Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Egg substitute

http://www.bobsredmill.com/vegetarian-egg-replacer.html

Has anyone used this product? My granddaughter is allergic to eggs. I wonder if this would be an egg substitute I could use for holiday baking.

Thanks

I am not familiar with it but I wonder if it is soy flour? In the Tightwad Gazette books she had a recipe to use soy flour and water as a egg replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by cheriami
    I am not familiar with it but I wonder if it is soy flour? In the Tightwad Gazette books she had a recipe to use soy flour and water as a egg replacement.
    Thanks. Soy is the primary ingredient.

Blog Entries
    I'll check with a friend who uses egg substitute to see if she has a favorite brand. I do know that she has success in baking when using egg substitute if the recipe calls for one or two eggs. She doesn't try recipes with more than two eggs since her experience over time has been disappointing.

Blog Entries
    I use Ener G Egg Replacer. I get it at the local grocery store in the baking section.

I don't k now but Bob's red mill has good stuff for allergy sufferers.

Recently I used ground flax seed and water for baking, or for binding foods together. I made black bean burgers and I found this solution.

1 Tablespoon Organic ground flax seed
    1 Tablespoon water
    Mix both in a small bowl and let stand to "gel" then add to what ever you are making.

We loved using this to bind the other ingredients together. Please let me know it this works for you.

Thanks. My daughter uses flax seed and water for french toast. But she's never tried it in baked goods. With the holidays quickly approaching, we'd like to find a way to make a few holiday treats. Have you baked cookies with it?

quote=alaskasunshine]Recently I used ground flax seed and water for baking, or for binding foods together. I made black bean burgers and I found this solution.

1 Tablespoon Organic ground flax seed
    1 Tablespoon water
    Mix both in a small bowl and let stand to "gel" then add to what ever you are making.

We loved using this to bind the other ingredients together. Please let me know it this works for you.[/quote]

I suspected that any substitute would work better in a recipe that didn't use many eggs. Thanks for checking for me. I don't want to buy a bag of this substitute (it is not cheap) if it doesn't work well. On-line reviews are all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by LKopinski
    I'll check with a friend who uses egg substitute to see if she has a favorite brand. I do know that she has success in baking when using egg substitute if the recipe calls for one or two eggs. She doesn't try recipes with more than two eggs since her experience over time has been disappointing.

I have used the flax seed replacement in all my baked goods and never had any problem with it. I wouldn't attempt to make an angel food cake with it or anything but for regular baking I see no difference. Here is the recipe I use:

Flax Gel Egg Replacement
    You'll need whole (not ground!) flax seeds, and some cheesecloth (a strainer won't work).
    Quick Method:
    Use 1 part seeds to 4 parts water. Simmer for 5-7 min. Proceed as described
    under "Straining". For 1 egg, use 4 tsp. seeds to 1/3 cup water.
    Efficient Method:
    Use 1 part seeds to 12 parts water, e.g. 4 tsp. seeds per cup of water.
    Soak from 1 hour to overnight, whatever is convenient for you.
    Simmer for 20 min, and be sure to let gel cool before straining.
    Straining
    Allowing the gel to cool with the seeds in it makes it thicker. When thick and cool, pour into a bowl lined with cheesecloth. Gently squeeze out the gel, until the cloth contains only seeds. Compost the seeds, and use the gel.
    To replace 1 egg, use a scant 1/4 cup gel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast