2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-08-2018, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

I too revamped my space before Christmas and I'm still fine tuning the set up and trying to remember where I put things in their new home!
Old 02-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Wow, everyone is doing great! I'm doing well too, but I'm wondering if it's because my LQS keeps sending announcements that they are closed due to the weather! If the local school district has a snow day, they do too.
I keep deleting emails from fabric sites without opening... but I'm not unsubcribing either
Old 02-09-2018, 01:27 PM

I'm holding my own about not buying fabric. I've also cut out 6 "kits" to give out to people who are interested in a prayer quilt ministry at church. Lots of strips! Hopefully all 6 will be taken. I also have several tops ready to quilt and I'll use fabric from stash for backings.

The other day, my priest asked me if I would provide her a tentative budget for prayer quilt supplies for the rest of the year. She looked at me in surprise when I said to come back and ask me in 2020! At least by then I should be in need of batting. Non quilters really don't know how extensive our stashes can be! Although I probably will need a roll of batting towards the end of this year. I only have enough left for 14 or 15 quilts.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:05 PM

Well since my FQ bundle fall, I've done well and even better than that I guess. Went through some fabric that's been hiding away in a closet and sorted it. I think it has to be at least 35 yards going out the door for donation. Sure has cleared out and cleaned up that closet nice. Now on to the other closets in the house I guess though none of them have fabric thankfully.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:15 PM

So happy for all of you that are holding to their fabric moratorium pledge. Congratulations.

As for me-----I have been so bad. The end of January, I was told that I was going to be a great aunt in July. I decided on Saturday that I would work from my stash but I needed to make neutral boy/girl quilt. My husband loves to drive, so we took a 2 hour drive to Wales, MA. I had bought a pattern by Nancy Zimmerman on my last visit, thinking I had enough reds and beiges, but I didn't, so I needed to buy the fabric for that quilt to honor Nancy. While there, I saw the neutral quilt pattern that I needed, and the background is green, that my niece loves. So 2 quilt tops and $130 later!!!!! My January purchase.

And so today, I wanted/needed reds and blues for Kathleen Tracey's and the Buttermilk Basin internet blocks. So off we went and then $62 later.

I promise no more shopping in February.

But then comes March, a shop hop.

So I guess I have been banned from your group.

My stash is extensive, as you may have guessed.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

Oh Blue Bell...we never ban members..we just put out a hand and help you up. But if you use the fabric...well that's not a big deal for falling off the wagon.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:00 PM

So, once again, I worked 10 hour days Mon-Thur, which resulted in me having today (Friday) off!! So, after some delays due to helping hubby with some new ductwork for the heating system, down the road I went to Foust's.
And I must say, there was very little that got me excited. I guess that's good for my Moratorium, bad for fresh insight. I bought a "short bolt" (4 1/2 yds) of camo fabric, and a small bolt of solid black (10 yds), so total of 14.5 yards... for (drum roll, please) only $47 total.
The camo fabric is going to be the back of a baby quilt (it's a boy, and both parents are deer hunters). In my stash, I found a set of pillow panels with different views of deer on it, and it's about 2 yards, so there I go - use up stash, buy minimal fabric to finish, and have a cool gift for some good friends.

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Great resolve, everyone. I have been good too.
Leta, I imagine you sharing your space with tractors and farm equipment. It gave me a good chuckle. As long as the live stock isn't in the room, I suppose it's all good. lol
Haha, MadQuilter, we have in the past actually brought newborn's into the house if there were problems with baby and/or mama... or if it was extremely cold. And when we first got married, he would "park" his motorcycle in the kitchen in the winter so it would crank easily for his drive to work the next morning. Mostly what's in here now is a welder, welding "consumables", and several different kinds of power tools. Hubby has his own version of "quilting" - it's called "machine shop stuff".

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Leta, I think we need to recognize what we like when we quilt. Scrappy isn't a part your quilting experience so why try to make scrappy quilts. I saw a scrap quilt on a blog this last week that defined the term "looks like dog vomit". And even though I like scrappy, this one didn't cut it for me. And yes, Teen hit the nail on the head with her comment. I've bought some lovely fabric in the past...now is the time to use it.
When helping hubby today, I "rediscovered" some more fabrics, and that was another reason why Foust's just didn't appeal today. I found quite a bit of fabric... more than just scraps, more even than FQ's, but not any significant yardage, and that part of me that just "doesn't do scrappy" was thinking "now what?" But the part of me that is frugal said "dig out those patterns in binders!!" So I did! There's quite a bit of the same color groupings (I didn't realize how much I like purple!!!), so altogether, it's kind of scrappy yet kind of organized. And in my binder was three patterns that I've pulled out. So, my organization OCD part of me will be ok with this kind of scrappy.

Now all I have to do is finish helping hubby with the ductwork so my sewing room can go from "disaster area status" back to "moderately cluttered". Tomorrow should see that completed, so I will working on binding the commission, load the vintage, and frog the Lone Star (and use the black fabric purchased today to fix a problem).

And bummer - they quit carrying prewound bobbins. So, I guess I'll have to shop Amazon for that.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:05 PM

BlueBell, you're not banned!! We wouldn't do that!!
Babies on the way are an exclusion... or at least, I think they should be! (Of course I would say that, since that's why I bought camo at Foust's today! )

Nope, we just drool over pics of what you do with your latest purchase, while we cheer you on when you do resist temptation!

Now, you gotta post pics soon!!
Old 02-09-2018, 05:31 PM

Well January was good I spent nothing even with my birthday exception. Little step off the wagon yesterday was wondering Tuesday morning and found two small fat quarter bundles that had the neutrals I want for an upcoming quilt project. I did not get the other tonga treats they had although in my favorite colors. Used up so far all stash for my Mom's queen quilt not sure I have enough for borders so I am trying to figure that out. Still working on UFO's using only stash set aside for the project and what every I can come up with when I have run short so more coming out of stash then these two four packs of fat quarters and those were cheap! So I don't feel too bad nice brands too. I will have to buy some backings coming up watching for a sale and some batting. Really should buy a roll with all the really large quilts I have in the works. Also pulled out some random strips I got from somewhere and sewing them all into 16 patches not sure what pattern I will use them for but getting them out of my hair is good. need to come up with better storage for strips. Everyone is doing so good this year its helping me stick to my really strict budget.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:42 PM

Thought I should share the blue and white double Irish chain king is for my MIL and I have another two rows to add and then here is the center for my mom queen. All done so far from stash I have backing and batting for MIL but not my Mom's [ATTACH=CONFIG]588733[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]588734[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails milquilt.jpg   momquilt.jpg