Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Journeys with Dear Jane: Baby Janes in the making and complete >

Journeys with Dear Jane: Baby Janes in the making and complete

Journeys with Dear Jane: Baby Janes in the making and complete

Old 05-18-2014, 04:18 AM

Slowly working on my blocks. I hesitate to post pictures because I'm so out of order from our original schedule. Working on H-6 Pie Sale today. Something whacky is happening to my printer, though. It's a HP Photosmart C4780. My husband picked it up and moved it. That's all!! When I used it the next time this is what happens when I put paper piecing paper or freezer paper in it:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]475915[/ATTACH]

We replaced the ink cartridge, it didn't help. I was having absolutely no problems before he picked up the printer. Now all this extra -yucky- ink on every piece! Any ideas?

Here is a sample of my utility/big stitch I'm doing with Valdani perle cotton:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]475916[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1070.jpg   img_0868.jpg  

Last edited by CindyA; 05-18-2014 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:25 PM

I am hand quilting with metallic thread , using batting and light weight muslin with each block. I have never done Qayg before, but knew that the size of the quilt would be overwhelming when it was completed and time to quilt. When I have all the blocks together, I will be adding a cotton backing and then I will machine quilt down the sashing because I don't want the metallic ends exposed. Good luck with your dj. Thanks for the comments and hope I have answered your questions.

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
Spartan Quilter, your tris look great. Are you hand or machine quilting them? And, have you done the quilt-as-you-go technique before? I have only done it once and I was a little disappointed in my results. I am attempting it again with DJ. I am using a perle cotton and doing it by hand. I like the results and it's going quickly. The only part I don't like is hand stitching the batting sections together. I don't like the process and I am worried it won't stay together once the quilt is done.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:32 PM

Wow. CindyA your blocks are awesome. And don't be concerned about doing blocks out of order. I am just doing 1 row at a time and joining them, just in case I fall behind again, and i know none of my daughters would finish it. Right now I have 5 rows completed and that would be enough to put across the foot of a bed
Old 05-18-2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cre8tvlwyr View Post
SheriR - your points are perfect - I don't understand why you redid Papa's star though? It looked like the first one was identical to Jane Stickle's Brenda's sketch is simplified by putting the star in a more even centered position, but Jane's is skewed.... mine is too. All your stars look great - don't discard the original one though
Gus
Oh Gus, I like your skewed star! My first cotton star I put background in two spots.....def redo! LoL
Old 05-18-2014, 03:57 PM

I am so disappointed that I can't post any blocks this week. I have them done, but I got a new computer and it is being mean to me, and I can't figure out how to post. From my ipad. I will keep trying and maybe surprise myself. Keep posting blocks, have so enjoyed seeing what others are doing. See you next week.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:28 PM

Boy, I didn't think that I was going to be able to post my triangles for the week, and I actually got 2 done. Trouble with a new computer, so I just hooked my old one back up and here I am. The first block is RS #3, and after I had the center piece all put together, I realized that I had gotten a VERY dark blue in there instead of the purple, but, oh well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]476105[/ATTACH]

The next one is RS #4, and this one went together fairly well, and I am satisfied with it. It is progress.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]476107[/ATTACH]

Thanks for looking and keep those new blocks coming. I love seeing others' progress. Have a great week. Maybe next week, I can master that new computer and post from there.
Attached Thumbnails 2014-may%7E%7E3-4-rs-triangles-001.jpg   2014-may%7E%7E3-4-rs-triangles-002.jpg  
Old 05-19-2014, 05:44 PM

Way to go Spartan!

I had a mostly chocolate (brown fabrics) week: I2, K12, H13, M12, M5.

Having picture postings issues so they are in my album.

Last edited by Fraew; 05-19-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:43 AM

Hello everyone. Beautiful blocks everyone, I still keep up with you all but not working on my Jane at this time.

I originally planned to do my dear Jane by hand piecing on the road. Well for various reasons that did not work. Too much prep and than I forget where I was on the block. SO, I decided to put Jane on hold until we are finished traveling so much. Now I'm into hexies which are easy to carry along, make and construct. Below is a pic of what I'm up to now!!
Attached Thumbnails rsz_img_3628.jpg   rsz_img_3627.jpg  
Old 05-24-2014, 08:30 AM

Love your hexies. They look like they are only 1/2" hexies.
Marcia in TX
Old 05-25-2014, 05:08 AM

OMG, LOVE your hexies, Dakotamaid!!! Thanks for posting pictures. Sorry it didn't work out to take DJ on the road, but I can understand how it could become a difficult quilt to travel with. I'm doing my DJ differently now and it is helping me keep my space a little more organized (or at least a little less disorganized!!). I'm printing out a lot of my pp or freezer paper templates ahead of time, then cut the fabrics for each block and put the pieces in baggies (one baggie for each block). Then I sit and sew several blocks in a row without having to print the templates or stop to cut fabrics. That always slowed me down because I don't have a dedicated sewing space and it's so difficult picking my fabrics out of the bins. Might work while traveling it you ever want to try it again. I hope to sit and sew a little this afternoon and have pics to post here later.