Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt kits >

Quilt kits

Quilt kits

Old 12-15-2014, 06:49 AM

Personal I don't like most pre cuts (just me or maybe not). You would do better getting pre cut kits from Keepsake Quilting, Joann's pre cuts are MASS produced in a factory (so you don't have the quality control, you'll have from other shops who use better fabric and hand cut the pre cuts). Good luck
Old 12-15-2014, 07:04 AM

I like kits because I'm OK picking out two or three fabrics, but four or more and I'm hopeless. There is a LQS in Dickinson, TX, called Pinwheels & Posies that always has the best kits. I only shop there two or three times a year, usually for a shop hop or a guild road trip, because it is so far from me, but I've never been disappointed with their kits. Most of the kits I buy are yardage and the pattern. If there's a mistake in cutting, it's on me. I've never been shorted on fabric and usually have some left over.

If you are looking for a pre-cut kit, check out John Flynn's website. His daughter lazer cuts all their kits, and they are precise. Other than that, the only pre-cut kit I've purchased was a BOM that was pre-fuse applique from Stitchin' Heaven. I haven't bought any regular kits from them, but their BOMs always have extra fabric in them.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:26 AM

It sounds like the kit you bought already had the cutting done? I bought two dr Seuss kits from Keepsake Quilting and you had to do your own cutting but I had gobs of fabric left over! They don't short you on fabric!
Old 12-15-2014, 07:46 AM

I have bought kits from many places. I have found Connecting Threads to be the most generous in amount of fabric provided. Keepsake has usually been fine but on occasion fabric was barely enough after washing. I am always very careful when I buy from one LQS that I go to because it's kits always provide barely enough fabric - one miscut and I'm in trouble.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:11 AM

I prefer to buy kits as I don't have to deal with a bunch of different pieces of fabric. I've ordered kits for years and have never been disappointed.....most have lots of material and if I have ever needed more (only happened once) I called and was able to get it......didn't wait too long as I was afraid it wouldn't be available. I once bought some "monthly" kits from Joann's....they were just enough....no extra....will NEVER do that again.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:06 AM
lbc

I have had great luck with Keepsake kits.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:30 PM

I love the kits from Keepsake and Connecting threads always have plenty of fabric and great instruction. Sometimes I buy them on sale for the fabric only to add to my collection or I will have another pattern in mind. I would go for it!
Old 12-16-2014, 02:18 AM

Connecting Threads is my first choice, Keepsake second. I have bought several.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:54 PM

When you get the kit open it up and make sure it is as it should be. If it's not call the company and they will make it right. This is what I do and have never been disappointed.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:14 PM

I prefer to purchase kits....HOwever, I do not like the kits where the fabric is precut. I have not had any luck with these kits. I have purchased many kits from Keepsake Quiling and have never been disappointed. I have also purchased from other online stores and will do it again. If it is the colors and pattern I like then I get it. I now stay away from precut fabric. No room for error and if they have made an error you are scooped.