Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Are You Working On? >

What Are You Working On?

What Are You Working On?

Old 09-20-2017, 07:22 AM

I love flying geese! Have one planned that needs over 400...
Old 09-20-2017, 07:39 AM

It's nice to hear what everyone has in the works.
I am quilting a small baby quilt. It is driving me crazy. I am doing white-thread circles on black background. I am finding it so difficult to keep the circle shape. I used the blue marking pencil that washes out but it doesn't show well enough on the black. I tried chalk and soap but can't get a fine enough line. The disappearing marker disappeared in some areas before I got the circle finished. As I do the circle, I sometimes stop to adjust and when I start again, if I'm not super careful, I get a 'bump' stitch. OMG!
Friend told me to cut some circles from sticky contact paper, stick it on, sew around it and then reuse. Will try that but I am thinking that the needle will sometimes go through the paper and make holes and the edges will become distorted. Your thoughts/suggestions?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:55 AM

I'm working on a Courthouse Stars quilt, a pineapple quilt, a mock cathedral window denim quilt, a challenge quilt, and a Stock Show quilt. I should be sewing instead of on the computer!
Old 09-20-2017, 08:06 AM

Way too many things, lol!! I'm piecing my charm double Irish chain quilt top (have all the blocks made up and am piecing together the top.) I'm also (still!) quilting my Bonnie Hunter MQ from last year. Those two are on the front seat at the moment, but I also have a wallhanging and Fall quilt in the works too. Hopefully I'll have everything done here and I'll post a pic as soon as the binding is on!

Forgot to say, I'm going to be starting a queen size Trip Around the World soon for my BIL's wedding quilt, due next summer. I hope I can do it!!

Last edited by NZquilter; 09-20-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

I am working on a Woolies over and under lap sized quilt for hubby. It looks like it is woven. I am pinning it up to quilt on the dsm. Real close to finishing now.
I also bought a santa's sleigh applique block from craftsy last week and made three of them. I set them as a runner for the family room coffee table. Just about ten inches left of the hand work to finish the binding. Yay!
I never work on just one at a time. It breaks it up to do a couple.

I also want to finish up a few baby quilt tops for donation. Oh! One child sized top I made that is for a neighbor of my sister. This little girl is adorable! Her name is Calliope. She is no bigger than a minute and a real heart stealer. So, I want to finish that dragger quilt up too.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 09-20-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by anne2016 View Post
It's nice to hear what everyone has in the works.
I am quilting a small baby quilt. It is driving me crazy. I am doing white-thread circles on black background. I am finding it so difficult to keep the circle shape. I used the blue marking pencil that washes out but it doesn't show well enough on the black. I tried chalk and soap but can't get a fine enough line. The disappearing marker disappeared in some areas before I got the circle finished. As I do the circle, I sometimes stop to adjust and when I start again, if I'm not super careful, I get a 'bump' stitch. OMG!
Friend told me to cut some circles from sticky contact paper, stick it on, sew around it and then reuse. Will try that but I am thinking that the needle will sometimes go through the paper and make holes and the edges will become distorted. Your thoughts/suggestions?
For a fine white line on dark fabric, I like the ceramic chalk mechanical pencils, like Sewline's, or Fons and Porter, or Bohn. It's like pencil lead, about .7 mm thick. I find that as soon as I am stitching with a high contrast thread, fabric combo, I freeze up and tend to mess it up more often than not (. Clover also makes an iron off white gel type marker that showns up on dark fabric, but I don't use it as often as the fine ceramic pencil. Good luck with your project!
Old 09-20-2017, 08:47 AM

On one machine is a panel quilt being FMQed for a wedding present. Another has HSTs started for a baby quilt - also a gift. The third machine that is currently set up doesn't piece or quilt. Yesterday I made a yoga bolster on that one. I have a snowball/nine patch with the binding almost on - it's a Prayers and Squares quilt, but I want to use the machine that's FMQing right now for the binding, so it's on hold unless I drag out another 301.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:32 AM

I am working on my own variation of a NY Beauty wall hanging, a class that is putting together a QAYG ruler work quilt, a baby quilt and a tree skirt. If I get any of them done soon, I'll be surprised.

Watson
Old 09-20-2017, 09:54 AM

I put aside my Garden Twist and started making a quilted tote. I rarely take a class, but I saw the sample and admired it. I was so embarrassed that I've been quilting for 30+ years and...could not cut the fabric to the right size. Had to recut three times. I kept the fact that I've been quilting for so long a secret.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:12 AM

Here's my "sneaky" preview (that's what my dumb phone changed it to earlier!) No rhyme or reason quilt, every "block" was a different size with fillers in between to make them all fit together. Every "block" is getting different big stitch hand quilting in it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]580906[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]580907[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sneak-preview-attalie.jpg   sneak-preview-2.jpg