Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)

I love my fabric I have on the boards. I was surprised how 8 yds easily fit on one board and takes up such a small space. Thank you so much AlaskaSunshine for posting your tutorial!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sassy lady
    check clotilide they had some things you fold material on it might work for you I used cardboard boxes cut them to the right size they worked good for me
    if your cardboard is not acid free, it is going to do two things, one it will attract bugs and two it will leach acids into your fabrics!

Alaskasunshine thank you for getting me going on organizing my quilt room.. It had been such fun. I did not use boards, however this is what worked for me. 1/2 yard and larger cut were folding like you did not the board, however I used my 6 x 24 cutting ruler and then folded the folded tube in half. I now can find fabric easily and have been having quicker results in matching. My solid and seasonal fabrci are folded the same and put on end in my storage drawers for easy access. thank you so much. I will try to attach photo again.

Photo I hope

We purchased the cube bookcase at Ikea
    Name:  Attachment-165002.jpe
Views: 814
Size:  64.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by judy363905
    Alaskasunshine thank you for getting me going on organizing my quilt room.. It had been such fun. I did not use boards, however this is what worked for me. 1/2 yard and larger cut were folding like you did not the board, however I used my 6 x 24 cutting ruler and then folded the folded tube in half. I now can find fabric easily and have been having quicker results in matching. My solid and seasonal fabrci are folded the same and put on end in my storage drawers for easy access. thank you so much. I will try to attach photo again.
    Your fabric looks so pretty! Don't you love knowing what you have?! Those cubes sure are cute too! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
    Your fabric looks so pretty! Don't you love knowing what you have?! Those cubes sure are cute too! :thumbup:
    It sure makes me want to be around all the fabric more... Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
    It sure makes me want to be around all the fabric more... Thank you again.
    Happy you found my tute helpful, have a wonderful day!

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    WOW - now that is organized!!! I really love this idea, and I love that now you don't have to iron out fold lines everytime you go to use a bit of fabric in your stash. NICE! :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I would need to invest about $500 in coroplast to make my stash do this...and then I would need more shelves too!

my stash has tripled since this pix was taken I have more than 500 batiks alone!
    Name:  Attachment-166575.jpe
Views: 682
Size:  61.1 KB

wow would love to visit you and play all day with your stash, what a dream room.

This is wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to share.

I'm very impressed!!!!! You have put in a lot of time, I can tell, but it will sure pay off when you pick your fabrics. I, too, have an HH (Handy Hubby)! Aren't they wonderful:D

Quote Originally Posted by Anne P
    I'm very impressed!!!!! You have put in a lot of time, I can tell, but it will sure pay off when you pick your fabrics. I, too, have an HH (Handy Hubby)! Aren't they wonderful:D
    You are so right, I did put in a lot of time and it has paid off many times over! It is a visual pleasure and I am able to quickly pick out any fabric for audition instead of rummaging through bins and boxes like I used to. That was a nightmare and so time consuming! I adore my HH too, yup they are wonderful! :-D

if your cardboard is not acid free, it is going to do two things, one it will attract bugs and two it will leach acids into your fabrics![/quote]

Thank you for this information.

Banned
    Just thought I would share this with any of you looking to buy a LOT of Coroplast and don't have a local source -- when looking around online, I try to price everything by how much a 7"x12" board will cost, based on the number of pieces per sheet x the number of sheets plus shipping. (I find that cutting by 12" is easier for me both cutting and math-wise, and 7" just always seems to fit well with what I want to do)

The shipping is always the thing that seems to add a ton to the price, often doubling the price or more. In general, at most of the places I looked online the price per board comes out to between $0.40 - $0.80 once shipping was added in.

The best prices for a 4' x 8' sheet mentioned so far have been between $10 - $17 -- which if you figure can fit about 54 of my 12"x7" boards on that, you're looking at around $0.19 - $0.31 per board -- but that's only if you can pick it up locally (and have a way to cut boards that big!!). Paying for shipping on boards that size is going to significantly increase your price.

Conversely, I have found smaller sheets (18"x24" ) selling for as little as a dollar apiece online -- but then shipping kills you, by adding about 60% on top of your price. So that dollar per sheet is probably fine if you're just buying a few boards, but if you're going to buy a lot, it's cost prohibitive.

