Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
had to buy a new iron >

had to buy a new iron

had to buy a new iron

Old 11-11-2010, 10:33 AM

I have a Rowenta and have been happy with everything about it EXCEPT that the switch for steam keeps flipping off. I have had other friends that also have this complaint. As usual duck tape to the rescue! I tape it open so that it will steam.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by G'ma Kay
My 22 year old black and decker lightweight died in the middle of starching half square triangles. Researched the Rowentas. Saw where the lower end ones are made in china and several buyers complained about rust stains when the device had sat for a while. Looked at the higher end, on sale for less than $100, but it has auto shut off after only 8 minutes! Not practical for piecing! So I went to JoAnn's to see what they had. I bought home an Oliso. It's made in the USA, and it shuts off after 30 minutes. Did I do OK? Have you had good/bad experiences with this iron? I haven't filled it yet, so let me know if I need to take it back. Thanks for your input. Also, hug a veteran tomorrow.

I have an Oliso Pro (yellow color) and I absolutely love it. Had another one before that but it was the first mode they made and cut off too soon for slow poke me.

MLT
Old 11-11-2010, 10:35 AM

I have had two Rownetas but I am back to buying and iron that is on sale. The Rowenta didn't last any longer than any other iron and it always dripped. I now use DRY IRON FOR QUILTING AND ILOVE IT.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
Originally Posted by misseva
i also bought a $100 Rowenta and it leaked so ended up buying a cheap one from walmart. BUT then i bought a Rowenta that has a separate tank where you put the water and you press a button for steam. had it for approx 8 yrs. the base doesn't sit on the ironing board - sometimes it's tricky to get it to sit up b/c of the steam cord but overall i'm pleased with it. it was expensive - $350 but at least it doesn't spit
I also have the stream generated iron. I am like you, a little hard to get to stand up but, I don't have to wait for it to reheat. They really have a great steam output. The only thing about them is they take a little longer to heat up when you first plug it in. But boy do we have a water storage on them.
yep, but if you turn it on before you get in shower it's ready to go when you get ready to iron - which is what i do EVERY day. i almost never iron all my clothes at one time anymore - wonder why?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
This will get you --- my GF had an iron that had the teflon coming off....she definately needed a new one and has it in her mind that she needs a Rowenta. DH told her to buy it until he heard the price. They were out to buy groceries when she saw Goodwill. Said to DH "let's stop in". He said there's NOTHING there that I'd want. Yip - you guessed it -- she found the Rowenta that she'd been drooling over ----for $5.99!!!!!!!!! Some people just have all the luck!
I picked up my Rowenta at the second hand store too! 4.95; I love that thing! My sweet husband always pulls into the thrift store if I ask; he knows I'm Cheap cheap. Same with the pawn shop... I picked up a $700 Carbondale bike for 35.00. Fell in love with a diamond enternity ring there... he surprised me with it for a wedding ring, he paid half what retail is... funny thing, he never went into a pawn shop before he met me; he was amazed they had so much stuff! Now if only I could get him to dumpster dive with me! LOL
Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
i also bought a $100 Rowenta and it leaked so ended up buying a cheap one from walmart. BUT then i bought a Rowenta that has a separate tank where you put the water and you press a button for steam. had it for approx 8 yrs. the base doesn't sit on the ironing board - sometimes it's tricky to get it to sit up b/c of the steam cord but overall i'm pleased with it. it was expensive - $350 but at least it doesn't spit
I also have the stream generated iron. I am like you, a little hard to get to stand up but, I don't have to wait for it to reheat. They really have a great steam output. The only thing about them is they take a little longer to heat up when you first plug it in. But boy do we have a water storage on them.
yep, but if you turn it on before you get in shower it's ready to go when you get ready to iron - which is what i do EVERY day. i almost never iron all my clothes at one time anymore - wonder why?
I am suppose to remember two things at once?? LOL
Old 11-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

The new Reliable iron is guaranteed not to spit or leak. It has a separate water chamber inside the iron. It has the option of turning off the auto shut off.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:39 AM

I am searching for a new iron as well. My B&D classic that I bought in 84 just died Sunday. It made a strange pop and hiss and started smelling like burned wiring. Unplugged it and threw it out. Been searching around for a replacement. Would like to find another cheap B&D like I had but can not find one yet. Maybe I will try the local mom and pop hardware store this evening.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:51 AM

I have a Shark 1700 and it has an automatic shut off but it heats quickly and it has been dropped many times and still does its job.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Last time I checked, Walgreens had a B&D. Can't tell you how much it was but I know they are really reasonable.

FREE Quilting Newsletter