Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 11-12-2011, 04:07 AM

We have documented my husbands family back to the Mayflower. He would be related to 3 of the Pilgrims because their children and grandchildren married each other. Also he would be related to Tom Thumbs wife.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:49 AM

Mothers, side Grandfather Sherrif_______ Fathers side Grandmother Boot-legger
Old 11-12-2011, 06:23 PM

Hi PensyDutch, I've been told that I am also related to FDR's mother. My mother's family history takes us back to the Mayflower. This has been documented. I'm related to Francis Cooke. Apparently FDR's mother also is related to Francis Cooke. So maybe you are a descendent of the Mayflower and a distant cousin. Isn't that interesting?
Old 11-12-2011, 06:30 PM

My Dutch paternal ancestor was one of the first people to settle in New Amsterdam (New York City). He started a bakery and farmed along the East River in what is now Chinatown! This past summer, while on vacation in NYC, my son and I had our picture taken standing in Chatham Square where his farm was once located. :0
Old 11-13-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hosta View Post
my mom's family were moonshiners
Not mine, but my kids (on their Dad's side). His grandma, on his mom's side, they all lived on the side of a hill in WV, coal mining family. Momma was so big, her son's had a special whistle they used up the mountqin, to warn that the revenooers were coming. That way big momma would know to sit on the boxes that held the moonshine, so they were hidden!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 PM

One of my ancestors from my mother's side, signed the Declaration of Independance.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:19 PM

My mother's family came over on the Mayflower and my grandmother joined the Mayflower Compact Society when she was doing the geneaology research. That family settled parts of western Massachusetts.

My father's family came in the 1650s time frame and settled in what became New Hampshire. There is an entire town, East Swanzey, settled mostly by my dad's family - Whitcomb. In his family, there were like 5 brothers who all fought in the Revolutionary War and one became a general. My niece had to do family history as a project so she and sister just drove to east Swanzey and Swanzey for the research and talked to many relatives of ours.

My dad's father started"The Whitcomb Lobster Trap Company." It was sold by my aunt, dad's oldest sister.

Family name for female children is Hepsebah but can't remember which side of the family.

I am eligible for the DAR and the Mayflower Compact Society. We were probably rum runners back in the days of rum running from New England.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:30 PM

This thread is keeping me from quilting, it's so interesting!!
I stopped at page 14.. .
My GGG grandfather was Aaron Burr's physician and with him when he died. He also was a doctor during the Civil War, and spent time with Lafayette while he was in NY My GGGG grandfather was a congress man in 1806 and neighbors with Daniel D. Tompkins, the Vice President... ( I have a letter dictated by his daughter in which she describes going to a birthday party at their house ) I have a letter somewhere that is signed by William H. Seward (Sewards Folly) that was addressed to one of these guys too...
My second cousin 7x removed signed the Declaration of Independence..

Last edited by aliaslaceygreen; 11-15-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:09 PM

My direct ancestor was George Soule, who came on the Mayflower. My uncle was on the Arizona when it was sunk in Pearl Harbor, he survived. My dad worked in the shipyards in Tacoma during WWII, he had had polio as a child and was left with a limp so couldn't serve in the military, but he did serve in the calvary National Guard in Wyoming. One of my cousins helped develop microwave ovens, another helped develop the Poloroid camera.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:34 PM

Not much on my side, but Elvis Presley is my son-in-law's third cousin, making my gd a fourth cousin. Would you believe that my SIL looks a lot like Elvis.