Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
had to buy a new iron >

had to buy a new iron

had to buy a new iron

Old 11-10-2010, 03:28 PM

My 22 year old black and decker lightweight died in the middle of starching half square triangles. Researched the Rowentas. Saw where the lower end ones are made in china and several buyers complained about rust stains when the device had sat for a while. Looked at the higher end, on sale for less than $100, but it has auto shut off after only 8 minutes! Not practical for piecing! So I went to JoAnn's to see what they had. I bought home an Oliso. It's made in the USA, and it shuts off after 30 minutes. Did I do OK? Have you had good/bad experiences with this iron? I haven't filled it yet, so let me know if I need to take it back. Thanks for your input. Also, hug a veteran tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:52 PM

What is the wattage of the iron? I have a Shark that is 1800 watts. It does have an auto shut off but it heats up so fast and is really hot. I found it at Target. I'd have to google for a current price. But I know it was less then $100.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:01 PM

not heard of that brand of iron...I have a shark iron that i bought for $60.....probably the 1800 watt kind...don't remember. So many irons have the auto shut off feature and i didn't want it...but like MzMcKee said - it does reheat quickly - all i do is move the iron around.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM

This will get you --- my GF had an iron that had the teflon coming off....she definately needed a new one and has it in her mind that she needs a Rowenta. DH told her to buy it until he heard the price. They were out to buy groceries when she saw Goodwill. Said to DH "let's stop in". He said there's NOTHING there that I'd want. Yip - you guessed it -- she found the Rowenta that she'd been drooling over ----for $5.99!!!!!!!!! Some people just have all the luck!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

Is that the one they use on Fons and Porter?
Old 11-10-2010, 04:27 PM
BMP

Stay away from the Rowentas I had 2 in less than 2 years. The first one leaked and the 2nd which is about 7 months just quit. I love how they work when they do work but after throwing away $200 in 2 years on irons I bought a B&D at Walmart that is doing the job.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by MzMcKee
What is the wattage of the iron? I have a Shark that is 1800 watts. It does have an auto shut off but it heats up so fast and is really hot. I found it at Target. I'd have to google for a current price. But I know it was less then $100.
This one is 1600 watts. It does heat really quick. One thing I liked about it is, after it goes to sleep after 30 minutes, you just touch the handle to reactivate. Also, you don't leave it upright, it has little gadgets that hold it up from the surface, less chance of knocking it over.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
Is that the one they use on Fons and Porter?
Don't know. Fons & Porter seems to be a little out of my league.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:32 PM

That's the way my Sunbeam works. Got it at JoAnn's for $29.99.

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
Originally Posted by MzMcKee
This one is 1600 watts. It does heat really quick. One thing I liked about it is, after it goes to sleep after 30 minutes, you just touch the handle to reactivate. Also, you don't leave it upright, it has little gadgets that hold it up from the surface, less chance of knocking it over.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:43 PM

G'ma Kay, If you PM me and give me your mailing addy, I can send you my small Rowenta. It's a traveling iron that I tried to sell here, but unfortunelty I still have it. It works, but I don't need 2 irons. I can only iron with one hand at a time :lol: so if you would like it, it's yours!

FREE Quilting Newsletter