Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey
    Home depot on line has coroplastic for 10 4x8' sheets for like a hundred and ten dollars or so. I didn't find out the shipping though. However i am goind to see how much to special order the sheets to be delivered to their store. So, I can pick it up there.
    Home Depot is really helpful in special ordering. You might want to check your local sign shops and ask if you can order the coroplast by the large sheets. I paid $18.00 for a 4x8 sheet. I bought 5 at a time. The little bolts go really fast once you get folding. Have fun and enjoy the process! :thumbup: :D

What kind of clips or fasteners do you used to hold the fabric ends to the bolt when you have folded the fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by IowaStitcher
    What kind of clips or fasteners do you used to hold the fabric ends to the bolt when you have folded the fabric?
    they are called Bolt Buddies and I got them from a friend. You might check online for them. I also used straight pins. I hope this helps! :-D

Thank you very much Alaskasunshine for sharing this tutorial with us. You have done a WONDERFUL job sharing all this information with us. So very nice of your dh to do this, I am very thankful to have a dh that will do the same for me! We r so very blessed to have such wonderful dh! I just got my dh a new tablesaw for Christmas so now I will have to have him cut my coroplast for me. Better yet I will have him teach me to do the cutting.
    I want to say congratulations on the Mayor's 1/2 Marathon. YOU GO GIRL!!! Blessing from Maine

Just finished reading this site..can`t wait till tomorrow to go shopping for the coroplast..and get started in organizing my fabric..I have it on shelves,totes,closet, and attic..it will take me the rest of the yr. to do it..thanks Alaskasunshine for your tutorial and getting me started..Kathleen

Banned
    I spent all day organizing fabric, and I'm still only halfway done. Can't wait to post pictures!

I worked on mine yesterday..such fun seeing fabric that I forgot I had and wondered where I got all of it..and why..lol..I am doing it the way someone suggested using my ruler to wrap..it seems to be holding up real good..have one shelf finished..so glad I found this site..Kathleen

ok, I took the plunge, and used the cardboard from the fabric store to wrap some of my fabric. The problem I encountered was my shelf space is 15.5 inches and I am wasting space by doing this. I can see that one needs to have shelving that is about 8 inches to make this useful and to maximize the space. Any thoughts on this?

I am putting my tall yardage in the back and the 1yd. and under in front of it..just starting to organize..I am using the 6 1/2"x34" ruler to fold mine..and it is working great..at first I thought maybe it would not be stiff enough to stand up but find it is..even the 1yd and under..the way it is folded it is stiff enough to stand on its own..Kathleen

I used pins to fasten my ends..and I wrapped my smaller fabric using 6 1/2' to wrap..I might try the 4" ruler..it would probably take up less space..I did fold my 1 yd.pieces like Austriasunshine showed us..Kathleen

I took a trip to Ikea today and got a couple book shelves with doors. Also ordered my corogated plastic from Home Depot. Can;t wait for it to get here. It might waste space but I do like the way it looks and I have my project in plastic to keep that stuff separate. Can't wait for the boards to get here.

Quote Originally Posted by daylily4u
    Thank you very much Alaskasunshine for sharing this tutorial with us. You have done a WONDERFUL job sharing all this information with us. So very nice of your dh to do this, I am very thankful to have a dh that will do the same for me! We r so very blessed to have such wonderful dh! I just got my dh a new tablesaw for Christmas so now I will have to have him cut my coroplast for me. Better yet I will have him teach me to do the cutting.
    I want to say congratulations on the Mayor's 1/2 Marathon. YOU GO GIRL!!! Blessing from Maine
    Ooooh I wanna see pix of you cutting your little bolts! :shock: How fun is this ???Great DH's are hard to come by, we are blessed and many of us on the board are too. Thanks so much on the kudos on my 1st 1/2 marathon I completed and i am in trainging for another 1/2 and then a full marathon. We'll see, thae pavement just be my friend :lol: !!!!! I hope your evening is blessed! :thumbup:

I took a trip to Ikea today and got a couple book shelves with doors. Also ordered my corogated plastic from Home Depot. Can;t wait for it to get here. It might waste space but I do like the way it looks and I have my project in plastic to keep that stuff separate. Can't wait for the boards to get here.
    You will not be wasting any space at all in fact you will be saving space. And you will be able to find the fabric you are looing for very quickly. Please post pix here so we can all be excited with you!

What kind of "boards" are you using?

I thought I was organized, but your organization is amazing along with your stash. Only question, how do you keep the folds from fading from the light or getting dusty?

My sewing room has only one window..so my fabric is not exposed to the sunlight..I am hoping by having my fabric where I can see it I will start using it ..instead of buying more..we will see..

I like that idea...seeing what I have and can give you ideas on what to use it in. I keep telling myself I am going to use what I have and not buy anymore till get my stash down, but can't seem to hold to it. Went to buy some denim for a dog bed cover and came out with 3 other pieces of fabric plus the denim. I may try and do the folding pieces and put them in the drawers. Hopefully that will give me more room and I can see what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by kathyquilter34
    My sewing room has only one window..so my fabric is not exposed to the sunlight..I am hoping by having my fabric where I can see it I will start using it ..instead of buying more..we will see..
    Me too, I only have one window. And sometimes I just have to pull up the blind since we have such a lovely vista! Little by little it will all come to fruition and you will loe what you see! I promise :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I don't have a large stash, but once I started this and have mine on boards where I can see WHAT I have, I really LIKE what I see!!! :) And of course it makes me want to buy more stash..lol

Here are some photos of my first stab at organizing my stash. I just did these two book shelves and now have three more. Waiting on FED EX to bring my boards.

the new shelves
    Name:  Attachment-151039.jpe
Views: 232
Size:  52.4 KB

first bookcases..
    Name:  Attachment-151040.jpe
Views: 227
Size:  85.7 KB

the hutch and book older bookcases
    Name:  Attachment-151041.jpe
Views: 227
Size:  79.3 KB

Blog Entries
    i just wanted to let you know that i did this too my material asap after reading this tut!!! it is amazing how much faster i am able to find what i want, how much more fun it is too browse through the closet, and what a god send my husband has found this because i (or so he thinks) am spending less on fabric b/c i can easily see what i have to fit a project. also, i am teaching my 8 y/o daughter to sew/quilt. it is easier for her to find what she is looking for and i don't end up cleaning up a huge mess after she has shuffled through the stash. a million thanks for this wonderful tut!!!!

Oh Lindsey,
    Your room is wonderful!!! :shock: I love the white and the pretty flowered cups on your shelf!!! Thanks so much for posting what you've done! :thumbup: Please keep posting as you progress :-D

Quote Originally Posted by alikat110
    i just wanted to let you know that i did this too my material asap after reading this tut!!! it is amazing how much faster i am able to find what i want, how much more fun it is too browse through the closet, and what a god send my husband has found this because i (or so he thinks) am spending less on fabric b/c i can easily see what i have to fit a project. also, i am teaching my 8 y/o daughter to sew/quilt. it is easier for her to find what she is looking for and i don't end up cleaning up a huge mess after she has shuffled through the stash. a million thanks for this wonderful tut!!!!
    You are so welcome!!!
    :thumbup: :-D :thumbup: ;)

Banned
    I just finished organizing my fabric today! Thanks again, alaskasunshine for this great tutorial. I loooove having all my fabric organized :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Here are some photos of my first stab at organizing my stash. I just did these two book shelves and now have three more. Waiting on FED EX to bring my boards.
    Did you just buy the new shelves? What kind and where did you get them from? They look nice!

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast