Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 569

Thread: Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)

  1. #101

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2
    What is " sign material"? please? I love the explanation and especially the pics but I just came into the conversation. Is it poster board?

  2. #102

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2
    Oops...should have read further. I am wondering if this is available way down here in Virginia. I have never seen it.

  3. #103
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    43
    I'm just setting up my new sewing room in our basement and your ideas for orginizing the fabrics will work just WONDERFUL! Thanks much for sharing and a great tut!

  4. #104
    Senior Member kapatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    820
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
    1. Size of boards
    2. laying fabric
    3. folding fabric
    Thank you for this idea and for taking the time to do the tutorial. I've started refolding my material on the two different boards. For now, the folded material is going back into the small tubs that I use for my material. Later on, I'll be able to get the shelving. I found that the small boards fit great in my small tubs, so I'll still be able to organize them by color. (I love the way you've organized your material.

    As I look around locally for what was available to use for the boards, I decided to try "foam board". I was able to pick up a sheet (30x40x3/16) at "Staples" for around $7.00. It is a little bit thick, but I actually like it that way.

    I just read the post with the link for ordering the sign material on the internet. I think that would be a cheaper way to go then with the foam material...but I think I'll stick with the foam board since I like the thickness.

    Thanks again for sharing.

  5. #105
    Super Member alaskasunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    la la land
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by kapatt
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
    1. Size of boards
    2. laying fabric
    3. folding fabric
    Thank you for this idea and for taking the time to do the tutorial. I've started refolding my material on the two different boards. For now, the folded material is going back into the small tubs that I use for my material. Later on, I'll be able to get the shelving. I found that the small boards fit great in my small tubs, so I'll still be able to organize them by color. (I love the way you've organized your material.

    As I look around locally for what was available to use for the boards, I decided to try "foam board". I was able to pick up a sheet (30x40x3/16) at "Staples" for around $7.00. It is a little bit thick, but I actually like it that way.

    I just read the post with the link for ordering the sign material on the internet. I think that would be a cheaper way to go then with the foam material...but I think I'll stick with the foam board since I like the thickness.

    Thanks again for sharing.
    Thanks so much for your kind comments and Please send pix of your fabric folding, we'd love to see how you are doing it and the use of foam boards too.
    Have fun wrapping and be patient it takes so long to get through the pile. :thumbup: :-D :thumbup:

  6. #106
    shopella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pensacola FL
    Posts
    203
    wish I had pices big enough to do that! But then I would never have enough room in my clauset for clothes! Hear is wishing you warmer weather from Florida whare I can only aford to keep my air at 75 and it is a humid 95 outside. Of course if you want to come don't wory about bringing oil BP has already given our beaches enough for all!

  7. #107
    Super Member nwm50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,389
    Wow...can we shop there? Thanks for the tutorials and was wondering why you're wearing long sleeve, it's 96 degrees here in Jax, Fla! Whoo. again love your quilt room!

  8. #108
    Member blessed_beon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Clovis, CA
    Posts
    10
    I want to see the big board for on top of your ironing board. Just buying a new house and want a sewing room, all the hits to keep in neat and clean will be very helpful.

  9. #109
    Senior Member kapatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    820
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm still working at folding my material on the foam boards. Everything is going great. laughing...I watch dumb shows as I fold and that seems to make the time go by very fast.
    I showed my neighbor your sytem and now that is going to be her next project... :lol:

    I can just barely make out parts of your sewingroom in your pictures. Would you mind posting pictures of your complete sewingroom? I would love to see it.

  10. #110
    Super Member sewmuchmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,997
    Blog Entries
    1
    Alaskasunshine, You have made my life a little easier. I do not have very much fabric but with little space the clutter was taken over. Not any more thank you. I shared it with a friend and she going to reorganizing her sewing room also.

  11. #111
    vangelfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    23
    Wow, I'm impressed with how organized you are!!! Your fabric stash is very nice also.

  12. #112

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Up North
    Posts
    5
    Alaskasunshine thank you again for this tutorial I'm so glad I found it. My folding is going well, I actually am starting to have a pantry again. One question - would you use this for fleece? I haven't tried it yet, but I'm finding I have fleece yardage that is taking up a lot of space. I was thinking maybe to cut a different size board for it. Thoughts?

  13. #113
    Super Member alaskasunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    la la land
    Posts
    2,007
    Alaskasunshine thank you again for this tutorial I'm so glad I found it. My folding is going well, I actually am starting to have a pantry again. One question - would you use this for fleece? I haven't tried it yet, but I'm finding I have fleece yardage that is taking up a lot of space. I was thinking maybe to cut a different size board for it. Thoughts? QUOTE.....
    MY RESPONCE...



    Hmmm Fleece? I am not sure about tha I have wrapped flannel but not fleece. Give it a try maybe it will work. No harm in trying. Perhaps I would use longer boards and maybe wrap it in 1/3 rds. Please post pix of you work it is inspiring to see other's work. To date noone has posted anything they have done in their quilt room. :-D I am so glad my tute has been helpful to you!

  14. #114
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake, MS
    Posts
    655
    Blog Entries
    1
    I use plastic covered paper clips - the big size. Worked like a charm.

  15. #115
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake, MS
    Posts
    655
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have spent weeks folding, but it was an enjoyable sensation. I love to feel of my fabric. I found some I didn't remember I had & I am soooo pleased with how it looks. My friends have been impressed since "organized" is seldom applied to me. I have done a demo of it to two guilds. You have started something in Mississippi! Thanks again.

  16. #116
    Super Member alaskasunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    la la land
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by MS quilter
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have spent weeks folding, but it was an enjoyable sensation. I love to feel of my fabric. I found some I didn't remember I had & I am soooo pleased with how it looks. My friends have been impressed since "organized" is seldom applied to me. I have done a demo of it to two guilds. You have started something in Mississippi! Thanks again.
    Oh I am tickled you ran with this fun and rewarding way of organizing your stash of fabrics. I also found fabrics I had forgotten about! :shock: I haven't done any more in my quilting room and still have lots left to finish. Could you post pictures of your room? :thumbup:
    Enjoy what you've done. Glad you were able to share your excitment with your guilds in doing demo's! Kudos to you!!! :-D :thumbup: :-D

  17. #117
    Junior Member Silver Sandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fort Mohave, Az
    Posts
    117
    Blog Entries
    1
    Your quilt room makes me want to come and shop. It turned out beautiful and you should be proud of your hard work. Be careful what you wish for....it's 116 -120 degrees here and HOT, HOT and HOTTER.

  18. #118
    Super Member alaskasunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    la la land
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Sandy
    Your quilt room makes me want to come and shop. It turned out beautiful and you should be proud of your hard work. Be careful what you wish for....it's 116 -120 degrees here and HOT, HOT and HOTTER.
    So right now we have dark clouds and 63*. Please send us some "rays" :lol: I want to see sunshine :roll:

  19. #119
    Super Member alaskasunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    la la land
    Posts
    2,007
    I have had many P.M.s asking what I used to wrap my fabrics on, I used "COROPLAST" It is what signs are made of. The ones you see House for Sale signs made of. I got mine from a local sign company and my DH cut them to size for me. I liked that better than using cardboard and it is thinner and much prettier too. Have fun, I hope this helps! :thumbup: ;) :-D

  20. #120
    Super Member roseOfsharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,501
    Blog Entries
    3
    A very nice room and organization of your fabrics!

  21. #121
    Super Member MistyMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,430
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
    Quote Originally Posted by fish92241
    How hard is it to cut the sign material? Couldn't you use poster board instead if you have nothing to cut the sign material? Loved your tutorial and envy your organized stash!
    You can ask the sign people to cut it for you for a fee. I am not sure if you can use posterboard for this. This sign material is sturdy and wonderful to use. My husband used his table saw to cut mine. I paid $17.00 per 4x8 sheet.
    I hope you are able to do this it is very neat. But it is REALLY TIME CONSUMING!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
    My sister owns a sign shop and does these for me. She has a special tool that cuts her boards. She does do them vertically, but I find that paper-clips work really well in the flutes of the board and I have not had a problem with the boards folding on me. If you cannot find a local sign shop that will do these for you, or if you don't have access to the cutting equipment, check out http://www.quiltfabricorganizers.com - You will also see some great pictures of what else you can do with the coroplast.

  22. #122
    Junior Member Nettie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    149
    Wow, I loved your idea. My daughter works for a sign shop so I can get this stuff free. I am sending her your tutorial so she can see what I am talking about and she can get all my boards cut for me. Now, what I want to know what is the cabintet or storage unit you are using?? Was that made my someone? I am revamping my sewing room so will be showing my carpenter your storage to see if he can build me something like that. How do you store your fat quarters? Do you have pic of that storage or do you also put them on the boards?

    thank you for such great pics.

    Nettie

  23. #123
    Junior Member bmanley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    214
    Wow, Love this, you are so organized and you can see all of your fabric this way. I am going to work on mine now. Thanks so much. :thumbup:

  24. #124
    Super Member alaskasunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    la la land
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettie
    Wow, I loved your idea. My daughter works for a sign shop so I can get this stuff free. I am sending her your tutorial so she can see what I am talking about and she can get all my boards cut for me. Now, what I want to know what is the cabintet or storage unit you are using?? Was that made my someone? I am revamping my sewing room so will be showing my carpenter your storage to see if he can build me something like that. How do you store your fat quarters? Do you have pic of that storage or do you also put them on the boards?

    thank you for such great pics.

    Nettie

    Good for you that your daughter can get you free material for wrapping your fabrics!!! The shelving my fabric is on that you see in the pix was made and set inside the guest room down stairs in the closet. My DH pulled it all out and put it in my "quilting room" upstairs. He bolted it to the wall because we have lots of earthquakes here. :? I have another shelf that is NOT organized yet and I have a huge entertainment center holding large bolts and all of my Featherweights. Also holds my small supply of batiks. If you look at the end of the tute you will see the fat 1/4 folding and storage too.
    :-D

  25. #125
    Super Member oldswimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    1,234
    I would like to see your ironing board too... are you going to give us a quick tute on that? Sure would enjoy that when you find the time.
    Thanks

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.