Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you organise your fabric stash? >

How do you organise your fabric stash?

How do you organise your fabric stash?

Old 03-27-2016, 09:22 AM

If you fold your fabric pretty consistently, why would you want to lose the possible space for comic boards and not fabric?
Old 03-27-2016, 01:46 PM
Banned

I don't know about anyone's reasons but my own.

As for me, I use the comic boards because I like having
the rigidness of the boards for storing my fabric on my
Ikea "Billy" shelves. PLUS it gives me something to tape
the "labels" to which is how I track my yardage.

My shelves take up far LESS room than a dresser does,
and gives me a lot more adjustable storage space.

Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
If you fold your fabric pretty consistently, why would you want to lose the possible space for comic boards and not fabric?
Old 03-27-2016, 02:09 PM
Banned

Speaking for myself, I use the comic boards because it's an easy consistent way to keep my fabrics neat and tidy on the shelves where I can see them. They're about 1/16" thick so I'm not losing any real space. If I were to just fold fabric and put it on the shelves, they would be a huge mess in no time. Here's one of my book cases. The lower shelf is regular size bolts.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]546206[/ATTACH]

Cari
Attached Thumbnails s5032109.jpg  
Old 03-27-2016, 03:43 PM

I agree. Larger pieces, such as for backing, are stored separately from the smaller cuts.

Actually, right now I am sorta organizing. I am giving my studio a total reorganization. This means placement of bookcase,cabinets, table, design wall, sewing machine, serger, and on it goes. Two friends are going to thin the herd of stash. Only one downside to this is that my living room looks like a temporary disaster shelter for quilting/sewing supplies.

I actually have large quilting bags holding things that get recycled to other places like quilting groups or community center.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:16 AM

I wrap anything that is one yard or larger onto comic strip boards so they will stand in my bookshelf. If it's too much yardage to reasonably be wrapped, it goes into a drawer. Anything between a half yard and a yard gets wrapped onto comic strip boards that are cut in half, then are put into a clear drawer. If a scrap is smaller than a half yard, I will cut it into a fat quarter of it's big enough. Anything smaller than a fat quarter but bigger that 2 1/2" goes into my scrap bins. All are sorted by color. If a scrap is smaller than 2 1/2" it goes into a trash bag, which I then donate to a lady in my quilter's guild to make beds for shelter dogs with.

Donna
Old 03-28-2016, 11:16 PM

Organize? What's that? If it falls off the horizontal filing surface, it is one too many (is there such a thing?) My stash has become the blob - it is breeding when I'm not looking, getting ready to chase me out of the storage room entirely. Help --Hel -- He -- glub glub.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by M cubed View Post
Organize? What's that? If it falls off the horizontal filing surface, it is one too many (is there such a thing?) My stash has become the blob - it is breeding when I'm not looking, getting ready to chase me out of the storage room entirely. Help --Hel -- He -- glub glub.

Lol. that's how my stash was getting, that's why I started using the comic book boards. It really does help keep it under control.

Cari
Old 03-29-2016, 09:03 AM

https://www.paperpieces.com/ the store that makes up english paper piecing papers has come out with Polar Notions boards. https://www.paperpieces.com/polar-no...our-fabric.htm
I ruler fold by color, so haven't got an opinion on polar or comic boards but I always like to learn about an alternate option

they have a little gallery of finished studios
https://www.paperpieces.com/polar-notions-gallery.htm
Old 03-29-2016, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

A 100 pack of comic boards only takes up about 2" of space. That isn't a whole lot and it gives a nice look for storage. A minimum yard of fabric goes on my boards up to 3 yards. After that it goes on a bolt and i can get them from any fabric store or Walmart.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:25 AM
Banned

Kalama the Polar Notions boards look nice but are about 10 times more expensive than comic book boards. I know a lady who bought these for organizing her stash and spent a good chunk of change. 100 comic boards costs less than a yard of good fabric.

Tessagin your method for using the comic boards is exactly what I do. Additionally, I cut boards in half to wrap smaller pieces. Anything more than 1/4 yard but less than a full yard goes on a half board. 1/4 yard pieces get folded and put with fat quarters.

Cari