Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room) >
  • Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)

• Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)

Old 07-31-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
    Originally Posted by fish92241
    How hard is it to cut the sign material? Couldn't you use poster board instead if you have nothing to cut the sign material? Loved your tutorial and envy your organized stash!
    You can ask the sign people to cut it for you for a fee. I am not sure if you can use posterboard for this. This sign material is sturdy and wonderful to use. My husband used his table saw to cut mine. I paid $17.00 per 4x8 sheet.
    I hope you are able to do this it is very neat. But it is REALLY TIME CONSUMING!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
    My sister owns a sign shop and does these for me. She has a special tool that cuts her boards. She does do them vertically, but I find that paper-clips work really well in the flutes of the board and I have not had a problem with the boards folding on me. If you cannot find a local sign shop that will do these for you, or if you don't have access to the cutting equipment, check out http://www.quiltfabricorganizers.com - You will also see some great pictures of what else you can do with the coroplast.
    Old 07-31-2010, 06:03 PM

Wow, I loved your idea. My daughter works for a sign shop so I can get this stuff free. I am sending her your tutorial so she can see what I am talking about and she can get all my boards cut for me. Now, what I want to know what is the cabintet or storage unit you are using?? Was that made my someone? I am revamping my sewing room so will be showing my carpenter your storage to see if he can build me something like that. How do you store your fat quarters? Do you have pic of that storage or do you also put them on the boards?

thank you for such great pics.

Nettie
    Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 AM

Wow, Love this, you are so organized and you can see all of your fabric this way. I am going to work on mine now. Thanks so much. :thumbup:
    Old 08-02-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nettie
    Wow, I loved your idea. My daughter works for a sign shop so I can get this stuff free. I am sending her your tutorial so she can see what I am talking about and she can get all my boards cut for me. Now, what I want to know what is the cabintet or storage unit you are using?? Was that made my someone? I am revamping my sewing room so will be showing my carpenter your storage to see if he can build me something like that. How do you store your fat quarters? Do you have pic of that storage or do you also put them on the boards?

thank you for such great pics.

Nettie

Good for you that your daughter can get you free material for wrapping your fabrics!!! The shelving my fabric is on that you see in the pix was made and set inside the guest room down stairs in the closet. My DH pulled it all out and put it in my "quilting room" upstairs. He bolted it to the wall because we have lots of earthquakes here. :? I have another shelf that is NOT organized yet and I have a huge entertainment center holding large bolts and all of my Featherweights. Also holds my small supply of batiks. If you look at the end of the tute you will see the fat 1/4 folding and storage too.
    :-D
    Old 08-02-2010, 02:02 PM

I would like to see your ironing board too... are you going to give us a quick tute on that? Sure would enjoy that when you find the time.
    Thanks
    Old 08-02-2010, 02:22 PM

I am so impressed and depressed -- I wouldn't even let you in my sewing room:)
    Old 08-02-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
    I would like to see your ironing board too... are you going to give us a quick tute on that? Sure would enjoy that when you find the time.
    Thanks
    Another member gave a tute on "big ironing board " covers. check it out. Very simple & very basic.
    Old 08-02-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by GeriP
    I am so impressed and depressed -- I wouldn't even let you in my sewing room:)
    No, No I am the last to judge your room :? My room is still not finished. I am dealing with Pneumonia right now. Not much energy here. Wanna come help me finish :roll: ?
    Old 08-03-2010, 07:52 AM

Thank you for this great idea and tutorial, I actually just wrapped one on a styrofoam board that I cut and it worked great, I'm on to the next one:)

Geri
    Old 08-05-2010, 03:18 AM

Thanks so mych for all that information, but I do have a question though. What kind of boards did you use, foam core? I 'm a new bee and I have ALOT of fabric, I would like to organize instead of being in totes! I want to see what I love, FABRIC! :thumbup: