Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Journeys with Dear Jane: Baby Janes in the making and complete >

Journeys with Dear Jane: Baby Janes in the making and complete

Journeys with Dear Jane: Baby Janes in the making and complete

Old 05-25-2014, 06:30 AM

CindyA, thanks for the method of doing your Jane. I might try this as I'm still dreaming of doing this quilt! I didn't mean to hijack the thread just thought you all might like to see up I'm doing instead of my Jane!! LOL!! Keep those Jane blocks coming.

Marcias, I used 3/4 inch on the side hexies for this one. I am going to do one in 3/8 inch on the side when I finish this one. This one is going pretty fast.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:57 PM

Hello everyone! How are you?
I am sorry in the soul that I was not participating in the thread or forum.
Life intervened onmy way, was the fourth anniversary of my blog and I designed a table runner with Hunter's Star Variation block, and I'm sharing every week as a tutorial with pictures.
You havea photo with a breakthrough, it has not been finished yet.

This made I left a bit of side my DJ. But today you can share it 2 new blocks: H-8 and H-9, which are my particular week # 38. I hope that these are to your liking. I sharesome pictures and the scheme. See you next week! A big hug to all!
Attached Thumbnails h-7.jpg   h-8.jpg   semana-38.jpg   esquema-con-mis-fotos.jpg   camino-de-mesa.jpg  

Last edited by GV09; 05-30-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:18 AM

Hi Gus,

I started on Dear Jane about a month ago. I have approx 50 blocks done and would love to follow along with all of you. I have the book, not the software and prefer to paper piece those that can be done that way. I love the applique blocks and especially like the ones that are reverse. I am going to take inventory and see what I need to get on schedule with all of you.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:38 AM

Hi Angie!
Welcome aboard I have to say this thread is filled with some awesome 'Janiacs' and we are all at various stages - so there's no real effort required to "get on schedule" with us other than to have fun!!

You don't really need the software - although some do prefer it. I personally have both but use primarily the book. Just to re-iterate for some that have joined this group and 'missed it' in the last... Brenda Papadakis, who was given permission to draft patterns for the original Jane Stickle quilt and wrote the book [as well as 'Dear Hannah'] is also a mathematician. She drafted more than one version of a block in many cases. Sometimes the block that is 'drawn' and found next to the picture of the original does not match completely. Most of these times [not every time] if you have the software, Brenda has a pattern that more closely resembles the original available as one of the variations. Take A-1 for example - the original Jane version is a bit 'skewed' - the octagonal square is trying to be a circle Brenda's drawing and her other version on the software is not skewed and is pretty straightforward, squared off, and very easy for quick HST [half square triangle] piecing. The corners can be paper pieced easily. I have it scheduled in the third week, and it is considered 'intermediate.' If you skew the pattern, it's more of an advanced block! You have to decide what version works for you and make it 'yours.' Brenda put many many hours into giving us all wonderful options and starting us on our own Jane path.

I love paper piecing as well. Have learned on this site that kid's 'crayola pads' make the best paper that tears easily. I have also purchased newspaper weight paper by the ream. When you set your printer to 'draft' so that the ink isn't as heavy you can easily print on this a page at a time to get your patterns ready to go on ez- tear paper. I do find paper piecing frustrating when there are lots of pieces because I am anal about removing all those itty bitty pieces!
Therefore, when I can avoid it at all, I pseudo paper piece [the Cynthia England way in which you cut freezer paper exact, and sew at/off the edge of the paper so there's no paper to tear!] or I measure very carefully and forget the paper altogether.

50 blocks is great!!! I seem to be at a standstill.... gotta take my lead from Gladys [GV09] steady and absolutely beautiful!
Gus

Last edited by Cre8tvlwyr; 06-01-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:26 PM

Thank you Gus! I need to recount my blocks since sending the first message, but I think I have done around 70 now. My goal is to do 5 a day, which I have been able to do so far with the exception of yesterday. I do not work due to a spinal cord injury and going through multiple surgeries (5). I still have 2 to go, but I function well and to look at me, you would not know I have the injury. So, long story short, I have a lot of time on my hands. I am so glad I found all of you. I love looking at all of the blocks that have been created. I have not really found a need for the software as of yet. I have been getting by with just the book fine. I am sure if I have questions, I could probably find the answer here.

Thanks again for welcoming me and I will post some blocks soon!

Thank you,
Angie

For paper piecing, I have just been printing on a thin, cheap, copy paper and have not had an issue with it being hard to tear. I too hate the little bits of paper and make sure that it is all removed.

As for the blocks I have done: I have Row A and B completely finished, almost all of Row L (I have 3 to complete there) and random blocks here and there. So far, I am very pleased with my blocks.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:28 AM

Hello ladies, I know I haven't posted here for a LONG time - but I am excited to tell you I have finished piecing my Christmas Baby Jane this afternoon. Here is the link to my design wall and I have added the tiny picture at the very top of the page - which was taken this afternoon. If you click on it - the photo will enlarge.

http://www.dotsbjwall.talktalk.net/

A friend with a longarm machine is going to baste it for me - as my back won't allow me to scramble around trying to do it !!
I started my DJ back in May 2007 - can't believe I have achieved my goal. !!
Old 06-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

WOW Stunning!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:33 PM

Oh DottyD! My oh my. Congratulations.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:34 AM

That really is beautiful, Dotty! Congratulations, it's been a long time in the making, I've enjoyed watching as you make progress. I just discovered that long-armers can thread baste a quilt and I have one out right now being basted. It certainly is worth the cost, isn't it?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:22 AM

Congrats, Dotty!