Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Naturally Fizzy Fermented Sodas >

Naturally Fizzy Fermented Sodas

Naturally Fizzy Fermented Sodas

Old 05-14-2019, 05:36 AM

Default Naturally Fizzy Fermented Sodas

Does anyone else out there make fermented sodas and Kombuchas? If so, what types of flavorings do you use? I've been making Kombucha for years. I like it with, or without extra flavorings. My favorite extra thing to put in it is strawberries. I've got a Ginger Bug starting now to make Blackberry soda. I want to make my own Root Beer next.

~ C
Old 05-16-2019, 08:08 AM

[QUOTE=tropit;8253032]Does anyone else out there make fermented sodas and Kombuchas? If so, what types of flavorings do you use? I've been making Kombucha for years. I like it with, or without extra flavorings. My favorite extra thing to put in it is strawberries. I've got a Ginger Bug starting now to make Blackberry soda. I want to make my own Root Beer next.

I ferment ginger ale, way better than the store-bought sugar water. I make my own yogurt and use the whey to jump start the fermenting. I'd like to ferment grape juice, but I'll have to play around with the amount of whey needed to overcome the preservatives in the juice. I suppose I could just crush several pounds of grapes but I really don't want to deal with making and cleaning that much mess.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:54 AM

We used to make our own root beer, I think it was Hires that had an extract and instructions just for that. It wasn't like the canned version.

I forget exactly what happened (it was back in the 70s) but we did have a batch we forgot about or something and it exploded pretty spectacularly... fortunately they were stored down in the laundry room and it was relatively easy to clean up.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
We used to make our own root beer, I think it was Hires that had an extract and instructions just for that. It wasn't like the canned version.

I forget exactly what happened (it was back in the 70s) but we did have a batch we forgot about or something and it exploded pretty spectacularly... fortunately they were stored down in the laundry room and it was relatively easy to clean up.
My parents used to make us homemade root beer. Usually for special occasions since we rarely allowed to drink sodas.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:16 AM

[QUOTE=Jmduderstadt;8253909]
Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Does anyone else out there make fermented sodas and Kombuchas? If so, what types of flavorings do you use? I've been making Kombucha for years. I like it with, or without extra flavorings. My favorite extra thing to put in it is strawberries. I've got a Ginger Bug starting now to make Blackberry soda. I want to make my own Root Beer next.

I ferment ginger ale, way better than the store-bought sugar water. I make my own yogurt and use the whey to jump start the fermenting. I'd like to ferment grape juice, but I'll have to play around with the amount of whey needed to overcome the preservatives in the juice. I suppose I could just crush several pounds of grapes but I really don't want to deal with making and cleaning that much mess.
Yogurt whey...good idea. I suppose that you could use a nut-based yogurt too for that. All that being said, I usually don't have a lot of trouble picking up the wild yeasts when making fermented things. I think that it might have to do with the climate where I live now. I used to live in a very arid place and it was hit and miss when it came to fermenting things, but now, with this Northwest climate, no problem.

~ C
Old 05-19-2019, 05:27 AM

I started a Ginger Bug a few days ago and it's really bubbling up now. For those of you that don't know, a Ginger Bug is a fermented starter that is great to use for natural sodas, ginger ale and root beers. It's super easy to make. Just grate about 2 tablespoons of whole, fresh, ginger root with the skin still on, put it in a jar and stir in about 2-3 teaspoons of white sugar and add about 1/4 cup of water. Cover the jar with a cloth and let sit. Stir, or shake it every day. A couple of days later, add more ginger, sugar and water and stir. Repeat this process until your Ginger Bug has filled the jar and is fizzy and bubbly. It's now ready to use in your favorite soda recipe. (Here's a similar recipe and description: https://nourishedkitchen.com/ginger-bug/) You can keep it going in the fridge and make sodas whenever you want. Natural sodas are much healthier than store-bought ones and you can get really creative with the flavors.

~ C
Old 05-20-2019, 11:28 PM

Thanks tropit. I have some ginger and want to try this. Can you use it for citrus seltzer water?
Old 05-21-2019, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Darcyshannon View Post
Thanks tropit. I have some ginger and want to try this. Can you use it for citrus seltzer water?
Gosh...I don't know. I don't see why not.

~ C
Old 05-23-2019, 10:01 AM

Tropit, I have some Kombucha sitting on my counter right now. I put my scobys in their "hotel" over the winter when we were not here and they did just great. I have made lavender, and ginger flavored. Thank you for the information on the Ginger Bug. I had not heard of it and have everything to start one now. Sandra
Old 05-23-2019, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

I use to make root beer. It was delicious. I haven't found the bottled extract in the store for years now. I guess I can order it online now.