Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt kits >

Quilt kits

Quilt kits

Old 12-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

I have purchased 2 quilt kits and ordered precuts twice. Sizes were off by a lot and so were the precuts. They were all on sale but It was still money spent and was very frustrating. I will order a pattern before I order another kit or precut.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:48 AM

I don't buy kits or precuts. I feel for me they are more expensive. Also, I enjoy the cutting process so I like to do it myself.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:51 AM

keepsake is a good company that has been around for quite some time. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a kit from them. I have heard the precuts from joanns have never been good so I haven't tried them
Old 12-13-2014, 01:04 PM

I buy kits all the time, but never from Joann's. I have never had a problem with a kit purchased from a Quilt Shop!
Old 12-13-2014, 01:22 PM

I have bought several kits from Connecting Threads and been very pleased.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:17 PM

I like to pick up quilt kits when they are on clearance if I like the fabric as they are a great way to build my stash with great fabric lines. I work out what the kit has in it for fabric and calculate a price per yard and you can get some really nice fabric pretty cheap. The pattern that comes with it may or may not ever be used....
Old 12-13-2014, 08:06 PM

Thanks for all the input. It's been very helpful! I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one who has issues the kit from Joann's. It was frustrating to put together but the kit was actually a gift to me so I didn't have any money invested in it.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:23 PM
CRO

I have bought kits from keepsake, fons and porter, my local shop, and one from ebay that customized the colors I wanted. All of them had very generous amounts of fabric so if I did mess up a cut no worries.
All the extra fabric has worked well in my stash for other projects.
I have no color sense ( can't coordinate) so kits are a god send for me.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:28 AM

I love both Keepsake and Connecting Threads. However, with Keepsake a couple of my quilts didn't have enough fabric.

It took a few emails/phone conversations to get it straightened out but they were the best! I found out they stack their fabric when they cut it. So, if your kit is from fabric that is in the middle or bottom of the pile it may not be straight.

My suggestion is get a kit, open it up and look at the fabric asap. That way you will know if you need replacement right away before they run out of fabric.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:29 AM

I've bought from Connecting Threads and have been very happy. They include more than enough material. One kit was missing part of the instructions. I contacted them immediately by email and received the missing instructions by return email. I do recommend examining your kit immediately upon receipt to make sure you have ample material and complete instructions so the company can make any needed corrections while they still have the parts in current stock.