wonder if there is something I can substitute for the Ranch dressing? I have a severe sensitivity to MSG, and Ranch is loaded with it...
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results are your fault. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast