Boom 28 Holly

Old 03-06-2023, 06:13 PM

While putting together some BOOM blocks had to stop and repair because the seams were coming apart. Tempted to just throw it in the trash. BUT……

I’ve enjoyed the BOOM because of the people. And I want to remember and keep doing projects with all of you. So I repaired the block.

Tonight at Bible Study I’m reminded to always do my best. Sometimes I want to be sloppy, but then remember for whom I’m sewing. I want to do my best for all of you and for my Boss in Heaven.

If what you present is your best, then unstable seams are OK, I’ll fix them.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Pet, good reminder to sew good seams, with good seam allowances and stitch lengths. We want our quilts to last a long time! One way to get good results is to start sewing earlier in the Boom time period (2 mos or 3 mos). When we wait until the last minute to get blocks done, we are forced to rush.

Some tips: When cutting pieces for blocks, be sure the edge line of the pattern, template or ruler is up on the fabric, and not beyond it. When sewing pieces together, measure where a scant 1/4" would line up on your machine bed, and mark it with tape or a magnetic seam guide. Some of us are lucky enough to have scant quarter inch feet for our machines. Then pay attention to where you are lining up your fabric edge to sew, for the entire length of the seam.

Press seams as you construct the block, and check for size against your 12.5" square ruler. A 12.5" square is a must for making correct 12.5" blocks. If you don't have one, buy one. JoAnn's has quilting tools on sale quite often.

Last of all... take your time, sew in good light, and be careful. Everyone invests a lot of money and time in this swap, and deserves to get your very best effort. No one wants to have to throw out any of the blocks they received.

Just a reminder as we gear up for our next Spring Boom, Boom 29.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

MJP, we will miss you in the next Boom, but understand the need to get caught up once in a while. Or enjoy other interests! Have fun sewing clothes and please do lurk and chat with us.

So sorry about your shoulder. I have the same issue. Can't do a lot of the stuff at the gym that I used to do! Rotators take a long time to heal... hoping yours heals fast and well!
Old 03-07-2023, 10:01 AM

MJPEncinitas, I was in the same boat and needed rotator cuff surgery. I did it between Booms as I recall and did all the PT that was required. It was worth it. Also, I may be sitting this Boom out as well. I, too, have lots of unfinished projects and I need to stop taking priority away from them and get them quilted. I’m going through yardage now and trying to find backings or make pieced ones so I can finally get them quilted. Only two will go to the LA, the rest I’ve promised myself to do on my machine, inexpertly though they may be.
Old 03-07-2023, 04:03 PM

Another note on seam size.
Each machine is different. One of mine has the needle set to the right of center. So if I think it’s 1/4 inch, it’s less then and that seam may not hold up. I think I need to put a note on it to remind me before I start stitching.

If the seams are too large, the finished product will be too small. I noticed this on 1 block in particular. It had been given a spacer to make it 12.5” square.

This is the method that taught me what my seams were doing:
Cut 3 pieces of fabric 1.5 x 3.5 inches. Sew together on the long side. Press seam to one side. Now measure. Should be 3.5” square. Take apart and restitch using a larger or small seam allowance until the finished square is 3.5”.
There are methods to mark the machine bed to ensure the seam allowance is the right size.

Some things that will affect the size is
1. Seam is not 1/4 inch
2. A heavy weight thread will require space in the fold of the seam pressed to one side. The square will be less than 3.5”. I use 50 weight or 60 weight. The old Coats and Clark threads are 40 weight. When I use them, the seam allowance needs to be less than 1/4 inch (ie. scant 1/4 inch seam).
3. Some zig zag stitches are very wavy and take up more space that a straight stitch only machine. Again a scant 1/4” is necessary.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:11 AM

I use Auril thread when piecing, it is bit spendy but lightweight and strong.

Someday I will sit down and assemble all my boom blocks into quilts but for now I enjoy the booms to much to miss one. My sister is always after me to bring some of my UFO’s to Texas, which I did. But I found this small group of ladies who meet once a week and we work on smaller projects that we can start and finish in a short time. Oops there went those UFO’s

Yesterday my dd came out of the bathroom crying, scaring the bejeebers out f me. Thankfully they were tears of joy, she saw the outline of her hand. PTL
Old 03-08-2023, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Great news, Terri! I know you are relieved.

Just as long as you keep Boom-ing with us, I guess I don't care what you do with your blocks.... Glad you are finding some quilting friends in Texas. Very important!

I had my second cataract surgery this week and am so glad to be done and healing. My vision has improved already.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:09 PM

Grateful prayers for all of you BOOMers and our various issues. Keep on moving forward! Keep sharing advice and inspiration! Keep on loving! and don't forget to drink water!
Old 03-09-2023, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Grateful prayers for all of you BOOMers and our various issues. Keep on moving forward! Keep sharing advice and inspiration! Keep on loving! and don't forget to drink water!
I asked for it….. The quilt police….. And, I”m pretty careful. Today my work was slipping. And she tore it apart. Good experience to remind me to never ask her for advice again. And that I need to be careful with my words.

“Drink water.” As far as advice goes, that’s pretty safe. Had a good laugh.

Last edited by petthefabric; 03-09-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Not sure I understand your message, Pet. Did a friend criticize your sewing? Sorry that happened to you.