Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)

Thanks for sharing this info. Now, I need to get organized. :thumbup:

Thanks for the great tut. You can come to San Diego and help organize my room.!

I have tried to attach an excel spreadsheet that shows my caluculations to cut the 4'x8' sheet for the fabric folding boards and also a 18"x24" sheet for the smaller fabric folding boards. I found a sign store that will sell me the big sheet for $12.00 and you can see on the spreadsheet how many I will get from the sheets. I made the big sheets a 1/2 inch larger, it would have been waste and it gives me more space to put the label that I will put on the board at the top of boards how much fabric is on the board. I can't wait to pick them up on Monday and get started. Hope the attachment works, if not, email me and I can email the file to you. Again, thanks alaskasunshine for this tutorial. Sally

Excel Spreadsheet Cutting Fabric Boards

I did the same thing. I went to the Dollar Tree and purchased foam boards for, yes, .99 cents. I cut them up and placed my fabrics as you demonstrated. It took me a month and just loaded them onto my shelves. I used rubber bands to secure the fabric. My problem is that I don't have them organized by color yet like you have yours. That's another project I need to do when I get a chance. Thanks for posting pictures, your sewing room looks awesome!

I was in a "do it yourself type" store and bought some extra-large cardboard boxes. I didn't need all of them after all so I cut up the extra ones and used them. Worked great.

Blog Entries
    Dear Alaskasunshine, You have brougth sunshine to my mind. I am soooo thrilled to be making progress at organizing my stash - thanks to you. Just the folding process is worth its' weight in gold! It will take me a loooooong time but I like the progress I have made already. Thank you, Thank you, thank you!

Blog Entries
    Dear Alaskasunshine, You have brougth sunshine to my mind. I am soooo thrilled to be making progress at organizing my stash - thanks to you. Just the folding process is worth its' weight in gold! It will take me a loooooong time but I like the progress I have made already. Thank you, Thank you, thank you!

Has anyone mentioned plastic canvas sheets yet?
    I uncovered some this afternoon buried in all my stuff that I had bought who-knows-when and they were already the right size. They work great too.

Quote Originally Posted by MS quilter
    Awe, MS quilter you make me blush. Please post px so we can see how you're doing. What are you using to fold your fabrics on? Did you find the corrigated plastic stuff?
    Thanks so much for your kind words. :thumbup: ;) :-D

I've got all my supplies so now I am starting to organize!
    Thanks for your inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
    This is my last 2 pix. This is my ceiling under construction as DH puts in 9 recessed cans to brighten my room. Woo Hoo!! This will be wonderful. If you all want to see my big board (for on top of my ironing board) he built please let me know that too!
    Thanks for all the encouragement to get this posted, I hope this is helpful and if you need any more help I am just a plane away. I am just itching to be somewhere warm. :lol:
    Warmly,
    alaskasunshine :-D :-D :-D
    Thanks so much for the tute. Your room looks wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by susiequilt
    I've got all my supplies so now I am starting to organize!
    Thanks for your inspiration.
    This is so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Me...an inspiration for organizing :shock: :lol:

I hope you have fun and please take pictures along the way for all of us to be inspired and also so we can oooh & ahhh with you!

Happy folding :D :thumbup: ;)

Blog Entries
    Thank you, so much :D I do not have a lot of fabric however if I start doing this now I will be head of the game. I love the way to put the colors together. There are so many ideals that you shared. I am book marking it to show my handyman ;-) I love,~~~ love this board and the people on it :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Alaskasunshine :lol: I made my husband look at how you oranized your quilt room. He asked me is that All I have to do the get you organized:oops: I told him it's a start :lol: I was very careful not to make any promises. ;) He had some in his work shop and his is making some right now :!: woo~hoo You have made my day :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oh my Goodness, we could be best friends ! You are as OC as I am !!! But much better at it !! I sooooo love the organization skills . Girl you have got it going on ! Of course I will start I measure all my pieces and tag & I'm even talking scraps !! I just love this ! Tahnks Judy

Banned
    so this is just cardboard?? Can I use priority boxes from the PO?? Cut then up and store?? My fabric is a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
    so this is just cardboard?? Can I use priority boxes from the PO?? Cut then up and store?? My fabric is a disaster.
    NO! I used COROPLAST...it is like plastic cardboard. I got mine from a sign shop. You can call a local sign shop in your area to check on pricing and whether or not they would cut them into the sizes you need. Please see the beginning of this post, allow all pictures to come up before you read it.
    I hope this helps.

