Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Are You Working On? >

What Are You Working On?

What Are You Working On?

Old 09-20-2017, 04:08 PM

I'm working on scrappy boats and whales. The blocks here will eventually be a quilt border.[ATTACH=CONFIG]580923[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 09-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I have been making quilts to donate to kids that must be removed from their homes. Been making scrappy quilts.
Today I finished sewing binding on the eight quilts. I have 28 or 30 ready to donate at Christmas time for the kids.
Tomorrow I will see what others to make. I have tons of scraps still to work with. These were my Daughters scraps, she has my scraps. She is making quilts for the kids also. We did it last year too.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:39 PM

Hmmm, let's see if I can remember all of them...

Piecing one using left over dotted fabric for the MQX Challenge next spring. I'm using the pattern "Metro Medallion" by Sew Kind of Wonderful. I'm thinking I'll name it "Oh My Eyes!!!"

Also piecing "Bohemian" by Judi Madsen. That's all in solids. May or may not enter it into a local show. I haven't decided yet.
I'm planning on doing "modern" quilting on both of these.

I finished frogging a red-white-blue Lone Star last week, and bought some dark blue backing for it this past weekend. I have to figure out how I'm going to quilt it on the LA.

I finished marking another Lone Star (Carolina Panthers colors). I created some designs for the setting blocks that look sort of like NY Beauty, and sort of like Mariner's Compass. I'm hoping to enter this one into MQX next spring also.

That's all that I'm ACTIVELY working on. Of course, there's a bazillion UFO's hanging around until I get "in the mood" for one of them. Hopefully, none of the four listed above will be UFO's... the first Lone Star actually WAS a UFO...but now that it's frogged (the back had some AWFUL pleats in it!!), hopefully I'll get it finished soon.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Gay

I lost all interest in quilting 12 mths ago, mostly due to health issues, and may be picking up a bit now. Waiting for me is the 365 Day Challenge, only have six 6" blocks to do to finish rounds 4 & 5 then I think it will be large enough for me with a border and binding.

Was also interested in trying a scrappy hexagon quilt, and have begun cutting out pieces using the same light fabrics of the Challenge, only sewing them up by machine. Thought it would be quicker than by hand, and going by some 'flowers' made of hexies gifted to me this could be true. There must be 20 hand stitches to each join (about 1 1/2") and I had wanted to un-sew them to re-use - but I can't even get the point of the unpicker in to undo them the thread is pulled so tight. But I love the fabrics used so will persevere.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Anne, there are people who use rulers to quilt shapes, you might google ruler work quilting. Circles in one they do often w/ great results. You place your FM quilting foot right against the ruler and keep it against as you go around the shape.
Hi Kassaundra...thanks for the helpful information. I had not heard about using rulers to quilt circles. Will check it out tonight.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:25 AM

Happy Fall Y'all! Our guild challenge is due at the Oct. meeting so that is what I'm working on.

We had to take our monogram letters and make a project with the these rules. The first letter, (your name) is the main Color , Middle letter, (your last name) is the name of the project and the last letter, (your middle name or maiden name) is the Motif either in the fabric design or quilting design or block design.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:51 AM

Your big stitch quilting is perfect for this quilt. I love how you achieved harmony with your scrappy look.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:11 AM

I'm just about finished making 100 pairs of flying geese. not sure what I'll do with them, as I PP them just to get rid of some 6" sqs.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:25 AM

I'll have to try big stitch quilting one day; it's probably the only hand quilting I'll ever be good at. I think what turned me off hand quilting was the fact that, no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get small even stitches-- just big stitches!
Old 09-21-2017, 08:14 AM

A wedding quilt for my daughter's friend. It is a pattern called Garden Fence from this website. I am using the brides favorite colors: hot pink, black, gray, and zebra striped for the borders and backing. It's in the quilting stage (I do my own on my Juki). She is getting married on October 7th. I think I can finish it on time.