Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you buy fabric "just because" >

Do you buy fabric "just because"

Do you buy fabric "just because"

Old 09-30-2012, 10:29 AM

You better believe it, I have several fat quarter packs just waiting for a project....
Old 09-30-2012, 10:59 AM

Of course, because my hoard consists of "finds" from many different sources--up cycling, dirt malls, garage sales, etc. Get 'em while you can.

(Fabrics don't "whisper" to me but sometimes they rub against me and purr."

Last edited by Greenheron; 09-30-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:20 AM

yes, I do. All the time. If it's there and I like it, it's mine !
Old 09-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Yes Although my deals today were for a project, I got extra I hadn't planned on because of a major price break I was picking up a few batiks to finish out a swap I'm doing, and Hancock's had forgotten to take down their 50% off signs from the sale last week (when I had no money) so they had to give it to me at the 'posted price' And some of it was on clearance on top of that! I got a BEAUTIFUL pink batik for $1.70 a yard so I took the rest of the bolt lol don't have a plan for it but at that price you can't pass it up!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:46 PM

I do all the time. I have coupons at Joann's but it is for a regular priced item....50% off. So I always look at what I want and if that is on sale... I'll get it but then look for other fabric I can use and get it for 50% off. I also buy tools etc with these coupons,..like that spray adhesive and templates

But last week and this past week..they had a 20% off TOTAL purchase which included all sale items too so I got the Keepsake Calico that was already 30% off and then with my coupon.. it was actually 50% off! I'll also use the coupon for batting and stock up on that when it is not on sale and I have a 50% off coupon. Threads too. I just yesterday bought a yard of Duck Canvas/cloth to change the cover on my board pressing board (not ironing board) and it was $10.99 a yard. With my 50% off it was $5.50 and then 20% off made it around $4.50 a yard. I was only going to get 1/2 yard, but forgot that when I had it cut and got a full yard! But I am sure I'll find a use for it..if not just save it until I want to replace the cloth again on the board! I also buy 1 yd with the 50% off...just cause I like it. Nice to have on hand and they sell a bundle of 5 Fat Quarters...all coordinating colors and they are $10 so with my 50% off they are $5 and then yesteday another 20% off that! I buy on sale so I have it when I need it and can't afford it!
Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 PM

I have started a mystery block at our lqs where we do a block a month and now I can use all that fabric I bought just because I liked it! I have charm packs and fat quarters everywhere in my sewing room.

Last edited by quilting in my60s; 09-30-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: left out something
Old 09-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Oh, I buy fabric all the time just because I like it. I will have to add that my stash is over the top. I could start my own quilt shop. I used to work in a quilt shop and would often buy the last 1 or 2 yards left on a bolt because I couldn't stand to not see it any more.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:36 PM

I buy fabric when it on sale even thought i will never use it
Old 09-30-2012, 05:17 PM

We all(well most of us) have done this. I see nothing wrong with this. My kids do, but I don't. Sometimes the fabric just speaks to me. Buy me, Buy me.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:00 PM

ummm yes entirely too much if you look at my stash lol or listen to my hubby. although im having to scale back these days due to the economy. im sooo happy i have a stash to go to and am looking forward to doing some scrappy quilts too although i have lots of things on my to do list that i have fabric for i need to use more of what i have rather than buy fresh each time. although i do see some thread purchases in my future to keep up with all that fabric.
carla m