Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Pickled Eggs >

Pickled Eggs

Pickled Eggs

Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaPofWyoming
I use Mrs. Wages Kosher Dill Pickle Mix. I add the eggs to the jar, add hot peppers (either fresh or dried) and pour the hot liquid over the eggs. Add the jar lid and heat in a hot water bath so that they will seal. My husband eats the hot eggs. I make some that are not hot and add them to salads, potato salads or make egg salad. They get a bit rubbery compaired to fresh boiled eggs but taste really good. If your eggs seal and they are below the liquid you can store them on your pantry shelf until you are ready to open them.
Thanks for sharing. Hot peppers would be good if it isn't too, too hot. Although DH would like the hot peppers hot.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:39 PM

The easiest way to make pickled eggs is to make pickled beets, then just dump the pickled beets over the hard boiled eggs. I make lots of pickled beets, just so I can have pickled eggs anytime I want! I have almost a dozen in the frig right now!! Yum!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by vivoaks
The easiest way to make pickled eggs is to make pickled beets, then just dump the pickled beets over the hard boiled eggs. I make lots of pickled beets, just so I can have pickled eggs anytime I want! I have almost a dozen in the frig right now!! Yum!
Sounds yummy!! Care to share the recipe you use for pickled beets? My DH loves beats.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltin chris
I love pickled eggs. When I was a kid we would eat them by crockful( Mom had to make enough for 7 people).

We grew our own beets and pickled was the only way we ever ate them.

I make pickled eggs now for my own family. We absolutely love them.
I use the recipe for pickled beets in the Ball Blue Canning Book. Then hard boil the eggs and put them in with a quart of pickled beets and the beautiful red juice. Leave them sit for a couple days and they are ready to eat. Yum!!!
Chris
I do pickled eggs this way! Love them and the beets also.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:16 PM

The recipe I use was my grandmothers and I beleive it was her mothers, my great grandmother (she was Amish).

PICKLED BEETS AND EGGS

1 dozen hardboiled eggs
1 16 oz can beets, sliced or chunked
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. ground cloves

Peel eggs and put into a container that can be sealed, I use a Tupperware bowl. My grandmother used a widemouth glass jar. Drain beet juice into a saucepan, add the vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring to disolve the sugar, remove from heat and add the spices. Mix well.

Pour the canned beets over the eggs and the the hot juice over the beets and eggs, refrigerate for 2-3 days.
These are wonderful, I make them about once a month. The eggs really absorb the sweet/sour taste because the juice is hot. It's like putting mayonaise on hot potatoes when making salad. The flavors are much deeper. And the red beets have a marvelous flavor too.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:43 PM

Needles, thank you for sharing your family recipe!! Looks absolutely delicious! I will give this a try too.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:30 AM

Love them both, pickle eggs all the time.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:57 AM

You're welcome, Scrap Happy. If people aren't into eggs or if you need a vegetable recipe for the hot summer ahead, you can just pickle the beets. Do a few cans, they keep for sometime in the fridge and they are also great, chopped, for on salads. These have a taste of Harvard Beets but not the thick sauce.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Needles
You're welcome, Scrap Happy. If people aren't into eggs or if you need a vegetable recipe for the hot summer ahead, you can just pickle the beets. Do a few cans, they keep for sometime in the fridge and they are also great, chopped, for on salads. These have a taste of Harvard Beets but not the thick sauce.
Yumm! Silly question, the eggs turn purple right? Them with the beets on a salad or even on a plate alone would be so pretty.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:47 AM

The eggs turn more of a very deep rose color, not as dark as beets. I always serve them on a plate with beets in the center.