Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hummus recipes

I have been loving hummus lately...and decided to try making my own instead of buying it...it is easy to make...and quite healthy.
    Today I made avocado hummus...here is a link to the recipe:
    http://gimmesomeoven.com/guacamummus...vocado-hummus/
    I didn't find the tahini in my grocery store, and I didn't have any cilantro to add, but it is awesome anyway.
    I also have made a chocolate hummus and will add that recipe when I come across it again.
    Anyone else have some hummus recipes to add??

Blog Entries
    Patchsamkim, your recipe looks delicious and Iíve saved it to try.

The first Hummus recipe I made was Barefoot Contessaís. Iíve modified it to suit me. I use less garlic. Have also used a tablespoon or 2 of vinegar in place of the lemons and it tastes good this way. If I donít have tahini on hand I leave it out. Iíve made it with and without the hot sauce and like it both ways. Itís good in pita bread with diced tomatoes.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...ipe/index.html

For anyone who likes to use dried beans instead of canned beans hereís a link to making them in the crockpot.
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/sl...ked_beans.html

I've been on another planet for a while! What is hummus?

Okay, I make hummus, and I make it my way, the easy way, here is what I do Drain off the liquid from two cans of chickpeas, dump them in the food processor, take my EVOO 2 turns around the bowl, the juice of a lemon(about 2-3 tbsp) a little salt and pepper. Process it up, until smooth, then I add a little greek olives. Then I top it w/ chopped tomatoes, a chopped up seeded cucumber, green onions, and a little feta cheese. Maybe a few greek pepper rings. Serve with pita chips! I love it my go to lunch!

I love hummus but haven't gotten brave enough to make it myself. This sounds awesome as I love avacodo too.

I was reading some recipes for hummus on, I think, recipes.com and there were some there who used a little balsamic vinegar rather than tahini.

I live in a very small town and there is no tahini here so I may try the balsamic.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you. Love both dips so this combination should be awesome:)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I've been on another planet for a while! What is hummus?
    Hummus is made from Chick Peas, also called garbanzo beans but I've seen recipes using other beans. If you like chick peas you'll like it.

Blog Entries
    I make a chipotle hummus that everyone seems to love. I cheat by using the dried hummus mix in the bulk food aisle. The amounts are approximate - I change it a little every time I make it!
    1-1/2 cup dried hummus mix
    2 TBS olive oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
    2 cloves garlic
    1/2 - 1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp salt
    water
    Whirl everything (except water) in a blender or food processor, adding enough water to make desired consistency. I sometimes add a little sweet red pepper, too. Serve with veggies or tortilla chips.

Here is a recipe for spinach feta hummus...I haven't tried it yet but it sure sounds good and plan in trying it soon!

Spinach and Feta Hummus

30 ounces, weightGarbanzo Beans Drained
    1-Ĺ cupFresh Spinach
    8 ounces, weightFeta Cheese
    ⅓ cupsOlive Oil
    5 TablespoonsLemon Juice
    4 TablespoonsTahini
    2 TablespoonsRed Pepper Flakes
    2 clovesGarlic, Peeled
    2 teaspoonsSalt

Preparation Instructions

Combine the garbanzo beans, spinach, olive oil, lemon juice and tahini in a large food processor. Pulse until combined. Add the feta, red pepper flakes, garlic and salt. Pulse until combined. Taste and add salt or more red pepper flakes if desired.

And here is the chocolate hummus recipe...I made it a few weeks ago and took to work to share...was really good with graham crackers-both regular and cinnamon! Recipe was posted on the Pioneer Woman website.
    I don't have a food processor...did in my blender by first mixing the chickpeas with all liquid from recipe, and then adding rest of ingredients. It got pretty thick, so at end, I mixed ingredients by hand.

Chocolate Hummus

3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    Ĺ cups Dutch-processed Cocoa
    15 ounces, weight Chick Peas
    Ĺ cups Sugar
    1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
    Ĺ teaspoon Salt
    3 Tablespoons Warm Water

Preparation Instructions

Make a paste with the olive oil and cocoa.

To a food processor, add chick peas (drained), sugar, chocolate paste, vanilla and salt. Blend until smooth, adding 1 to 3 tablespoons of water, as necessary.

Serve on toast or with cinnamon sugar pita chips!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast