Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
had to buy a new iron >

had to buy a new iron

had to buy a new iron

Old 11-11-2010, 05:20 PM

I have had tow Oliso irons in the past couple of years and the first one I returned and now the second one doesn't work at all. Of course, it's out of warrantee. I kept my old Sunbeam and that is what I am using again.

quilter 70
Old 11-11-2010, 05:47 PM

I'm on my second Rowenta and I definitely WILL NOT buy another one. Actually this is my 3rd one. The 2nd one leaked from the first time so I returned it and they sent me another but it is worthless and leaks like crazy.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 PM

I'm still using the General Electric iron I got for a wedding present in 1971. I'll have a problem adjusting when I have to get a new one. - Cynthia
Old 11-11-2010, 05:54 PM

Got fed-up with my B&D. The steam holes on the plate would snag the fabric, causing it to bunch and pull. Didn't cause any damage, but was a darn inconvenience. Got a factory reconditioned Rowenta from Big Lots for ~$19. What a dream . . . the way it glides over the fabric. I've kept the sole plate of the B&D clean, so never dreamed that there could be such a difference in an iron. I'm getting use to shaking the iron just before I'm ready to use it to awaken it, and it does heat quickly. If it lasts for a few months, it'll be worth my investment. I'm keeping the B&D for use with fusibles.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by olebat
Got fed-up with my B&D. The steam holes on the plate would snag the fabric, causing it to bunch and pull. Didn't cause any damage, but was a darn inconvenience. Got a factory reconditioned Rowenta from Big Lots for ~$19. What a dream . . . the way it glides over the fabric. I've kept the sole plate of the B&D clean, so never dreamed that there could be such a difference in an iron. I'm getting use to shaking the iron just before I'm ready to use it to awaken it, and it does heat quickly. If it lasts for a few months, it'll be worth my investment. I'm keeping the B&D for use with fusibles.
I had the same problem with my B&D so I ordered a teflon sole plate cover you tie on...guess what? The holes are in the same place as on the iron. I had to adjust it and tie it around the cord and it worked really well untill the pointy part of the cover wore out and the string got burned and it ripped. It is now in the trash and I have used it exactly 3 months. I paid Keepsake Quilting 15.99 for it so I will not be buying another one. I bougt a cheapie at Wally World and it is doing the job just fine!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:06 PM

My Rowenta Irons always got leaks after few months or a year. Now I have an 1800 watt Pro Rowenta for past two years and yes it leaks.

The people at the Sewing show in Reno last June at the Oliso booth said theirs is designed not to leak unless we are at fault about the way we use it.

Anyone having good luck with the yellow Oliso Iron? I am looking to get a new one and I sew, quilt, embroider and need a good one! Thanks Much - Crafty Kathy
Old 11-11-2010, 06:08 PM

If finance has anything to do with it, the Oliso costs about $250 over here, but is considerably cheaper than the $2,500 ironing systems that are available...I won all of mine (4) in raffles and they are all about the $80 mark at retail.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

I have a Roenta but I hear Black and Decker is really good. That will one day be my next choice.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Well, I had a Rowenta (I loved it), after a while it melted the threads on my piecing, seams came apart then it died :(--I had an Oliso (I loved it), it died, I followed what others on this board did and bought irons with the highest wattage from Walmart I could find three different times--not hot enough:(. Sunday I bought another Rowenta (Rowenta Pressure Iron and Steamer). It's an expensive iron but got it for 25% off plus an additional 10% off my total order. I LOVE it! It gets really hot I don't have to keep refilling the iron, it's nice and heavy and never shuts off until I'm ready to turn it off (I hate the reheating process). I guess I'm not only a vintage sewing machine collector, I'm an iron collector. One thing for sure, if this one dies, I have plenty of backups :thumbup:

btw: The directions say that if your iron leaks try using cheap spring water you can buy from the supermarket.
Thank you for sharing your experience with me.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
have not filled it yet?
oh must be early...i assume you are planning to put water in it...good luck . have nothing to offer concerning that iron...i prefer the $12 irons that stay hot. and i never ever put water in an iron...i had 3 (over $100) irons that the kids put water in...all 3 were finished after less than 6 months and all of them leaked, spit, splattered within weeks.
i keep a water bottle on my ironing board and spritz my fabric when i need some steam. my current $12 iron is 3 1/2 years old and working great.
good luck with your new iron. you didnt' tell us how expensive it was so no idea if you got a good deal or not. i hope no one gets burned when you (water-it)
It was around $89 at JoAnn's and another 10% off for the veterans day sale.

FREE Quilting Newsletter