Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Are You Working On? >

What Are You Working On?

What Are You Working On?

Old 09-20-2017, 10:19 AM

Faintly Artistic, I love the colors and arrangement of your quilt. The big stitch quilting is adding so much.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by grammasharon View Post
Faintly Artistic, I love the colors and arrangement of your quilt. The big stitch quilting is adding so much.
Thanks, grammasharon. This was my daughter's request...she forced me out of my box! Will post finished pics when I am done with the hand quilting, give me a few weeks!
I have seen your signature line several times and agree wholeheartedly!
Old 09-20-2017, 01:11 PM

It's fun to read about all of these projects. I'm working on handsewn hexies with a woodsy theme. Not sure what they will become, maybe center blocks for cafe curtains for our cottage. I'm knitting up a storm with Bamboo Blooms yarn using a really simple but satisfying pattern. I'm hoping to make a small car throw for car trips when my chauffeur is hot and I am cold from the a.c. blasting. I may move my small sewing table to a better place so I will be more motivated to use my machine.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by anne2016 View Post
It's nice to hear what everyone has in the works.
I am quilting a small baby quilt. It is driving me crazy. I am doing white-thread circles on black background. I am finding it so difficult to keep the circle shape. I used the blue marking pencil that washes out but it doesn't show well enough on the black. I tried chalk and soap but can't get a fine enough line. The disappearing marker disappeared in some areas before I got the circle finished. As I do the circle, I sometimes stop to adjust and when I start again, if I'm not super careful, I get a 'bump' stitch. OMG!
Friend told me to cut some circles from sticky contact paper, stick it on, sew around it and then reuse. Will try that but I am thinking that the needle will sometimes go through the paper and make holes and the edges will become distorted. Your thoughts/suggestions?
You might try using freezer paper for your circle templates instead of contact paper. You can iron it to your fabric shiny side down. If you happen to sew over it, it will not be sticky and them just peel it off when you are through.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:29 PM

I'm working on a reversible quilt Summer Citrus and Citrus Nights. It is made from Boom 18 block swap, and being done QAYG.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]580912[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]580913[/ATTACH]
It will have cross sashing too, just not that far along when the pics were taken.
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0042.jpg   dsc_0044.jpg  
Old 09-20-2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
You might try using freezer paper for your circle templates instead of contact paper. You can iron it to your fabric shiny side down. If you happen to sew over it, it will not be sticky and them just peel it off when you are through.
Thanks for replying.
Yes, I think freezer paper would be good but unfortunately I have never seen it in this area. I don't order online and the nearest big city is too far away from here.....not sure I would find freezer paper there even if I did make the trip. I have heard that it is carried in some quilt shops in the area but is very expensive..
Old 09-20-2017, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
For a fine white line on dark fabric, I like the ceramic chalk mechanical pencils, like Sewline's, or Fons and Porter, or Bohn. It's like pencil lead, about .7 mm thick. I find that as soon as I am stitching with a high contrast thread, fabric combo, I freeze up and tend to mess it up more often than not (. Clover also makes an iron off white gel type marker that showns up on dark fabric, but I don't use it as often as the fine ceramic pencil. Good luck with your project!
Thanks for replying. I will look for the ceramic chalk pencil but I am unlikely to find it. I live in a rural area. There are a few quilt shops but not many notions carried and when they do have them, they are very expensive. I do not order online.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:42 PM

Anne, there are people who use rulers to quilt shapes, you might google ruler work quilting. Circles in one they do often w/ great results. You place your FM quilting foot right against the ruler and keep it against as you go around the shape.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:14 PM

Making Christmas table toppers, lap quilts, and baby quilts. Having fun!!!!
Old 09-20-2017, 03:26 PM

I'm ready to quilt "It's Fall Y'all". 2500 pieces in this one, glad it's almost done!!!
Attached Thumbnails 003.jpgsm.jpg