2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 03-02-2018, 06:54 AM

That's a lovely scrappy ckcowl.

I fell off the wagon and no excuse but a moment of weakness. Bought a kit and some FQs. So with the combination I would say 7 yards of fabric. I hope to do better in the future.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:35 PM

I fell off the wagon too, no excuse here either. I went with my sister and a friend down to the sew expo in Puyallup it was a distance away for us so could have used the travel exemption or the fact I never used my birthday exemption but really I just planned a budget a very small and firm one. Had a good time and didn't really feel the need to buy that much most was useful things for quilting. A chalk pencil and chalk pounce like Angela Walters uses along with a stencil for use on my MIL quilt. I bought some sale fat quarters for 1.50 six of those and one yard of red batik to go on my fall quilt I needed more red. And there is a place there that sells fabric by the pound and has a whole bunch of other odds and ends I picked up some Kona cotton remnants two in colors I was out of that I use for backgrounds and one in a blue that will work better with those 16 patch blocks I made. The yellow I shared earlier did work but it dominated the quilt not in a bad way but I did not want to have that much yellow. I tried some blue I had but it did not pop enough either so this works way better for the hourglass blocks and a stop border. It was funny I just guessed since I forgot to bring a sample with me and it was just about perfect. So overall I did okay some I needed a few FQ that I didn't. It was funny I kept saying I have enough fabric I don't need this and I would walk away. I also was thinking about coming home and writing this and I felt more accountable so thanks you guys were the good influence on my shoulder
Old 03-02-2018, 02:20 PM

to use 15 yds of fabric requires a lot of sewing. I'm beginning to think this way when I'm tempted to buy fabric.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:24 AM

I haven't bought any fabric since I ordered the Olaf fabric. It came in and I'm working on a reversiable quilt for the GN.

Today I'm suppose to go to a LQS demonstration. It should be interesting. I also need to p/u my Barn BOM. I don't need to buy any fabric other than backing for my BHMQ. So far haven't found anything I really like, in the size I like. Oh well I still have time, I'm still working on trimming the 400 FG pieces. About 200+ to trim. Then I can assemble the 50 blocks and put together. Another week or two.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:58 AM

Shows and Expos are hard Altairss. Sounds like you didn't fall too far at least as it seems you got most things your stash was lacking.

That's a good idea to tell myself when I'm tempted petthefabric. And if that doesn"t work maybe I can always picture stacks of fabric falling on me or something similar for my moments of weakness.

Have fun happylab. Sounds like you've been very busy.

I'm plugging along on my DWR and am enjoying the way the colors are playing with each other. So I don't get too bored I'm working on a few UFOs at the same time. Sooner or later something is bound to get done.

Also trying a new technique for sandwiching quilts that's looking very promising. A little closer to spray basting but with elmer's glue. I'm combining several ideas from online to see if I can get it close enough. Always had trouble with drizzling the glue. Love the spray basting except for the chemicals even with windows and doors open it lingers.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:51 PM

Altairss.... You should be very proud of yourself. I think you did great... you can consider yourself to be an conscientious shopper. That's what this challenge has taught me, too.

happylab....great progress on BHMQ. That mystery appeared to be so labor intensive. She does like her gazillion pieces in her designs...lol.. I like trimming and would so help you if I could.

elly...looking forward to seeing DWR. Please share how glue technique works for you. I still spray when I'm going to quilt myself instead of LA so I would be interested in hearing your take on it.

other than the WOW purchase needed earlier this week, No new purchases for me. Been watching Crafty's free weekend on videos....if you haven't seen the class on pieced borders by Winnie, tune in. Well worth time.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:00 AM

CKCowl-Your sticks and stones quilt is fantastic. what a great way to make a dent in those scraps!

As for my moratorium, I bought nothing in January. In February, my only unnecessary fabric purchase was 2-1/2 yds and 6 fq's.

The fq's were for my stash of precuts, and have already been cut down and are ready to use when needed (I was almost out of yellows, so those were sort-of a need). The 2-1/2 yd. piece was bought in hopes that it would replace a fabric I wasn't thrilled with in a with a UFO I wanted to finish, and it did (woohoo!). It has already been cut up and I'm assembling the blocks as my L/E project, so it never made it to the stash.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:51 AM

Good job JJBlaine- even if those were "unnecessary" purchases- they were still mindful ones since you purchased them either for a specific project or to replace frequently used colors in your stash!

Rob
Old 03-04-2018, 06:13 AM

Good morning from rainy Minnesota! I woke up to some thunder and a flash of lightning! I'm so thankful my son raked more snow off the garage and house roof on Friday. Now the rain hopefully will run freely off of the roof. We are on the edge of the snow watch for tomorrow-6-11" possible. I hope it misses us. Lol!

Teen: I will check out that Craftsy video later today. I have been watching/listening to some piecing blocks videoes.

I don't know how many yards I ordered last week because I told my LQS that I wanted to finish my quilt like the shop sample. . Since this is to complete the BOM project from them, I can claim an exemption.

Time to get up and moving. Have a great day!

Connie
Old 03-04-2018, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the heads up on Craftsy weekend Teen. Will check it out especially the pieced borders one.
JJBlaine you're doing great for the beginning of the year.