Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
had to buy a new iron >

had to buy a new iron

had to buy a new iron

Old 11-10-2010, 06:11 PM

Well, I had a Rowenta (I loved it), after a while it melted the threads on my piecing, seams came apart then it died :(--I had an Oliso (I loved it), it died, I followed what others on this board did and bought irons with the highest wattage from Walmart I could find three different times--not hot enough:(. Sunday I bought another Rowenta (Rowenta Pressure Iron and Steamer). It's an expensive iron but got it for 25% off plus an additional 10% off my total order. I LOVE it! It gets really hot I don't have to keep refilling the iron, it's nice and heavy and never shuts off until I'm ready to turn it off (I hate the reheating process). I guess I'm not only a vintage sewing machine collector, I'm an iron collector. One thing for sure, if this one dies, I have plenty of backups :thumbup:

btw: The directions say that if your iron leaks try using cheap spring water you can buy from the supermarket.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by RkayD
I've had Sharks & Rowenta's ~ all of them leak...I like a heavier iron and just haven't been able to find the right "fit" for me. I keep forgetting to go check the thrift stores. =)
I've had my shark for about 4 years now. I've used tap water and bottled water and I have not had any problem with leaks. And again, I love that it gets so hot and is so quick to re-heat when I need it.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:35 PM

I have an Olisio and like it so far. It's been almost a year. Took a few tries to get used to the legs popping up, but it's fun too. I'd buy another.

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
My 22 year old black and decker lightweight died in the middle of starching half square triangles. Researched the Rowentas. Saw where the lower end ones are made in china and several buyers complained about rust stains when the device had sat for a while. Looked at the higher end, on sale for less than $100, but it has auto shut off after only 8 minutes! Not practical for piecing! So I went to JoAnn's to see what they had. I bought home an Oliso. It's made in the USA, and it shuts off after 30 minutes. Did I do OK? Have you had good/bad experiences with this iron? I haven't filled it yet, so let me know if I need to take it back. Thanks for your input. Also, hug a veteran tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:52 PM

Good timing for this topic-I spent an hour on-line researching the Oliso iron (Joann's has them on sale 25% off (on-line) and I think it is what I want. I just hope it re-heats quickly after shut off! I wish it had OPTIONAL 30 min shut off for quilters!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:30 PM

I have had my Rowenta for at least 15 years, and I love it!! LOVE it! And it has auto shut off, thank goodness it does cause I sure would forget to shut it off, do not mind at all that it shuts off, just move it to get it to heat up again... also have had my little Sunbeam for several years, and it still works great,and the teflon bottom is still in great shape, no problems.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:38 PM

Sorry but you won't see me laying out the bucks for a "name" on an iron.
Every class I've gone to has had one there, and as luck would have it - that would be the one that leaked, or shut off when it saw me coming near it.
I have my WM cheapie. And it works wonders.
I even dropped it last week - the first time that happened !!
Dang dog.
It chipped the plastic point off the front.
Now it works even better to open up those seams!!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by RkayD
I've had Sharks & Rowenta's ~ all of them leak...I like a heavier iron and just haven't been able to find the right "fit" for me. I keep forgetting to go check the thrift stores. =)
I have an old one in the basement. It has one of those speckled 'cloth' covered cords, it is so old. Bought it at a thrift store.
Only problem is it might leak some wax. I've been using it to wax my skis. But I don't ski anymore so it's up for grabs! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

I use a "Classic" by Black & Decker, and I love it! Best $30.00 I spent on any iron!! And I've used it for years
Old 11-10-2010, 10:16 PM

I just have a cheap B&D from Wal-Mart and haven't had any problems with it. I can use the extra money on fabric instead of having it tied up in an iron.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Power Poster

I like cheap irons. Not joking!! I had a Rowenta and it wasn't worth the money at all. I love my cheapo B & D :)

FREE Quilting Newsletter