Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I've been using a FitBit since Christmas. >
  • I've been using a FitBit since Christmas.

• I've been using a FitBit since Christmas.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:16 PM

What is the app called?

Originally Posted by patski
    There is an app for smart phones that is free and it counts steps really well
    Old 02-06-2015, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hartllk
    I too got a Fitbit a couple of weeks ago. One thing in particular . . . On the days I sew I have to make special effort to get my steps in. When we sew we just don't move around a lot. I'm trying to take a little more time to move around when I get up to press or retrieve something. Not sure ours are perfectly accurate, but it's all relative. Raises awareness of how little we are moving around during the day. One day at a time!!
    I have that same problem, that when I am sewing, no steps taken or very few. I also spend time at the gym in the water and lifting weights so even though I have exercised for 2 hours, very few steps recorded. I still like it though, it does make you more aware and to try a little harder to be active.
    Old 02-07-2015, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter
    I've never had much luck with pedometers and I have tried several different ones. They do not pick up the actual number of steps I take. When I have tested them against the same route for consistency or actually counted the number of steps I took over a prescribed route the pedometer was never consistent and considerably under-counted the number of steps I took. Have you checked the fit bit for accuracy or consistency?
    Many times I tried using a pedometer and they wouldn't work properly and I do walk a lot. Then last year I got an Omron pedometer (approx $35 Cdn) that works while in your pocket, hanging around your neck or clipped to your clothing. Not sure if it has some kind of GPS thing going on or what... and it works for me. I try for 10,000 steps a day.... if I'm spending a few hours sewing I usually manage about 5,000. This model includes the aerobic steps you do and the calories etc. but I'm only interested for fun to see how close to 10,000 I can get. On hiking days I get around 17,000 steps in... feels great! Hopefully you can find something that works, it's just another little incentive to get out there.

I've heard lots of good stories about the fitbit and I enjoy hearing Bonnie Hunter talk about using hers while treadling and she counts that.