Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Finally getting rid of my digital washing machine. >

Finally getting rid of my digital washing machine.

Finally getting rid of my digital washing machine.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:21 AM

I had to replace my old friend 3-4 years ago. I bought a basic model, but I still do not like it. Once I apart a cycle, I am stuck in that cycle. With my old machine I could "extend" a wash cycle by turning the dial and resetting the wash time. The feature I really miss is the ability to wash something by hand and put it into the machine just to spin for a minute or so. I also like to soak some things. Now I have to close the lid, or it will empty a few minutes after filling, and remember to go back and stop the machine.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:28 AM

We bought a used washer for our cottage. The dealer gave us a detailed report on all washers made today and I can understand why you got rid of that digital washer. They sound horrible. I know that I really like my old Maytag that has worked for over 30 years. Why do they change things ?
Old 10-06-2016, 04:32 AM

our Maytags are 44 years old.. Repairmen tell us to never get rid of them. My husband thinks only he understands them, so I let him do the laundry. LOL!
Old 10-06-2016, 04:57 AM

When the gubmint got involved in how much water a machine could use, the quality of the machines when out the window. I have an unmatched pair of Maytags. The washer sounds like two pigs fighting. I think Maytag sold to another company.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:07 AM

I only hope my washer continues to work I bought it 2 years ago and could not find a new one that I liked so went to a used appliance store and bought a refurbished one and it is great. I have heard the same about the new dishwashers if mine goes I will go back where I bought the washer only hope they would have one. They also have a big dislike for this new stuff.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:20 AM

Didn't realize it was a government decision to regulate amount of water used....that explain everything.....another place "government" loused up........should be " buyer beware of government intervention"
Old 10-06-2016, 06:33 AM

I am so glad this has been discussed. I bought a new fridgedare front load and dryer 4 years ago. Hate the washer! Clothes smell sour unless you use vinegar and or baking soda in with the detergent, and you can't soak anything, and you have to wait a minute or two after it shuts off before you can open the door. Grrrrr. Never again will I buy a front loader. So glad I'm not alone on this.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:43 AM

It sounds like I am the only one who likes a front loader...I have had Kenmore washer and dryer for 8 yrs., they are digital and I love them, no problems so far....I think the front loader is easier on clothes and quilts....keep the door ajar and no problem with odor. It does take a long time to wash tho....
Old 10-06-2016, 06:54 AM

I'm with all of you! We bought a front loading washer and matching dryer about 3 years ago. The washer sends me messages that I have to figure out, and the dryer's sensor doesn't work. At least there is a manual timed setting on the dryer. I can stop the rather annoying electronic music on the eadher, but can't seem to on the dryer. I guess they assume we do nothing but play video games with their annoying background music and actually like that. I'd love to go back to an old machine that was simple and could be repaired easily. Now all we seem to have is cheaply made imported garbage to fill up our landfills quickly. I wish manufacturers didn't buy in to the planned obsolescence.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

they dont' make them like they used to, that is for sure. no one seems to know how or care to make them quiet. You just got papers saying the noise is normal. I dont' want it to be normal. Don't even get me started on my refrigerator!