Banned
    that may be costly - i have alot of fabric as do you. is there a cheaper alternative?

that may be costly - i have alot of fabric as do you. is there a cheaper alternative?
    You'll need to research that. Several other members are using other methods as shared here on the board :-D

Have fun!

That is incrediably awesome! Thanks for a great tutorial!!!

Banned
    Would It be safe to use cut Up Priority boxes (mail) for my stash?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2sew2
    I did the same thing. I went to the Dollar Tree and purchased foam boards for, yes, .99 cents. I cut them up and placed my fabrics as you demonstrated. It took me a month and just loaded them onto my shelves. I used rubber bands to secure the fabric. My problem is that I don't have them organized by color yet like you have yours. That's another project I need to do when I get a chance. Thanks for posting pictures, your sewing room looks awesome!
    do you have pics?? what kind of foam boards? i need to go to the dollar tree.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2sew2
    do you have pics?? what kind of foam boards? i need to go to the dollar tree.
    Does this help?http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43871-1.htm

Blog Entries
    awesome, thanks for sharing!

I have begun putting my fabric on the boards. I got my corregated plastic sheets from a sign maker for $12.00 for a 4'x8' sheet. He didn't keep them in stock but he ordered them and had them the next day for me. I bought 6 sheets to begin. As Alaskasunshine told me, I did have to adjust my size of height of board to fit the shelves of my bookcase. I am using the large coated paperclips at top and bottom to hold.

I purchased the comic boards from a site on the internet. I called and talked to them first and they knew just what I was talking about as they had had previous calls. I bought the ones 6 1/2 x 10 inches and cut them in half so they are 6 1/2 x 5 inches. The sheets are thin but work fine with the fat quarters and pieces of fabric 1 yd or less. I am measuring my pieces, marking it on color coded labels I got at Walmarts, they are neon colors, using orange for FQ, hot pink for 1 yd or less, green for holidays and special, yellow marked pastel, and others marked dark (these will be for my prints). I plan to use white labels for the plain colors and have them in a different section. I color coded them because I thought they would be easier to refile, especially if someone else in my family refiles them for me. I also decided any fabric less than 1/2 yard will go into scraps to cut into strips, etc.

My granddaughter (10) has been helping me wrap the small ones and she is also placing on the small coated paperclips at the top and bottom to hold the fabric and them she places them on the shelf. She was really interested to help me so I figured why not, I can always readjust them, but she has done a great job. Great bonding time for us and we talk about our next quilting project for her. She is going to try making a crazy quilt as you go so she can use all of the different stitches on her machine. School will be out soon and she will be able to pick out her fabric better once we get it organized on the shelves.

For now I am just placing them on the shelves as I do them in no order except the smaller ones on their own shelf. I will organize the types when I am done. I also plan to make a section for fabric I have bought to go together for use in a quilt.

The more I work, the more excited I get, 1st seeing fabric that I forgot I had bought, 2nd realizing this is a better way to organize and match fabrics for projects, 3rd I don't have to dig thru those plastic containers anymore, even though I had them separated by color and type. When I finally complete the job, I will post pictures of my shelves. It will take me a while because of other things I have to do at home, classes, and projects. I love spring, but it is a lot of work preparing the outside for summer and this year is worse for us, we have to replace the liner in the pool and since we are doing that, we decided to paint the deck which is really two large decks joined together (one goes around the pool with seating and lounge at one end, and a slide at the other (for the grandkids). Not to mention all of my flower planting, I love seeing flowers all around the decks. Must be connected to my love of material (the many colors and prints). Sally

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast