Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
just for fun >

just for fun

just for fun

Old 08-04-2016, 06:05 AM

Is there a recipe for the caramel sauce mentioned here? Do you add anything else to the condensed milk? Can you make it using condensed milk any way other than in a crockpot? I'm making a custard pie today and that sounds like a good toping for it.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
I use mine a lot for spaghetti sauce. I cook the sauce in the crockpot, then when its done I cook elbow macaroni or Ziti, drain and add it to the sauce and keep it on warm.
I used to make my sauce from scratch but now I start with a chunky, garden style. I brown ground chuck, onions and green peppers and add to the sauce, with just a scant drop of anise or a few anise seeds. Go easy on the anise but its sooo good in there! You should not use enough that you can tell its anise when its done, but it adds a flavor similar to adding extra bay leaves. I keep anise seeds on hand for Pizzelle cookies, so they are usually what I add. A co-worker told me of this 20 yrs. ago and my first thought was yuk! But I tried it and have used it ever since.
Sounds tasty to me.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:08 AM

Just Jan,

I have used Anise in cream of broccoli soup before and it adds something special to the flavor.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:13 AM

Jane Quilter, Very often, I will cook my bacon outside using my George Foreman Grill because of the strong odor. I love the smell of it while it cooks, but find that it lingers too long in the house afterward. If I deep fry anything, I prefer to do it outside. There have been times that I have used my steamer outside to make "boiled" eggs because of the strong odor.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

When I worked I used one to three crock pots a day several times a week. I put anything I could think of in a crock pot. As long as it was well seasoned with lots of flavor it was good. I rarely defrosted the meats. Put in in frozen with lots of seasoning and some broth, set it on high and left for work. Whole hams are great cooked in a crock pot.

I haven't fried bacon in decades. I put it in a hot oven until crispy. It fries in it's grease, no need to stand and tend it in a skillet. No splatters like skillet frying either.

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-04-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:59 PM

Is there a recipe for the caramel sauce mentioned here? Do you add anything else to the condensed milk? Can you make it using condensed milk any way other than in a crockpot? I'm making a custard pie today and that sounds like a good toping for it.
No can you believe it? Just take your can of condensed SWEETENED milk, transfer to glass canning jar, put your sealing lid on. Into a water bath in the crockpot. Cooked on low overnight. That's it. It is DELICIOUS!

Just re read your message. I believe the normal method is putting in a pot of water, and simmering for at least two hours. I have not used that method. Look for condensed sweetened milk recipes. You'll find it but it is still pretty basic.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
When I worked I used one to three crock pots a day several times a week. I put anything I could think of in a crock pot. As long as it was well seasoned with lots of flavor it was good. I rarely defrosted the meats. Put in in frozen with lots of seasoning and some broth, set it on high and left for work. Whole hams are great cooked in a crock pot.

I haven't fried bacon in decades. I put it in a hot oven until crispy. It fries in it's grease, no need to stand and tend it in a skillet. No splatters like skillet frying either.
We have owned this crockpot for years with minimal usage. I am kind of loving it right now.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
No can you believe it? Just take your can of condensed SWEETENED milk, transfer to glass canning jar, put your sealing lid on. Into a water bath in the crockpot. Cooked on low overnight. That's it. It is DELICIOUS!

Just re read your message. I believe the normal method is putting in a pot of water, and simmering for at least two hours. I have not used that method. Look for condensed sweetened milk recipes. You'll find it but it is still pretty basic.
I looked for recipes on the internet and it says 3 hours on top of the stove. You have to keep watching the water level and turning the can every half hour. That seemed like a lot of work and wasted energy so I decided to try the crock pot method. Several methods I saw said to just remove the label and leave it in the can then do it like you said in the crock pot. I have three sizes of crock pots, and had spaghetti sauce cooking in the medium size one so decided to try the caramel in the small one. My canning jar was too big for it to have enough water coverage, so I left it in the can. It should be done in another hour and 20 minutes. They did warn to not use the pull tab type cans, and it said to transfer it to a jar to refrigerate any leftovers. I can hardly wait for it to get done...got some butter pecan ice cream waiting! LOL OK, a bit off topic but... speaking of butter pecan or vanilla ice cream... Cut a cantaloupe in half, remove pulp and seeds and fill with ice cream. Yum!!!!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

I made the caramel in the can lots of time. Now I buy it in the can ready made. Taste the same.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:41 PM

I looked for recipes on the internet and it says 3 hours on top of the stove. You have to keep watching the water level and turning the can every half hour. That seemed like a lot of work and wasted energy so I decided to try the crock pot method. Several methods I saw said to just remove the label and leave it in the can then do it like you said in the crock pot. I have three sizes of crock pots, and had spaghetti sauce cooking in the medium size one so decided to try the caramel in the small one. My canning jar was too big for it to have enough water coverage, so I left it in the can. It should be done in another hour and 20 minutes. They did warn to not use the pull tab type cans, and it said to transfer it to a jar to refrigerate any leftovers. I can hardly wait for it to get done...got some butter pecan ice cream waiting! LOL OK, a bit off topic but... speaking of butter pecan or vanilla ice cream... Cut a cantaloupe in half, remove pulp and seeds and fill with ice cream. Yum!!!!
Let us know how it turns out. Mine turned out the color of caramel and thick, just for reference. I think it will be great as a caramel dip for apple slices.