Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Rhubarb Custard Dessert

OH MY GOSH.....this cake is so good!!!! I've never made anything with rhubarb before. During our garage sales run yesterday, one place had a tub of fresh from the garden rhubarb and the stalks were huge. The price was 15 cents each or 2 for 25 cents and I bought 6 stalks. It only took 2 stalks to make 4 cups chopped. I used half and half in place of whipping cream and got a thin custard layer. The kitchen smelled wonderful as the cake baked. I let the cake cool for 20 minutes and couldn't resist trying a spoonful..and another....and another. Hubby wandered by and did the same thing. This recipe is a keeper.

Sure sounds yummy & I imagine it would be just as good using an actual cake recipe rather than the mix. I can't imagine the puny little stalks of rhubarb on my new plant would yield 4 cups, but it's tempting.

Oh my gosh this sounds good and I have a rhubarb plant just waiting to be picked!

An update- I made it and its awesome and soooo easy!!! Thanks for letting us in on it!

Blog Entries
    Bet that would be good with strawberries added to it. Hmm! Making me think about a strawberry rhubarb pie and big ole scoop of vanilla bean icecream. Oh Lord help me!

Blog Entries
    Tried your recipe today and we both agreed. A keeper for sure. Surprise company loved it too.

tried this twice over the weekend, once with lemon cake and once with strawberry (with 1/2 the cream), it was delicious both ways , back out here today to copy the recipe in to an email for our librarian.

Blog Entries
    Flax seed can be used as an egg replacement - try that.
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion View Post
    Well there would be eggs in the cake mix. But you could scrape that off and just eat the rhubarb custard on the bottom.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Thanks Murphy1! I have used flax meal for cookies and muffins. I wasn't sure what it would do in a custard. I'll give it a shot though, what the heck. It can't be weirder than the Yorkshire pudding. Yeah, that doesn't work without eggs, at all.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3