Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organise your fabric stash? >

How do you organise your fabric stash?

How do you organise your fabric stash?

Old 03-26-2016, 05:42 AM

I sort by color with large pieces in bins. I also sort by fat quarters in flat bins and those by color. Since I am an avid 30's lover I have one flat bin just for those then in color sequence. When I have small pieces of fabric I add them to the fat quarter bins or if they are really small they go in a separate place until I get a wild hair and decide what to do with them...usually a doll quilt or small wall hanging. I also have a separate bin for Christmas, another for baby and other holidays, plaids and one for checked gingham. That is how it is now but who knows, I might decide to redo! I simply love my stash!!
Old 03-26-2016, 06:24 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I've now reorganised! First I pulled out a lot of fabric that no longer inspires me, and that will be donated, as will about 70% of my scraps - they were out of control! I've sorted the fabric into 3 sequences by size, very roughly under a quarter yard;, quarter yard to somewhere over a yard; possibly big enough to use as backings. Then by colour. The small pieces are filed vertically in a basket and the rest in drawers. It looks great, and it's much easier to see what I've got.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]546078[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 03-26-2016, 06:34 AM
Banned

I am folding my fabric on comic backing board and labeling
each by how much I have.

Not even remotely close to being finished, but I'm trying.

This is just a quick little sample of how I am doing mine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]546079[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2016-01-16-16.21.49-medium-.jpg  
Old 03-26-2016, 07:22 AM

That looks wonderful! I can see why it's taking a while...
Old 03-26-2016, 09:53 AM

My collections I organize together, all my batiks together, then the rest are organized by color. The flannels and baby type fabrics are organized together too. As I tend to purchase a bolt of the neutrals I like so well, I have all the bolts organized by color or collections if I have enough of them. My apparel fabrics are also organized by type of fabric verses color......silky, satin, linen, wool, etc. I still have some in plastic totes as I ran out of room to put them onto the shelves.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:09 AM

I don't. I just let them be together. It is the symphony of all the colors and patterns that inspire me.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:14 AM

First I separate my theme fabrics - Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc., then by color. I do keep my flannels together - and my scraps in a container of their own.
My fabric is wrapped onto the comic boards so it is easier to see what is there and kept in plastic bins that are made for files so the boards are upright.
Since I do a lot of "I Spy" type quilts I do keep my extra squares/fussy cuts in a box of their own.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 03-26-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I keep backing pieces in their own cupboard. The rest is sorted by color (for the most part). I also keep batiks together and I have a stack of children's prints and large prints together. The off-cuts and anything smaller than a F8 goes into the scrap bins. I have one for lights, one for darks, and one for really small pieces to be used for applique.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:42 PM

I organize basically by color. All my fabric is in plastic boxes. I do have boxes with novelty or specialty groups. I have quite a few Asian fabrics and they are boxed together by color. I also have a box for plaids, car fabrics, dog fabrics and non quilting fabrics like tapestries and upholstery fabrics. Large pieces are hung over hangers in the closet.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:56 AM

I have two chest on chest type dressers in my sewing room. One is for yardage that is arranged by color and the other chest is for fat quarters and have half yards all arranged by color. One drawer in each chest is for seasonal fabric (Halloween or Christmas), and on my sun-porch is another set of drawers with interfacing's, heat and bonds, etc.....I really have too much crap!! LOL