The best price I've found so far per board has been here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Coroplast-Co...item414acd3a61

At 100 24" x 18" sheets, figuring you can fit 4 boards of 12"x7" on it, you're looking at 400 boards total. $125 / 400 = $0.31 per board. You also are left with a 4" strip that could be cut into 4 6" x 4" boards for fat quarters per sheet.

Hope this is of some help to people who are looking to buy a lot of coroplast -- when you're shopping around, I encourage to figure out the price per board, AND consider the shipping, to figure out the best deal. And if anyone finds a better source than the above, please share!

Wow that is great ! I'm going to do this too ! I hope !! Your stash is so great to look at and find what you need !! thank you

Per Rivka... Great information however many members inquired as to where we got our boards. My Dh cut them on his table saw. When you do that you lose 1/8" due to the blade thickness. So unless you plan on cutting your coroplast with a razor blade you will not get 4- 12" pieces. The cost of my husband doing the labor was very minimal and we wanted to make this service available for those that had no other way of getting them.

Have a fun evening! & happy folding! :D

Banned
    alaskasunshine, not everyone has a husband with a table saw :) I'm cutting mine with a utility knife, and a couple of older rulers -- so no loss due to blade thickness. I just cut about 30 sheets (120 boards total) in an hour and a half, while watching some TV.

Not trying to say that people shouldn't use your service (and for those that want to avoid sitting here and cutting out boards, they definitely should consider using your service!!), but for those that want to do it themselves, and do it in an affordable fashion, I'm just sharing the information I have.

The local sign shop wants $25 for a 4 x 25 sheet. Is that a good price? I would have to cut it...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltjoey
    The local sign shop wants $25 for a 4 x 25 sheet. Is that a good price? I would have to cut it...
    Is that a 4 foot by 25 foot (that seems awfully long!) or 4 foot by 25 inches?

I guess for that price, it's got to be 4' x 25'. Wow, I didn't realize coroplast came in sheets that big. How will you get it home?

Quote Originally Posted by rivka
    Is that a 4 foot by 25 foot (that seems awfully long!) or 4 foot by 25 inches?

I guess for that price, it's got to be 4' x 25'. Wow, I didn't realize coroplast came in sheets that big. How will you get it home?

I think it is 4' x 25'. They sell the house for sale size but I don' remember what it was. I have have to bring it home in the pickup truck.

Banned
    Then yes, that's an excellent price. Here's the math:

4' (48" ) x 25' (300" ) = 14400 sq. inches

Using a 7 x 12 board as your base board size = 84 sq inches

14400 / 84 = 171 total boards in a sheet (very rough estimate; you'll likely have somewhat less depending on how you cut them -- as alaskasunshine pointed out, if you use a tablesaw you will lose some width due to the blade. If you choose to go wider than 7" then that will also affect the number of total boards as well)

$25 / 171 = $0.15 per board.

That's the cheapest yet -- and shows how if you can buy locally, and have the resources to cut sheets of that size, then you can definitely do this very inexpensively!

Sorry if all this talk of price per board is boring to anyone :) I'm a programmer, so I just have to break everything down as logically and mathematically as possible ;)

Home depot on line has coroplastic for 10 4x8' sheets for like a hundred and ten dollars or so. I didn't find out the shipping though. However i am goind to see how much to special order the sheets to be delivered to their store. So, I can pick it up there.

Yes your price is wonderful! If you ask a sales person to sub cut it once to make it easier to transport that should work out great!
    Have fun and enjoy the process. It is so exciting to see what you come up with and when you quilt and need a specific fabric it is so much quicker to go righ to your shelf and audition you choices.
    Happy folding!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rivka
    alaskasunshine, not everyone has a husband with a table saw :) I'm cutting mine with a utility knife, and a couple of older rulers -- so no loss due to blade thickness. I just cut about 30 sheets (120 boards total) in an hour and a half, while watching some TV.

Not trying to say that people shouldn't use your service (and for those that want to avoid sitting here and cutting out boards, they definitely should consider using your service!!), but for those that want to do it themselves, and do it in an affordable fashion, I'm just sharing the information I have.

Thanks so much for all your interest in this thread and for helping with the math
    :shock: Have you used the coroplast for your fabric organizing? We'd love to see pix of your labor.
    Have fun and happy folding! :D

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast