Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Buying a sewing machine >
  • Buying a sewing machine

• Buying a sewing machine

Old 06-27-2011, 03:14 PM

I had a used machine (Babylock Crafters Choice) and I enjoyed it very much. Then I bought the Babylock Melody in November of last year. I took the classes and I am having a great time with the Melody. I say go for it if you are absolutely sure you will love sewing/quilting. Babylock allows you to upgrade / trade in for full value within the first year. So look into that. My dealer is in Wilmington, DE (no tax!) It would be worth the ride up from where you are. PM me if you want the name and address.I can't say enough good about them. A family run business. I have been there plenty of times when I made errors and I have never been charged for anything.
    Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by AthenaNabi
    Thank you all for your advice! I actually wound up buying the Viking Sapphire 835 because I felt like it was better quality and it came with a better warranty! I still don't know how to use it but Im excited to learn!

Wow! You jumped right into what would have been my 3rd machine to trade up to!! I sure hope you bought that machine at a dealer vs. store, so they can help you figure it all out....you will need questions answered, even after you learn to sew a bit.

Much luck and post pictures of what you make :)
    Old 06-28-2011, 02:55 AM

I think you should get a used machine from a reputable sewing machine dealer. If you find one bring your own fabric to sew on since dealers always have something super starched that any machine can sew on. Get a brand that has a very good reputation for the vintage. A Singer from the 70"S would not be as good of a choice as an older model. Any used Bernina would be wonderful. There are many more oldie but goodies. You are way better off with an old dependable machine than a cheap one built today. PatternReview.com has lists of machines that have been reviewed. If you find one ask the Board what they think of this brand/model. You don't have to spend a lot of money. Good luck!
    Old 06-28-2011, 03:08 AM

Firstly, I want to welcome you to the wonderfully addicting world of sewing/quilting! Everyone here has offered you sound advice and I hope do hope you heed their words.
    Please do not put yourself at the mercy of a big, fancy, expensive machine that will undoubtedly overwhelm you and possibly cause you to just drop the whole idea because it's too complicated.
    Start with the basics. I bought my very first machine, a Sears Kenmore, from a lovely lady at her yard sale. That was back in 1978. I gave $25 for it and it's still going strong! Since then, I've added a couple of Featherweights and a couple of more advanced machines to my collection.
    Start with a reasonably priced basic machine that you can learn the basics on. Try craigslist, yard sales, or even ask your friends (and their parents) if anyone has a good used machine lying around they no longer want/need. Good luck!
    Old 06-28-2011, 03:12 AM

this is such a personal choice, My advice would to be buy the best quality machine you can find, which may not be the cheapest you can find. If you are learning and you have a machine that is fussy or does not sew well, it will frustrate you and take the joy out of learning - and could turn you off from sewing. I'd buy from a dealer, they are your support system as you have questions/problems/need help.
    my own journey started with a 1940 black singer, "aka, the beast", then a kenmore (20 years and still going strong) , then a Janome MC6500 and a Bernina 440. I loved them all, but as my skill grew I wanted more flexibility in the machine to do more things, these machines were over a 25 year period (oh my gosh, am I that old, lol!) good luck with your purchase and enjoy for learning journey.
    Old 06-28-2011, 03:13 AM
    Power Poster

go on the vintage sewing machine section here and look at all the information before you buy good money for a new plastic machine.
    Old 06-28-2011, 03:39 AM

for a good used machine check out Vacuum/Sewing Machine sales stores in your area if there are any. They usually have a variety of manufacturers, their techs are trained to work on all brands they carry, and they almost always offer WAY better warranty periods than fabric shops that sell machines. Good luck and welcome to our world.
    Old 06-28-2011, 03:42 AM

I would buy the best new or used machine you can afford. My good machine is in for a tune up and I tried to use a cheap machine my mother-in-law gave me. I have had so much trouble with the thread breaking and tension not right that I have given up until my machine is back.

It would sure turn me off to sewing if I got a machine that I had problems with.
    Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 AM

Glad to hear you're learning to quilt. It's addicting, so be careful. :) Have you checked the local Craigslist listings for used Berninas? I would recommend you look for a used mechanical Bernina, or a simple computerized one. I recently bought a Bernina 1031, used, and I am AMAZED at how smooth and quiet it is. It's decorative stitches are limited, but my needs are pretty simple. Compared with computerized machines (I have a few of those too), it free motions like a dream. I really think it's worth looking for a good used Bernie, but that's just my opinion. Good luck. :)
    Old 06-28-2011, 03:53 AM

I really love my babylock, haven't used the melody though. But babylocks are very user friendly, real easy to use. It is probably more user friendly than the emerald, not that that is a bad machine, but I agree with the outgrowing, if you can afford it now, get the best you can, even with the bells and whistles babylocks are not hard to use