Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
had to buy a new iron >

had to buy a new iron

had to buy a new iron

Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 PM

I bought a Rowenta several years ago because I got tried of my old iron sputtering. A few months ago I bought a Shark at a garage sale for $5.00 and used it in my sewing room. I loved it, it heats up fast but I kept knocking it off the ironing board (at least a dozen or more times) and it finally gave up on my so I am back to the Rowenta which I like OK. I am going to buy anothert iron for my sewing room and I think I am going to get another Shark.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:24 PM

I'm thinking of getting a new iron also. I hate the Shark X-tended steam burst iron I have. The "chrome" (silver painted plastic) came off within weeks, it leaks and the blast of steam button gets stuck down all the time and I have to use pliers to pull it up !!! The iron I had before I had for 15-20 years. I would like to find one of the classic black irons... AN OLD ONE. I think the local thrift shop is where I'll be going.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
My 22 year old black and decker lightweight died in the middle of starching half square triangles. Researched the Rowentas. Saw where the lower end ones are made in china and several buyers complained about rust stains when the device had sat for a while. Looked at the higher end, on sale for less than $100, but it has auto shut off after only 8 minutes! Not practical for piecing! So I went to JoAnn's to see what they had. I bought home an Oliso. It's made in the USA, and it shuts off after 30 minutes. Did I do OK? Have you had good/bad experiences with this iron? I haven't filled it yet, so let me know if I need to take it back. Thanks for your input. Also, hug a veteran tomorrow.
Oh, I would LOVE to have an Oliso! It's definitely on my wish list! Yes, Fons & Porter do use this iron. I saw this iron demo'd at our State Fair, and fell in love with it! I've researched it on the Net several times for best price and wattage but since my iron is still working, I'll have to wait for a awhile to purchase one unless I get a super deal. From the demo I saw, you have made a wise purchase. (I wish JoAnn's here carried them!) :thumbup:
Old 11-12-2010, 06:23 AM

agree....mine leaks real bad so I don't use water in it anymore ...use a spray bottle.......when it dies...no more.......
Old 11-12-2010, 06:24 AM

sorry...I didn't put the name of the iron...Rowentas....
Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 AM

I have a Rowenta that works wonderfully but it is over 20 years old and was top of the line at the time. Sounds like they have really cheapened their product. Also have a European Steam Generator set up with my German ironing board. It takes a lot of room but is top line. Then I keep the little sealing iron by my machine for pressing seams
Old 11-12-2010, 07:57 AM

Thought I would mention a solution to irons with the auto shut offs. I purchased a DRY iron (small travel type) from ebay a few years back. It was a vintage iron, and pre auto shut off types. I use a small spray bottle to mist fabric, and the iron doesn't cut off between presses. I use it mostly for crafts, quilting and my other good iron for clothers. Just a thought.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 PM

My old BD up and died one day. OLD
I dug out my MIL General Electric. Looked like she never used it. She didn't like to iron. It too is old and still going strong. Had one before it that was a $20 something from WM. I hated it. After ten minutes it was out of steam.Don't know what I will get when this one quits
Old 11-12-2010, 07:13 PM

I have a shark and I love it, got it at walmart for less then $50. would love to know if anyone has the one that has feet on it so you don't have to stand it on the end. looks like one I would love to have.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:50 PM

My husband recently bought me the Oliso 1800 watt. I absolutely love it. I'm sure you'll be pleased with yours.

FREE Quilting Newsletter