Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Finally getting rid of my digital washing machine. >

Finally getting rid of my digital washing machine.

Finally getting rid of my digital washing machine.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:07 AM

I, too do not like the new laundry appliances. The door (lid) of my new washer locks also and I hate it. I wish manufacturers would let us think for ourselves! My kids never climbed on things, used my good scissors, used my machine, etc. They knew the consequences as did hubs.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:51 AM

I had to buy a new washer 2 years ago. I hate it,hate it.... It has an agitator, but I think its just for looks. This silly thing works by throwing the clothes side to side and it is very noisy, takes forever to finish a load. I don't need a locking lid, no children here at my house.

What I liked about my old washer was being able to soak my batting and then spin it out, not with this thing.
Sharon in Texas
Old 10-07-2016, 01:23 PM

In 1974 I bought a GE washer and dryer; just a few years ago I had to replace the washing machine (mine don't 'match' either). The old washer had a lint tray on top of the agitator that the water would recycle through; it was GREAT; I could wash raggy quilts in it; it caught all the threads and loose pieces of fabric; also stuff I picked up in the yard while mowing (grass, etc) and Kleenex left in pockets. Now they no longer make them with the lint/dirt collector. I have a basic one that replaced it; the paint is already coming off the top edge; I HATE this machine. I even wrote to GE and asked why they'd quit making such a great product.

I DO still have the dryer; because I can FIX it myself. Belt and heating elements and luckily I can still get the parts.
I'm with all of you; give me the old stuff; that was sturdy and could be repaired. We are in a throw-away society. It's TERRIBLE. Well for me it is.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:37 PM

the biggest problem with new washers is they don't use enough water to get clothes clean -- the repair man told me he will continue fixing his 20 year old Maytag until it falls apart
Old 10-07-2016, 02:48 PM

Just have to add my 2 cents and I'm another odd man out in this thread but, I really like my front loading Maytag washer. We've had it for about 5 years. Our laundry comes out clean and quite dry so doesn't take long in the dryer. Still have our old dryer since I only needed a new washer and was told that a dryer is just a dryer. The efficiency of the drying comes from the washer. I can set the washing cycle for the needs of each load and it displays the time it will take, average load takes 50 minutes. I can add items after starting the cycle for a few minutes by pressing the pause button. I wouldn't want to add something after the machine has been running for long since it would miss most of the wash cycle. I really like that it uses much less water since water in area is quite expensive. Hopefully, it will keep on going! Wanted to add that ours was used to wash grandson's white baseball pants which you know were embedded with that red dirt stuff they use, not to mention grass stains,etc. came out perfectly. She loved how white she was able to get those pants! I know I sound like the Maytag salesman

Last edited by suern3; 10-07-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:53 PM

My friend insisted she needed new front liading set. They are LG, I think. I do not like them. Dryer says 30 minutes left, go back in 30 minutes, says 40 minutes left!
Old 10-07-2016, 08:22 PM

My 93 year old mother is still using the gas range my parents bought when they bought their home in 1955. She has taken such good care of it (as she does with everything) that it looks like new. She has been asked many times if she would sell it to mid-century collectors. She just laughs and says "Why would I sell it, I'm still using it.) They then ask her if she doesn't want a new one. She just says, "No, this one still works just fine." We built our home in Florida in 2003 and we are ready for our third refrigerator and not because we want a new one. We are using our second washer and dryer and have already had a major repair on the current washer. Things really don't last like they used to last. One repair man told us the manufacturers build in a break down date on today's machine parts. I don't doubt it.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:36 AM

In 2014 we moved into a new home and had to gut it. I then had to buy all new appliances. I went to Consumer's Reports web site and read not only their evaluations of the appliances but also the reviews written by subscribers. I came to the conclusion that I had to evaluate the problems folks were having with the appliances and see which ones I could live with -- I was very depressed. I did not have the money to put into the kitchen that I had when I remodeled my previous house (the 15 year old appliances were still going strong and the repair man I had check them out told me they had at least 8 more years of life). Once I moved, my new washer blew the motherboard within a month after I bought it (in the process of elimination, the repairman replaced all of the computer parts since he claimed the motherboard never goes out - hah). We replaced a 28 year old furnace and a 19 year old hot water heater -- they needed work and parts are no longer available -- but the folks who installed the new ones said we'd be lucky to get 10-12 years. Isn't planned obsolescence great.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:34 AM

This made me laugh....when I was a kid my Mom had a wringer washer now you have an idea how old I am..well the new fangled washers came out and Dad bought her a new washer....well she complained so bad that after a year Dad had to go out an get her a new wringer washer...she said the auto spin washer danced all over the basement floor....
Old 10-09-2016, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I, too do not like the new laundry appliances. The door (lid) of my new washer locks also and I hate it. I wish manufacturers would let us think for ourselves! My kids never climbed on things, used my good scissors, used my machine, etc. They knew the consequences as did hubs.
I think it's less a function of letting us think for ourselves and more a function of avoiding lawsuits. Kids used to be disciplined and didn't climb on the machine or open it up but since you can't really discipline kids anymore everyone blames the appliance makers and sues so the appliance maker has to cover himself. Between that and the govt making regulations to protect whatever the heck it is they are protecting this week, its a mess for the consumer.