Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Sour milk >

Sour milk

Sour milk

Old 12-20-2015, 05:24 PM

If milk goes "blinky" in the carton, I throw it out. I don't even cook with it.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
Only raw milk sours. Pasterized milk rots! Throw it out.
Rots! Ugh that sounds even worse than sour! Did not know that...thanks
Old 12-21-2015, 10:58 AM

As I live alone, buying milk was almost a waste for me. What I do now when I buy milk whether its a quart or gallon, I'll put 2 cups into a freezer container in as many containers I have available and put them into the freezer for cooking at a later date. I have an Impossible pie I make up quite often and it takes 2 cups so its already measured out for me. I don't know how well it works for regular drinking once its been frozen but for baking/cookings its great.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:00 AM

Also, I find the more butter fat in the milk the faster it goes sour on you so I usually buy 1% or 2% but never whole milk. Plus if you keep it at the back of the fridge it will help it last longer too. I had a gallon of milk, never opened till the last week and it lasted a month in my fridge. I was amazed at that.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Milk that sours in the fridge does't have bad bacteria. Don't use chunky sour milk. I use it for cooking and baking. Never leave milk out of the fridge and drink it after 2 hours, 4 hours is the max for use in baking. To make sour milk for subbing for buttermilk is easy. Add one ounce of white vinegar to 7 oz of milk. Put in microwave for about 30 seconds.

Whole Organic milk has a very long expiration date, It saves money by not going bad if you don't drink a lot. I buy Horizon Organic DHA- Omega 3. It's the milk my grands drink so I keep that in the fridge for baking and drinking.

Last edited by Onebyone; 12-22-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:42 PM

Thanks Mikes girl I didn't know that.......actually I have wondered about this topic. Milk goes bad quickly here too.....thanks Snooze too good idea..........
Old 12-22-2015, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by joivey View Post
Is there any safe and good way to use milk that is beginning to sour? Or should I just throw it out?
Jo Ann
It makes wonderful pancakes and yeast bread,banana bread.

Sharon
Old 12-22-2015, 08:48 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
If in doubt, throw it out. I don't save sour milk. Worked with a gal one time who said her mother would purposely buy a gallon of milk and let it go sour for a week on their counter outside the fridge. I couldn't imagine and still can't but they had it on toast with sugar. That was decades ago. My husband goes through a gallon a week just by himself. Helps to keep him going a couple extra hours past lunch if need be.
I'll bet she was thinking of the cream from the top of non-homogenized whole milk. My grandmom did this too, leaving it on the top of the old porch refrigerator - the old ones with the round generators on top - for a couple of days. Most states don't allow the sale of this kind of milk any more, but if you have access to a clean dairy where you can buy a quart occasionally, the soured cream this makes is divine for Chopped Sour Cream Potatoes. Our current commercial sour cream just does NOT work well - the flavor is very different.

Bama's Chopped Sour Cream Potatoes
4 large potatoes baked, chopped into ½” dice
1& ½ pints of sour cream stirred til ‘soupy’
A small bit of milk/cream if needed for above
Minced onion
Salt and pepper

Stir minced onion into sour cream.
Put potatoes into buttered baking dish and cover with sour cream.
Season generously with salt and pepper.
Try topping with a bit of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes until browned and bubbly.

Jan in VA
Old 12-22-2015, 09:41 PM

Sour milk can be used for many things. And it is even good for you. It has "flora" that is good for your gut. Many recipes use sour milk. And whole milk soured is the best.

I am now making kefir. That is actually fermented milk. You leave it on the counter for two to three days until the kefir grains have done their job. If you leave it out longer (up to five days), it just gets stronger tasting. If you don't like that sour taste, strain the grains out and put it into the refrigerator. Add fresh milk to the grains, and you have a new batch of kefir in another two or three days.
Kefir is delicious with sweetened fruit or granola. I drink mine without sweetener, but many people like a little sweetener in it.

And leaving milk set out will not make it bad. It just sours it and then you can use it for many things.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:39 PM

Any milk that goes funky goes into my bougainvillea plant. It loves it and will flower and flower. I believe its the calcium in the milk. Of course this is only during the warm months.