Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • tying quilts >
  • tying quilts

• tying quilts

Old 09-22-2011, 11:50 AM

My husband's grandmother tied all the quilts she made..she said that was the way her mother and grandmother taught her...it's apart of the history...can't wait to see yours...
    Old 09-22-2011, 12:03 PM
    Power Poster

you have to do what works best for you there is nothing wrong with tying quilts i have seen beautiful tied quilts
    Old 09-22-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Macie
    Would love to have more info on tying. Are there any instructions I could follow.
    Macie, if you use the search function at the top of this board, and type in tying quilts several topics come up, with lots of good info. Also, try googling "tying quilts" There is lots of info out there, and some video's as well. Good luck in your search.
    Old 09-22-2011, 12:38 PM

I'm very glad my Mom tied a quilt. Several years ago she gave me an old blanket that she had covered with a sheet and tied it together. Last month it started to rip so I took off the sheet expecting to see an old blanket that she covered. Instead I found an old quilt that was hand sewn. It was a scrap quilt in 3 inch squares. Unfortunately most of the fabric is torn and worn out and I don't think it can be replaced. I saved the quilt and the back of the sheet for support. (Still tied) If she hadn't tied it, I probably would have tossed it in the trash not knowing the treasure underneath. Don't know who made the quilt, Mom and her sister don't remember it.
    Old 09-22-2011, 12:40 PM

Well I am so glad to see so many of us DO tie quilts. I tie most of mine. I did machine quilt a baby quilt, but I used the decorative stitches on my machine. I have arthritis in my hands and can't hand quilt and would not attempt to put a big quilt through my machine...so ties work just great. I haven't seen many posted that aren't machine quilted so come on ladies post those beautiful hand tied quilts !!
    Old 09-22-2011, 12:46 PM

This is how I use the machine to "tie". Set the machine on a zig zag stitch, set the stitch width you want, lower feed dogs and stitch back and forth a few times. It's called bar tacking.
    Old 09-22-2011, 01:09 PM

What does "machine tack" mean?

Originally Posted by Lori S
    Tied Quilts are fine... I have been known to machine tack many a quilt ... I like machine tacking better than tieing.
    Old 09-22-2011, 01:35 PM
    Power Poster

I use wool to tie. It shrinks up nice and stays knotted. It is what I grew up with. I never heard of quilting before I was in college. All I had ever seen is tied with wool batting in between. We had gravity coal furnace in Wisconsin. We needed the thick warm comforters. I had a crazy quilt I just loved. I don't remember if it was tied or what. I just remember looking at all the pieces - I never got tired of looking at it. My sister doesn't remember it.
    Old 09-22-2011, 02:03 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with tied quilts. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
    Old 09-22-2011, 02:06 PM

I love tied quilts. I machine quilt on my domestic sewing machine...mostly straight-line stitching but that can make some interesting patterns. I've machine tacked a couple also. I use either a 1/4 inch or so of satin stitch. Or one of the decorative stitches on my machine that have areas of solid stitching. I'm working on a scrappy for my own bed (queen size) and plan to tie it.